Camaro-50-2.jpg

camaro-50-4.jpg

camaro-50-5.jpg

camaro-50-7.jpg

camaro-50-9.jpg

camaro-50-8.jpg

Camaro-50-10.jpg

camaro-50-11.jpg

Definitely not my usual sort of thing, but I spotted a "damaged box" on eBay for £15, so I thought "why not"? I'd heard good things about the kit,despite it starting life as a snap-kit,  and I wasn't disappointed. There was a tad more flash than you'd expect on such a new release, and the plastic is a bit brittle (the tie rod between the steering front wheels snapped the second time I tried to squeeze the wheels parallel...). But the detail is very impressive, especially on the engine and chassis/suspension. The interior comes up well with some detail painting (though not a lot is visible, as you can see). I thought I'd overdone the orange stitching on the seats, but it needs to be a bit OTT to see at all in the gloom. Paint is Tamiya rattle can metallic black, cleared with TS-13, and polished gently with Novus #2. I've never found such a finish before for attracting fluff and dust out of the air -- the marks you can see are not, thank goodness, stuck to the paint, but you only have to pick it up and it magnetically attracts crud. My only disappointment was the decals, which are pixellated and for things like the "Fifty" legends ahead of the doors become quite invisible in parts on the black. I'd have preferred a metallic sheet, or at least one with solid inks. Keen-eyed folks will notice that I'm waiting on the red "Camaro" decals for the engine, which I managed to tip Microsol on and ruin, and a UK number plate at the rear. Choices, choices: should it be C4MRO, or CMR 50, or MB50 CMR?

best,

M.

• Like 4