Quarter Scale SdKfz 232

I actually started working on this kit in 2015, but it went back in the box when some other things grabbed my fancy.

Back then I attempted to improve Tamiya's lame attempt at the radio antenna. I shaved off the solid cross bit and replaced it with a few pieces of styrene rod bent to the approximate shape. It isn't perfect, but it captures the general look of the real thing. 

IMG_20170603_220132137_HDR.jpg

I also began work on the commander figure. I'm not much of a figure painter. For now I got his face looking generally human, but I need to work on his hair and uniform. I'm using multiple transluscent coats of Vallejo paints, but I'm finding trouble with brush control, so things are looking a little blah! Still, better than some of my earlier attempts.

IMG_20170603_010126865_HDR.jpg

And now moving on to the model proper. The major hull and turret components came together within about 15 minutes. 

IMG_20170603_215836318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170603_220100032_HDR.jpg

about a half hour after that, the suspension units are on. They're simple but effective. Super-detailers can have a field day here, but since I'll be mounting the model to a base, this is more than good enough for me. 

IMG_20170603_222138901_HDR.jpg

That is about all for now. More tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Moving rapidly along.

I got the fenders on this morning. I added a PE latch to the shovel and PE mudguards. I don't like using PE, so I'm only selecting a few elements from the Hauler set, I got for this kit.

IMG_20170604_112846711_HDR.jpg

And test fitting the wheels.

IMG_20170604_113019386_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

more little bits glued on. Its ALMOST ready for primer

I lost one of the towing clevises, and will have to make one from scratch. 

I also need to add the mufflers and their PE shrouds, which will require some creative three-dimensional bending. Not looking forward to that part. 

All that towards the end of the week, as I'm doing field research this week, and will be away from home until Thursday or Friday, and I really don't like modeling from hotel rooms. 

IMG_20170604_221107972_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Moving along to the pre-painting. 

I have the whole thing almost entirely assembled. The Hauler PE muffler guards are much nicer than the kit pieces, but they were tricky as heck, to bend to shape. I still need to add the rear lights and license plate brackets. They're not on there simply because I forgot about them :-/

The whole thing got a primer coat of Tamiya white primer. The bottom half was sprayed Tamiya khaki drab, as a base for further dirty mud shades. This is an experiment. We'll see if it works. 

Next, will be the blue gray shades, as per Pat Johnson's style. 

IMG_20170610_163625985_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170610_163642262_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

a bit more tonight.

base coat of dark gray and blue

IMG_20170610_220910814_HDR.jpg

and first round of highlights with a mix of royal gray, sky blue, an white. 

Yes, I know its light blue, but actual panzer gray looks dark and boring in smaller scales, This should also make a nice bright base for subsequent dark color weathering.

IMG_20170610_224033131_HDR.jpg

I hope I can pull it off. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Next, will be the blue gray shades, as per Pat Johnson's style. 

The 1/48th scale master.

Looking good so far on what is a fairly small model.

John.

On 6/11/2017 at 4:27 AM, Bullbasket said:

The 1/48th scale master.

Looking good so far on what is a fairly small model.

John.

He's one of my favorite modelers on the web. 

Lets see if the results of this can come anywhere near what he achieves. 

Over the weekend I applied decals and flat coat, along with a few packs from a Legends set.

IMG_20170611_214008312_HDR.jpg

Yikes! That looks like a toy! 

and now with the first dark brown filter. It is still cartoonie, but starting to look the part. Funny, in the late 1990s, I (and many other armor modelers) would have considered this done.

IMG_20170611_220013151_HDR.jpg

My lamps are really catching and amplifying some highlights, which are not nearly as stark IRL. These will be toned down with subsequent weathering steps.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Kris B said:

Looks like you gonna finish it before the weekend. So far so good. 

Maybe not quite this weekend, but soonish.

I added a second light brown filter and then began the process of adding a dark muck into recesses, and built up over lips and ledges.

There are many minor adjustments left to do, but with oils' slow drying time, I can come back and mess around later. 

IMG_20170613_232606383_HDR.jpg

• Like 3