DH Hornet Questions

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

I know little about the DH Hornet, and just received a 1/48th Hornet F.1 from Trumpeter. I noticed the kit comes with both the non-filleted and the filleted fins. So here are my questions:

1-Were any Hornet Is camouflaged? If what colors

2- Did the Hornet I have the fin fillet added?

3 What other variants can I do from what is in the box.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The Trumpeter Hornet has more than it's fair share of problems: there was a "how to" thread on this forum soon after the kit appeared but it seems to have gone very quiet (search for "Hornet FIXATION" or words to that effect).

Hornet 1s normally wore Medium Sea Grey upper surfaces with PRU Blue undersides: the colour demarcation was low on the fuselage sides but, IIRC, along the upper engine cowling panel joint.  National markings were the so-called "Type B" in Red and Blue.  Squadron identity letters were in White with serial numbers n Night.

AFAIK no service Hornet 1s had the fin fillet, but I could be very wrong.

You could do a Mk. 3 from the box provided that you also have the long-span tailplane and elevator parts.  The navalsed F. My. 20 will require, at the very least, an arrestor hook.

HTH,

Steve.o

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2017 at 8:09 PM, Bruce Archer said:

Hi All!

I know little about the DH Hornet, and just received a 1/48th Hornet F.1 from Trumpeter. I noticed the kit comes with both the non-filleted and the filleted fins. So here are my questions:

1-Were any Hornet Is camouflaged? If what colors

2- Did the Hornet I have the fin fillet added?

3 What other variants can I do from what is in the box.

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

No Mk.I Hornets were camoflaged. Just the standard Medium Sea Grey over PRU Blue.

It is written that some MK.I's were retro-fitted with the fin fillet, but there is no photographic proof of this unfortunately. Also, I don't know where this "fact" came from, as I've searched much of the original source material and never found reference to it either.

From the Trumpeter box, you could make a MkI, and a PRII. The PRII was a short run (5 I think) attempt at making a PR aircraft, but of the five production aircraft only one was used in service as a Sector Leaders play thing. They were painted PRU Blue all over.

Hope this helps,

David

• Like 1