How to use my Tamiya scriber

BIG X

After finally filling some seams I have inevitably lost a panel line :doh:  I bought the Tamiya scriber last year - used it once and created a huge scratch and no panel line.  So it's time to ask for professional advice.  I'm sure the scriber is perfectly good for the job and I am equally sure I just need some tips.  Like how do I create a straight line with my sausage fingers and failing eyesight.

As always - all tips gratefully received - thanks in advance - Steve

top.jpg

Invest in some Dymo tape - the stuff used for making plastic stick-on labels.

Its thick enough and flexible enough to act as a guide.

Before scribing tho, lightly score a line with the point of a scalpel blade; this will help guide the scriber as well

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Before scribing tho, lightly score a line with the point of a scalpel blade; this will help guide the scriber as well

Dymo tape - a real blast from the past - any idea where to get hold of it these days...

11 minutes ago, NobleSavage said:

WOW - that guy has a very steady hand and obviously a ton of experience - I bet it's not as easy as he makes it look though ;)

• Like 1

Just now, BIG X said:

WOW - that guy has a very steady hand and obviously a ton of experience - I bet it's not as easy as he makes it look though ;)

Yeah, he makes it look very easy, but just watching a master at work can be helpful, I bought some styrene sheets to practice on, it's very tricky but definitely gets easier over time, I think confidence is key also. :wink:

7 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

You can also use the new type wich is made from paper, i already tried it an it works in the same way..

...tell me more - made from paper?  How strong / thick is it?  Where can I get my hands on it - or the original plastic one?

Just now, NobleSavage said:

Yeah, he makes it look very easy, but just watching a master at work can be helpful, I bought some styrene sheets to practice on, it's very tricky but definitely gets easier over time, I think confidence is key also. :wink:

D'you know - I never remember to test / practice before I commit to a complete disaster - I think it is my biggest problem with many modelling related issues.

They say you live and learn - DOH!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Do I peel off the backing and stick it to my model - or just use it a 'straight edge' and maybe mask it down with tape...

Peel off the backing is my way

I got mine in a regular large stationers; maybe WH Smith will have it

I cut mine in half; cos I'm stinngy and its expensive, and I find the thinner strips go round curves better

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Peel off the backing is my way

I got mine in a regular large stationers; maybe WH Smith will have it

I cut mine in half; cos I'm stinngy and its expensive, and I find the thinner strips go round curves better

Great tip - thanks a million!

can anyone post a link or proper product code for the HARD dymo plastic tape - Staples seem to do loads - but I don't want to buy the wrong stuff...

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

I got mine off of ebay 👍🏿

Is it the tough old fashioned plastic type.  I don't suppose you have a picture of the box / cassette - or any reference code... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dymo-Embossing-Tape-Self-Adhesive-Assorted/dp/B003875FAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496412860&sr=8-2&keywords=dymo+tape

Another suggestion is to use layers of Tamiya and electricians tape. One layer of Tamiya for the low tack, followed by a few layers of electricians for strength. Cut a nice clean edge to whatever width you need. The thickness of the tape layers will guide the blade.

It’s not as good as using Dymo, but works when some silly bugger has managed to misplace his rolls of Dymo.:blush:

Alternatively, use scrap photo etch ‘sprue’. The outside leftover ‘frame’ of a photoetch sheet. Tape the thin brass down where you need it and use that as a straight edge. Strong and flexible and works wonders for going around fuselages.

Mart

• Thanks 1

As Mart said, I use electrical tape. I also use a strip of plasticard about 5” long, with some sandpaper (held on by double-sided tape) on the back to stop it slipping – which works well for small areas and easily bends around curved bits.

When I started using the Tamiya scriber I had the same problems as you, but I've found that starting with a very light scribe, then slightly heavier etc. is much more successful than attempting to do it in one go, particularly for us clumsy buggers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Is it the tough old fashioned plastic type.  I don't suppose you have a picture of the box / cassette - or any reference code... 

Yeah its the old plastic type. Got it ages ago. Didn't come in any box or the like just a clear ziplock bag.

Just type what you're after into the search box. 

• Like 1

...just tried the thin plasticard with double sided tape on the back - it could be the way forward - with a lot more practice :)

Sorry, my original post may not have been clear. I use sandpaper on the back of the plasitcard to stop the plasticard slipping on the surface of the model. The sandpaper is attached to the card with double-sided tape. This method is only really suitable for small scribe lines.

Using double-sided tape directly on the model may leave sticky residue and as some tape can be quite strong, you may struggle to get the plasticard off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

Dymo tape - a real blast from the past - any idea where to get hold of it these days...

I got mine from Rymans, but I'm sure that you can get some in the Brazilian rain forest.

Trevor

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BIG X said:

...tell me more - made from paper?  How strong / thick is it?  Where can I get my hands on it - or the original plastic one?

I don't know where you can buy the paper type in the UK but it should be widely available at an office supplyer..

To be short every type of dymo tape should work..new type or old..

The new type is a cartridge.

Edited by janneman36
info added
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BIG X said:

...just tried the thin plasticard with double sided tape on the back - it could be the way forward - with a lot more practice :)

I've bit the bullet and ordered these on Amazon...

81z8bbi0InL._SX355_.jpg

3 rolls for £7.25 with free delivery - a worthy investment for a skill I need to learn :)

• Like 1