Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Following discussions on other threads and the extremely kind offer of a set of beaching gear from Crisp (aka Ex-FAAWFU), I have decided that the time is right to get this previously stalled project underway again. The ever splendid Mrs Martian helped me get the kit and the relevant file down from the loft yesterday and I have been re-acquainting myself with where I was at with the project and what needed to be done to turn the Special Hobby 1/48 kit into a floatplane target tug.

Before I halted work on the project due to the lack of a suitable beaching gear, I had pretty much sorted out the floats. These were taken from an old SMER Swordfish kit. As the main dimensions of the Swordfish and Blackburn Shark Floats, used by the Roc, were very close, most of the work had involved relocating the step. There was a slight difference in the shape of the chine but I have to decide a, if it is worth the work involved and b, if I decide that it is, how I am going to go about it. I have also to re-assemble some notes that went missing during all the domestic upheaval of last year.

I have been making a list of jobs that need to be done on this conversion and in no particular order they are:

1,  Plate over the kit wheel wells

2,  Add correct fuel tank between cockpits

3,  Construct target operator's position

4,  Lower rear fuselage decking

5,  Make strutting to support floats

6,  Replace fairing under rear fuselage with a much larger item

7,  Construct target towing apparatus

8, Possibly scratch build under fuselage drogue housing (unsure at the moment whether floatplane Rocs had these. Some land planes did and   some didn't

This is of course, in addition to such super detailing as we might chose to add along the way and we all know that my track record for avoiding this is less than stellar! Hopefully the model will be finished in the colours of 773 Squadron Fleet Air Arm when based in Bermuda before an airfield was available, if not I have a picture of a Roc in this configuration while under test and will go for that.

Please note that the build might be a bit slow at first as I do have to give my builds for Telford priority at the moment. I know it seems a long way off but the complexity of some of the models I intend to take this year does not leave much leeway in my timetable.

So join me then in what should be weird and wonderful ride (quiet Longshanks) and thanks for looking.

Martian

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 17

You

Must

Be

Off

Yo...

Oh hell you know that already but as you know I'm a sucker for rescued kits

I'm going to love this one

• Like 4

2 hours ago, perdu said:

You

Must

Be

Off

Yo...

Oh hell you know that already but as you know I'm a sucker for rescued kits

I'm going to love this one

I must be off my trolley for even thinking about doing this one but since when has that ever stopped me? :frantic:

1 hour ago, Tony C said:

:facepalm: I'm in, look forward to following this one :laugh:

Happy to have you on board. However I am living proof that there is no intelligent life in space or I wouldn't be taking this on!

1 hour ago, BlackAck said:

And now for something completely different.. :smile:

Would you expect anything less of this Martian?

Martian

• Like 2

This is a superb subject for a build. It's inspiringly bonkers :D!

Blackburn Roc

Floatplane

Target tug

:o

I'm still trying to process those words and understand what they mean..

You know chaps, this detailed knowledge of the Bermuda Triangle by a Martian :hmmm: ....?

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Obscure British seaplanes from the 1930s, a build that will be out of this world?  Par for the course really.  

What do you expect from one who comes from Mars? :P

57 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Got me Bermuda shorts on for this. :thumbsup2:

The Bermuda shorts are OK but the thought of you legs sticking out of them has put me right off of my tea. :sick:

26 minutes ago, matti64 said:

Tripple Threat, look forward to following this one!

Glad to have you along for the ride.

44 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Blackburn Roc

Floarplane

Target tug

:o

I'm still trying to process those words and understand what they mean..

You know chaps, this detailed knowledge of the Bermuda Triangle by a Martian :hmmm: ....?

Best regards

TonyT

I must be slipping, I hadn't thought that the Bermuda Triangle would be thrown at this alien and no, I have no idea what happened to those five Avengers all those years ago!

The "I didn't do it" Martian

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's an excellent description of this build.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

That's an excellent description of this build.

Before anyone else gets in, I will say it first. Not sure about the inspiring bit but the builder is bonkers too!

Martian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Please note that the build might be a bit slow at first as I do have to give my builds for Telford priority at the moment. I know it seems a long way off but the complexity of some of the models I intend to take this year does not leave much leeway in my timetable.

Martian,

which day do you intend to be at Telford this year? I only ask as I would love to see the models that we have all sweated over (well, some of us metaphorically) with you in attendance!

• Like 1

On a slightly more sensible note, I have been re-doing my research on the 773 Squadron Roc that were in Bermuda and have thus far found the following:

L3069               From September 1941 to April 1944

L3092               From August 1942 to January 1943

L3100               From March 1942 to March 1943

L3109               From May 1942 to 29th December 1943

L3140               From July 1943

Although the code R4 was allocated to the squadron and reference can be found to the unit's Swordfish and Walrus aircraft wearing it, no reference to the unit's Rocs carrying the code.

If anyone can add to the above list of Bermuda based Rocs, please feel free to add to it as information on this somewhat obscure piece of aviation history is thin on the ground to put it mildly.

A good picture of a target towing Roc on floats can be found on page 215 of the Hikoki book " The Seaplane Years" by Tim Mason.

Martian 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Martian,

which day do you intend to be at Telford this year? I only ask as I would love to see the models that we have all sweated over (well, some of us metaphorically) with you in attendance!

I shall be there on both days (look for a large, green faced, and  flamboyantly dressed chap on a mobility scooter) and such models I have brought with me will be in the competition as I do not belong to a club and have nowhere else to show them. I shall be more than happy to show you the models in person though.

Martian

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The Bermuda shorts are OK but the thought of you legs sticking out of them has put me right off of my tea. :sick:

Not having a saveloy were you?

image.jpg

:evil_laugh:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall be there on both days (look for a large, green faced, and  flamboyantly dressed chap on a mobility scooter) and such models I have brought with me will be in the competition as I do not belong to a club and have nowhere else to show them. I shall be more than happy to show you the models in person though.

Martian

Jolly good.

Look for an overweight, almost bald, slightly eccentrically dressed person boring people (hi Ced !) and you'll find me.

I have to say on the strength of the box art (a) I'm having difficulty picturing it with floats, so off to t'internet I go, and (b) it all looks and sounds like a good build to keep up with!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Jolly good.

Look for an overweight, almost bald, slightly eccentrically dressed person boring people (hi Ced !) and you'll find me.

That's going to narrow it down at Telford! Still, I did say to the General that if he turned up in full mess kit, I would take my Earthling disguise off and come as a Martian. I wonder if he realises I was serious? Anyway that should narrow things down a bit!

Martian

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I have to say on the strength of the box art (a) I'm having difficulty picturing it with floats, so off to t'internet I go, and (b) it all looks and sounds like a good build to keep up with!

I'm sure it'll be a Roc soild build

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

I wonder how many reading this thread will be kickking themselves and saying "I wish I'd thoought of that" !

• Like 1

That is one of the worst jokes I have ever heard!

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

I wonder how many reading this thread will be kickking themselves and saying "I wish I'd thoought of that" !

Almost nobody I should think!

I'm surprised it took this long for the joke to be made..

I'm not!

Martian

• Like 2

Or if not he's off his roccer

Nice idea for a project though and shows the Roc did have a use!

• Like 2

They say the line between madness and genius is very fine. This line is vey fine indeed and I wish you all the very best with it. I will be following this one avidly.

I have a few 1:72 Rocs in the stash and a couple of old previously loved Frog Sharks.  However, I don't think you need worry about a sub standard parallel build.  I'll just pull up a seat and watch from the sidelines. And no doubt cheer from time to time. Good luck. 

• Like 1