blu-tack vs plasticine for masking

BIG X

Is anyone using plasticine for masking - if so - how does it compare to blu-tack in the stickiness and shaping departments - any constructive comments would be welcomed as usual.

Thanks in advance - Steve

Not good from my experience with plasticine.  It's also more likely to leak oily residue (and in addition, dye) quicker than Blu-Tak.  Best bet is white-tak, as it doesn't seem to have the residue at all.

• Like 5

Cheers Mike - don't like the sound of that oily residue...  I bought a job lot of white-tak from Hobbycraft in Stockport - a quid a pack - but it actually seems to get stickier the more I use it - which seems odd - I would have expected the opposite.

I am trying to keep the undercarriage bay on a hurricane masked off whilst I apply sky to the underside.

Try leaving a piece of plasticine, a piece of blu-tak and a piece of white-tak on a piece of white paper overnight, and see what's left.  Unless they've changed the formulation of it recently, plasticine will leave a mucky mess.  Blu-tak is fine unless you leave it too long, and white-tak (which I haven't tried very often) isn't supposed to leave any.  When you say "stickier the more I use it", do you mean after spraying paint over it?  That might be the cause of the stickiness? :shrug:

• Like 1

Here is another thought - does anyone know how to make blu / white tack less sticky - google has a million ways to make it stickier - but nothing about how to make it less sticky - confused :confused:

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Talc?  Microballoons?  A blow torch? :wicked:

Talc might be an idea - what on earth are microballoons though....

They're tiny-weeny little (I think?) hollow glass beads... they look like talc, and weigh almost nothing.  I think they use them to thicken and strengthen epoxy resins and the like in engineering.  Just don't sneeze while you've got the bottle open. :owww:

• Like 2

Microbaloons are used to make resin lighter - they do not add strength.

I have used BluTac for masking and it did a good job in my opinion. No issues but I never left it on the masked parts for more than a couple of days. Never tried white tac and would never try plasticine for masking for the above reasons and because I think it is in general a lot messier to shape it than BluTac.

René

• Like 1

Kneading/rip apart Blu-tac makes it tackier, but it may be the fact that it warms up that results in the added tackiness. Perhaps putting it in the fridge my reduce the tackiness – not tried it so only guessing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

Kneading/rip apart Blu-tac makes it tackier, but it may be the fact that it warms up that results in the added tackiness. Perhaps putting it in the fridge my reduce the tackiness – not tried it so only guessing.

I do tend to rip it when its covered in paint - stretching it and folding in the paint until it has all vanished - this could be the cause.  If it is though I can see myself going through a lot more of it - good job I got those 10 packs of whitetac - maybe time to try a new batch...

It's good practice to toss it out when it gets a bit grubby looking anyway - you never know what it might do to the underlying paint after it's filthy :S

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's good practice to toss it out when it gets a bit grubby looking anyway - you never know what it might do to the underlying paint after it's filthy :S

Wise words O Great One - I guess I'm being a cheapskate.  I think I'll hang on to them though - just for sticking cocktail stick impaled parts on whilst their paint dries.  I have 2 lumps of blutac the size of tennis balls - they weigh a ton too :lol: 

UPDATE - My new stash of Hobbycraft whitetac has worked a treat - stuck well - but peeled off clean with no residue - I guess I was just being a skinflint with the old stuff.

Thanks Mike / Gorby - et al - plenty of team hugs gong on today :grouphug:

We often learn by our experiences, and can sometimes be reticent to chuck stuff away just to squeeze "one more job" out of it.  Been there, done that :shrug: It's the old adage of the right tools for the job though. ;)

• Like 1