Paragon 1/48 Manchester L7301 (and Lincoln RA679 too!)

12 hours ago, woody37 said:

Ha ha, there's still the obligatory two steps back to do yet that every build has 😂

More commonly known as the modellers waltz.

I must have done enough of them to qualify for Strictly Come Dancing.

• Like 2

I like that! It's my modellers signature, every build has a fundamental flaw that someone points out when I've finished 😂

Made more ore progress on the Manchester since the last photos, one wing has been detailed and assembled the engines. The carb intakes on top of the engines look a little short compared to drawings and photos so they were extended yesterday with miliput. I'll take some more photos tomorrow. I'm hoping to be on the fuselage next weekend although all being well, picking up a new dog on Saturday so may get distracted. As a massive dog lover, haven't owned one since leaving my parents, so rather excited. My son has been mithering for one for years! At least there will be someone who's excited to see me when I walk in the house, all I get at the moment is a slight glance over the IPad 😂

• Like 2

We need pictures of Fido, Rex, Brutus or even Spike when you get it home

I miss my old mate too much but so does the gaffer and she says not no more  :(

At least I have his picture watching me make my Modeller's Two Steps, the waltz is too stately to describe my moves

Remember Neil

Pictures

• Like 3

17 hours ago, perdu said:

We need pictures of Fido, Rex, Brutus or even Spike when you get it home

I miss my old mate too much but so does the gaffer and she says not no more  :(

At least I have his picture watching me make my Modeller's Two Steps, the waltz is too stately to describe my moves

Remember Neil

Pictures

Roscoe is his name, a lovely Staffy. I guess we can change his name, but quite like it! My parents are the same, they lost their last one about 3 years ago, my dad having dogs since he was in his 20's, but they wanted to get some travelling in before the sand runs through! I can see it getting lots of walks whilst we're out though! I have some great memories of their dogs so know how you feel. There will be plenty of photo's when (fingers crossed), we get him :)

Back to some plastic and resin before it all gets chewed up, here's a shot of the Lincoln and Manchester wings side by side, that's some difference in lift!

36543381316_8020096ce1_b_d.jpg

I deliberated on how best to tackle the wing surfaces and decided to keep them in line with the inner wing detail provided in the kit, ie. with some raised detail and some recessed detail. Whilst not strictly accurate and sinful for rivet counters, I'm quite happy with the result. The raised areas were done using 5 though plasticard which matches the raised detail quite well on the Tamiya wing areas. Still some more fettling to be done, but one wing is almost there....

36543381196_6942bfac45_b_d.jpg

Here's the engines minus the exhausts as I wasn't sure what type was going to be fitted. I think I'm settling on the aircraft L7301 (ZN-D of 106 Sqn) where PO Manser was awarded the VC, so that will allow me to choose the right exhaust type. You can see the use of miliput to extend the intake fairings on top...

36543380946_5073839b03_b_d.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 11

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Neil, two great build you have going on, you're keeping me interested.

Colin

PS. Looking forward to Driffield show if you and Tony can make it?

Hoping to mate :)

cheers guys.

got the Colorado white codes delivered today from the US ready for the lincoln. 2 sets to ensure I have enough for any scheme!

Well Neil, this is really quite spectacular and although I haven't commented until now, I have been following and enjoyed both of these threads immensely.

Love the work you churn out Matey, and the way it's presented makes following the thread nice and relaxing. Nice photography as well; better than most magazine articles.

Catch up with you for a chat soon.

Chris.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:49 AM, stringbag said:

Well Neil, this is really quite spectacular and although I haven't commented until now, I have been following and enjoyed both of these threads immensely.

Love the work you churn out Matey, and the way it's presented makes following the thread nice and relaxing. Nice photography as well; better than most magazine articles.

Catch up with you for a chat soon.

Chris.

Just noticed your comment matey, lets catch up soon :)

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, Cees Broere said:

Neil,

Good to see both Lincoln and Manchester getting attention. Good example I should follow up soon as I'm too Netflixed at the moment.

lol, my son is on that when he isn't You-Tubing!

Well, I haven't got much done over the last few weeks but did get a bit done this weekend. This is the reason for the delay, we got him from Cheshire Dogs Home a few weeks ago and he's an absolute joy to have a round :)

36671725660_2866d3f353_z_d.jpg

Back to the Manchester, the wings are now done and work has started on the fuselage again...

37068293605_7ff70569bd_o_d.jpg

37068293515_b0579786a3_o_d.jpg

37068293155_85c7d332e6_b_d.jpg

I've somewhat cheated in the cockpit. To keep things simple, I've painted out the instruments that shouldn't be in the Manchester cockpit on the panel and engineers panel although I've not come across a photo of the latter, so artistic license prevails. Once the lid is on, the over paint won't be as noticeable. 

37068293295_948a0ba921_b_d.jpg

37068293425_d65afef666_b_d.jpg

• Like 11

Excellent work on the Manchester and Lincoln :clap:

Beautiful Staffordshire Terrier. 👍 My Family had several until the 1990's and the laws changed. My local town at the time mandated carrying a $300,000.00 insurance policy on all Staffordshires, or as they're known here "pitbulls".  Because of all the bad press they get in this country. All because idiots torture them.

• Sad 3

Wow, that's ridiculous. He is a great family dog, not the slightest streak of aggression in him. Infact, the only time he barks is at the vacuum cleaner and lawn mower!

It's the idiots that should be banned, not the dogs.

He's currently running round the house without a cause!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers guys.

Made a bit more progress this week as the reality of Telford drawing closer is hitting home!

As well as time being a challenge at the moment, space is too! Building two 1/48 Avro heavies at once poses some issues, not helped by my lack of tidiness which is surprising given high levels of OCD about the rest of the house :rofl:

36996355621_452b17ccd4_b_d.jpg

I want to get as many clear bits fitted prior to final priming so this is the current focus for both aircraft. I've had a slight slip with the knife cutting out the Lincoln bomb aimers vac front panel but there's nothing I can do about it now. That said, it fits well..... in fact pretty damn perfect. I also cracked the rear of the cockpit removing the attached astrodome to make way for the larger one fitted to the Lincoln, but fortunately, that appears to be painted on many Lincolns so I can hide that cock up...phew! Many photo's show the Avro's parked with cockpit windows open so they've been cut out and will be refitted in such a position and some masking tape applied across the gap ready for painting

36302335304_d5dae45833_b_d.jpg

36949546856_6b74b0f5a8_b_d.jpg

36302335264_517409a2be_b_d.jpg

The Manchester has a mast protruding out of the cockpit at the rear, so a slot was cut and this will be fitted at the end. I only have 72 scale drawings at hand, so scaled it up from the Warpaint one to get the dimensions....

36967150222_d0ef150401_o_d.jpg

The two side by side...

36967150102_2cbe9a0883_b_d.jpg

The Manchester fuselage needs rescribing once I've got a coat of primer on. Progress is happening but not as fast as I'd like!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12

I wish I could rush! Having Kleered the canopies and left the windows open, there's a lot to see in those cockpits so I've ordered a couple of seatbelt sets. You can get away with bits of masking tape in 1/72 scale, but in 48, the detail needs to be a bit better. Got some primer on the Manc fuselage earlier and it doesn't look too bad, so a bit of fettling before starting on the scribing. Some real life stuff to do today though :(