Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Damn decent of you Martian he tends to lurk a lot these days, ever since the estate's cricket debacle where he disgraced himself at the crease...would you be a dear thing and bundle him up, keeping the potty on his head and post him back here second class, post haste, (don't bother with recorded delivery I'm not signing for him) ....I have a few errands I want him to run, mainly to the local bird sanctuary, village fire station and the estate's insurance brokerage.

Where's this blasted Blackburn thingy they're all on about ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Damn decent of you Martian he tends to lurk a lot these days, ever since the estate's cricket debacle where he disgraced himself at the crease...would you be a dear thing and bundle him up, keeping the potty on his head and post him back here second class, post haste, (don't bother with recorded delivery I'm not signing for him) ....I have a few errands I want him to run, mainly to the local bird sanctuary, village fire station and the estate's insurance brokerage.

Where's this blasted Blackburn thingy they're all on about ?

I'll send him back via Parcel Farce, there's a sporting chance that they will be able to loose him somewhere.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'd have let the Cormorants have him.

BTW, I was inna van, delivering liquid sustenance

to certain pub's in Harmston, Coleby & Welbourn.

A most entertaining proposition, though for some strange reason, the General wants him back?

Perplexed of Mars

In a late news item, copious amounts of plastic strip have been laminated together and are curing in preparation for carving the correct main fuel tank for the fuselage.

• Like 5

In a late news item, copious amounts of plastic strip have been laminated together and are curing in preparation for carving the correct main fuel tank for the fuselage.

I'm sorry Perspex of Mars but this nugget will just have to wait.....a man's trousers may depend on it..

Pete, I think you probably meant to say that you were drinking van loads of liquid sustenance having been delivered to certain pubs in Harmston, Coleby & Welbourn......by thunder not the Thorold Arms, Tempest Arms or the Bell at Coleby by any chance ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

I'm sorry Perspex of Mars but this nugget will just have to wait.....a man's trousers may depend on it..

I know but I am an impatient alien at heart and for some perverse reason I like carving blocks of white plastic, added to which I need to get this bit sorted out before I can move on with the interior.

Martian

• Like 1

I know but I am an impatient alien at heart 

This of course is not news to the authorities.......well, like Mungo Park, keep carving your way into the interior, I'm sure as ever the results will be well worth the effort expended. We happy band of plastic carving nut-jobs really should be heavily medicated...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, general melchett said:

This of course is not news to the authorities.......well, like Mungo Park, keep carving your way into the interior, I'm sure as ever the results will be well worth the effort expended. We happy band of plastic carving nut-jobs really should be heavily medicated...

I really am heavily medicated and it really hasn't helped much has it? :mental: In fact, many who know me argue that it has made things worse! :mental::mental:

Martian von Wibble

• Like 1

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

by thunder not the Thorold Arms, Tempest Arms or the Bell at Coleby by any chance ?  

Indeed, the Thorold, the Tempest and the Joiners.

(Jeremy at the Joiners makes a fine cup of tea for us Draymen)

(We also supply cask ales to the three Horseshoes & the Horse & Jockey in Waddo)

I've numbered my pills so 'they' can't steal any.

• Like 2

I really am heavily medicated and it really hasn't helped much has it? :mental:

Good point my old friend...but it's a totally different sort of medication needed now, one that involves lots of words that start with 'psych' and end with 'chosis' !

A likely tale..herbal I bet.

Ah the Horse and Jockstrap, a fine watering hole...and within staggering distance of the base too....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Indeed, the Thorold, the Tempest and the Joiners.

(We also supply cask ales to the three Horseshoes & the Horse & Jockey in Waddo)

I've numbered my pills so 'they' can't steal any.

All a bit close to wherecI spent my teenage years; Brant Broughton, to be precise.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2017 at 02:11, Martian Hale said:

The slightly cooler weather has allowed me to get a bit more done on the Roc. The target winch was mounted on the aircraft's turret ring which was an integral part of the fuselage structure and a small panel butted up against the winch's forward edge It is this panel that has been the focus of tonight's efforts. The panel sits on top of a bulkhead and this has had to be very carefully cut down to accept the panel. Once glued in place, the rear of the new panel has to be cut very accurately to accommodate the turret ring. To add strength to what is a weak area of the model, the ring was very securely glued to the panel and port fuselage side. So far this model has proved one of the harder builds I have done, mostly due to the accuracy and fit of the new scratch built parts needing to be close to 100% to avoid distorting the fuselage and ending up with transparencies that won't fit. 

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Martin,

I don't know if you have access to the Air Publication on the Roc (I couldn't face wading through the lunacy of the thread to find out), but thought you might find these two images useful if not.  As you can see the support platform for the TT gear should be a little lower than you have at the moment, relative to the rear decking and the aft fuselage structure, though the adjustment should be an easy fix. 

img083_zpstfgx7ocy.jpg

img084_zpsafsmsjnh.jpg

The AP also has a useful schematic of the floats and attachment points. If you think these would be helpful, let me know. 

HTH,

IG

Edited by iang
  • Like 7

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 06:57, Martian Hale said:

Surely, here we are discussing something that directly effects us all, regardless of political persuasion?

Thanks Pete, I wonder what the General and Darling can have been up to?

I look forward to seeing your efforts. The Roc used the same turret as the Defiant so you may well have more joy looking up details of the Defiant turret.

Martian

Thank you Martian,

Yes, I knew, the détails shot are from a Defiant.

IRL is really demanding these days, hope that I can working on some plastic in the evening...

See you later.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iang said:

Martin,

I don't know if you have access to the Air Publication on the Roc (I couldn't face wading through the lunacy of the thread to find out), but thought you might find these two images useful if not. 

img083_zpstfgx7ocy.jpg

img084_zpsafsmsjnh.jpg

Two very useful images, Ian: thank you very much.  One sees more pictures of Rocs without turrets than with but this is the first info I've seen on what the turret "hole" on a TT looks like.

Two questions:

1.  Do you know what model the winch is so I can perhaps derive additional info from the photos of winches on other TT types in "The Long Drag"?

2.  I can't recall having noticed the target flag pannier on a Roc before: was it a removable/optional fitting?  (ISTR photos of Vengeance IVs where, it seemed to me, the outline of the removed pannier was evident under the bomb bay.)

Thanks again for two really useful photos, and also to Martin for initiating this thread on one of the FAA's unsung heroines.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

All a bit close to where I spent my teenage years; Brant Broughton, to be precise.

That would explain the faded Wanted! posters on the village notice board then.

There is a blue plaque on a house there but it's something to do with

thrashing threshing machines. (This being Lincolnshire and all)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Two very useful images, Ian: thank you very much.  One sees more pictures of Rocs without turrets than with but this is the first info I've seen on what the turret "hole" on a TT looks like.

Two questions:

1.  Do you know what model the winch is so I can perhaps derive additional info from the photos of winches on other TT types in "The Long Drag"?

2.  I can't recall having noticed the target flag pannier on a Roc before: was it a removable/optional fitting?  (ISTR photos of Vengeance IVs where, it seemed to me, the outline of the removed pannier was evident under the bomb bay.)

Thanks again for two really useful photos, and also to Martin for initiating this thread on one of the FAA's unsung heroines.

My pleasure. I don't know the answers to either of your questions I'm afraid, but there are photos of TT Rocs with the flag pannier. Here's one from 771 Squadron 1942:

img085_zpsnaegjy75.jpg 

And another diagram from AP1571, that shows the seating arrangements, among other details:

img087_zpsspltj8on.jpg

IG

• Like 4

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work. I'm loving this build more and more. I have a Floater in the stash, I might just get it out after the BIG 0.

johnny.:giles:

Glad you are enjoying the thread but any more of your floaters and you will turn into the Baroness and I am afraid we will have to call thee vet!

5 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Two questions:

I shall be sorting out which winch was used myself soon and I will be sure to let everyone know. The pannier could be fitted to the Roc but I have not seen a picture of one so fitted so I am going to do this build without.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That would explain the faded Wanted! posters on the village notice board then.

There is a blue plaque on a house there but it's something to do with

thrashing threshing machines. (This being Lincolnshire and all)

I fear you may have been right first time and the posters were for the General and his thrashing machine!! :whip:

1 hour ago, iang said:

My pleasure. I don't know the answers to either of your questions I'm afraid, but there are photos of TT Rocs with the flag pannier. Here's one from 771 Squadron 1942:

img085_zpsnaegjy75.jpg 

And another diagram from AP1571, that shows the seating arrangements, among other details:

img087_zpsspltj8on.jpg

IG

I have seen the first picture but not in such detail. The diagram is an absolute life saver! It answers most of the remaining questions I have.

Martian

• Like 3

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Thank you Martian,

Yes, I knew, the détails shot are from a Defiant.

IRL is really demanding these days, hope that I can working on some plastic in the evening...

See you later.

Corsaircorp

Real life? Over rated if you ask me!

Martian

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iang said:

Martin,

I don't know if you have access to the Air Publication on the Roc (I couldn't face wading through the lunacy of the thread to find out), but thought you might find these two images useful if not.  As you can see the support platform for the TT gear should be a little lower than you have at the moment, relative to the rear decking and the aft fuselage structure, though the adjustment should be an easy fix. 

img083_zpstfgx7ocy.jpg

img084_zpsafsmsjnh.jpg

The AP also has a useful schematic of the floats and attachment points. If you think these would be helpful, let me know. 

HTH,

IG

9 hours ago, iang said:

Martin,

img083_zpstfgx7ocy.jpg

img084_zpsafsmsjnh.jpg

HTH,

IG

Thanks for posting. I have the picture but have clearly misinterpreted it. I shall try and remove the mounting but if it shows signs of breaking, I shall just have to live with it as it is. It will be interesting to see what you have on the floats to see if it adds to what I have already. The floats themselves are finished but I have yet to sort out the attachment points.

Martian

• Like 1

Some great research and information appearing in this thread on the TT version.

Learning a lot.

Great stuff :)

TonyT

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Martian the Paranoid Android

That's the one: hateful, isn't it? And there's me with a pain in all the diodes down my right side. I've asked for them to be replaced but nobody ever listens to me, I'm just a menial Martian.

Depressed of Mars

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Some great research and information appearing in this thread on the TT version.

Learning a lot.

Great stuff :)

TonyT

That was one of the things I hoped to come out of this thread, to move our knowledge of the type forward.

Martian

• Like 2