Airfix Triumph Herald.

Chaps.

Here we go then.

Bit of a slow start, but this is the rebox of the 1967 Airfix Triumph Herald.

I chose this as it was the first car I drove back in the early Eighties.

My mate had one for his rather small garden! We had about 30 yards of running with no ability of us turning it around.

It first appeared as white, then my mate spray painted it with aerosol cans. It looked, erm, interesting!

It was a soft top, but this'll be my take on the car, so I'll go with the hard top option.

y4m5HT26Zb8FtpJoT0ZHeKtHm8ydCJIX-DaoTaHb

I won't be making this a beautiful, highly detailed build. It'll be quick (by my standards!) build, OOB.

The kit would be a good starting point for someone, who was inclined, to make a very nice replica of the Herald.

I'm not that inclined!

Rick.

Off for a bit more painting.

• Like 7

Seeing as I'm not going to show the mighty engine (!) I've glued the bonnet to the body to help alignment when fitting everything together.

The panels look to match up far better than the original!

ick

• Like 7

It looks a nice little kit rick, it would make a super vignette scene, will it be sky blue with the white stripe, an old fella had one that colour at the end of our road when i was a nipper,

Glynn

• Like 1

This'll be a pretty Ratty looking beast when it's done!

I have to do a bit of "Cut-N-Shut" on the chassis as it's a little long by about 1.5 mm.

Again, better build tolerance than the real thing!

Rick.

8 hours ago, Rick Brown said:

This'll be a pretty Ratty looking beast when it's done!

I have to do a bit of "Cut-N-Shut" on the chassis as it's a little long by about 1.5 mm.

Again, better build tolerance than the real thing!

Rick.

Just in case you need a source reference Rick ;)

3344307536_df39fdf9e9.jpg

• Like 2

I spotted an "H"-plate Vitesse outside our local Halfords (other motorists' centres are available) this Sunday past.  Sorry I can't post pictures but it looked pretty good for its age, just a bit of scuffing on the front bumper offside and slightly tired looking paint (which might have been a function of the poor lighting conditions that day).  Slightly off-white with red cheat line, black interior and walnut(?) dash: lovely!

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

Great to see this oldie getting built Rick,got to be getting on for forty years since I worked my way through these Airfix cars(badly)!

Great start.

• Like 1

Well progress has been, erm, steady!

A bit of Halfords white primer.

I've been racking my brains about the interior colours, and I think it was red with black trim.

I'm feeling a little guilty about ratting it up a bit as it's such a nice little kit!

Oh well, may have to build another in show room condition.....

Rick.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Looking good Rick,I might have to have a go at one of these Airfix oldies in the future.

It's really worth it Steve. It's a great little kit. It hasn't even really had any filler.

Just a bit of flash clean up and a wipe with a sanding stick here and there.

Rick.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get various shades of black on before I gave up with the heat. Don't worry about the seats, they'll be toned down eventually! 

I hope this looks as bad as a couple of young teenagers could do with rattle cans! 

Back to the cold drinks!

Rick.

• Like 7

Just catching up with this Rick.

I had one as my third car. A 1964 1200cc. I can even remember the number plate: ADM 900B.

It was more or less a RAF uniform blue with lovely light blue interior and yes, that gorgeous walnut dash. Nice shiny clocks, chrome edges around them.

They were nice cars, tiny turning circle. The gearbox worked fine, but made that old fashioned whining noise, like Chippy Minton's van in Trumpton. I'm sure his van must have been based on a Herald :D!

I didn't know the kit had been re-released; had only seen it at expensive collectors prices. 

Great to see this build; it's flown together nicely.

I'm a bit scared about what's going to happen next with paint :door: !

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Looking good Rick, definitely needs some flames on.

I'm still trying to work out the best way for the flames.

I'll practice on a sheet of card tomorrow.

Trouble is, I've had to move a load of work kit into the man cave till Monday. I can't easily get to the work bench!

Rick.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'll go to those lengths to create that flame look John!

Bit more done:

Hand painted (with an old broom by the looks of it!) white wall tyres.

Having trouble getting the glazing to fit.

Rick.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm calling this done.

I'll get some better pictures for the weekend and plonk a couple in the Gallery.

I've tried to paint this as badly as a couple of young teenagers would have done and added the usual things that were all the rage back then.

Bent coat hanger antenna, obligatory stupidly long FireStick CB antenna, hand painted white walls and flames. Always needed flames.

Youngsters may want to ask your parents about all these weird sounding accessories.

I could add the artificial side pipe and Confederate flag, but ran out of time (and to be fair, inclination!).

y4muPhsPJDgWx1EO2n9Bf8MC92aExRXhTwW1xVFW

y4m9YAOBQIcGsLdHj06R0ys7jVagUOEiKQ352tu3

y4mkJ6CmFxoqSZM8aeSuyZ9bkh79kgy-h3vHcJUx

y4mNFXp--qg5uaDC97qldKpvDcbYtBfJQxMZH2Lv

y4mwahOhgHLVeVGcXpWUycdvBLcbJCz79lfDdeuO

Rick.

PS. Sorry if I've offended any Herald fans out there!

• Like 2

Oops, I should add the following I guess.

OOB, apart from silly aerials.

Used good old Halfords white primer, Vallejo MA black for the main body work and various other acrylics from the stash for all other colours.

Oils were used for the weathering. 

This is basically a lovely old kit with few vices. There's very little flash and the gates aren't too big.

The only trouble area was fitting the front and rear windscreens. The instructions would have you putting them in from the inside. This is pretty well impossible.

Lots of sanding/test fitting required before they go on from the outside.

I can whole heatedly recommend this kit for any Triumph fans.

Cheers for looking.

Rick.

PS. Sorry about the lack of build thread pictures. That was the great PhotoBucket episode of 2017.