Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:

Let out clause !!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..............

Thank heaven I'm not a ' beholder '

Though even I would admit it probably is one of Blackburns better looking planes structures

Kev

Well, at least you don't need Specsavers!

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Happy belated (not bloated) Birthday Mrs M hope you had a lovely day.

The Roc is looking ace M, the engine is spot on and the interior just gets better. To make things even better still it seems the pics after the new update are in the correct ratio for my telephone. Yip.

great stuff oh Green and mighty one. :mike:

Jont

I shall pass on your good wishes to Mrs Martian. Thanks for the compliment, even I am quite happy with how the interior is coming along. The only real problem is the paucity of reference that keeps bringing things to a halt while I try and work out what some bits looked like.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Ditto from me @The Yorkshireman - when I started posting a couple of years ago I was really surprised at the support, encouragement and general help I received from members and, with their help, my modelling has improved a lot - thanks guys.

Try posting a WiP Jon and I don't think you'll be disappointed :) 

I wasn't. I dithered around for ages before taking the plunge and then wondered why I had taken so long to do so.

1 hour ago, 825 said:

Just get stuck in and post your builds. Initially I was worried as some of the work here is mind blowing, this being one of them, while mine could be classed as enthusiastic amateur in nature. However, I startedsticking them up  and I have nothing but positive feedback, encouragement and advice from everyone, including the best of the best.  I think it's made me a better modeller but it's actually fun, and when people say nice things it gives you a nice feeling. 

There you go again.  Even this lot can't all be wrong!

18 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Very nice work on the interior, Sir.

Neat and crisp.

Thanks OM.

Martian

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Last night and this morning, I began a major effort to start getting the interior sorted out.

I began by removing the seat raising lever. I had misread the instructions and put this on the wrong side of the cockpit where it would foul the trim wheels. I have been a little concerned that it looks a bit on the clunky side so its no big deal. The offending part removed, I proceeded to construct the trim wheel assembly and decided that the best way not to lose it was to glue it into the model. I took the same approach with the throttle box that I scratch built. This swallowed quite a lot of liquid cement so I am going to give it another 24 hours to cure before I start fitting the throttle levers. My final job on this side of the fuselage was to add a small instrument panel that sits on the port side of the fuselage, just above and forward of the throttle box.

Turning to the starboard side, I constructed and added the radio sets in the rear cockpit, these received fronts from my dwindling stock of Reheat etch. The next parts were the operating controls for the underwing hard points that the Roc was fitted for. I was half minded not to include these as we are building a target tug but then reasoned that 773 Squadron was a fleet requirements unit and could be called upon to carry out all sorts of taskings other that target towing, which may require stores of one kind or another to be dropped. Accordingly,  these items were scratch built and added just below the cockpit sill.

I think the next area I need to target is the winch operator's seat as this looks to be quite a complicated assembly. It clearly needs to be able to either fold up or swing out of the way and I am going to have to do a lot of thinking as to how it might have worked.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The view from outside of the interior is amazing ... Without a doubt, it is worth the effort with all that detailed. 

I look forward to see when you paint all this and everything come to life. 

:clap:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jamie_Graham said:

The view from outside of the interior is amazing ... Without a doubt, it is worth the effort with all that detailed. 

I look forward to see when you paint all this and everything come to life. 

:clap:

Thanks Jamie. A way to go before paint but I hope to have some more detail work for you all soon.

Martian

• Like 3

On 31/07/2017 at 3:21 PM, Martian Hale said:

Thinking about it, the Normandy Petrol that I drank was so strong that it probably could have been used as petrol. I am reluctant to put any in Sarah-Jane but feel free to try it in your motor and let us know how you get on.

Martian, 

The stuff my wife's relatives in Austria produce on the farm I would respectfully say was genuine rocket fuel, rather than "schnapps".

It would power your Roc to getting on for warp factor 9.

In fact, I did think once of bringing a few bottles of said rocket fuel back home, but bottled it when I thought of the conversation I would no doubt have had with a nice chap at the airport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Martian,

Did you know this info,

http://mmpbooks.biz/assets/books_pdf/103.pdf

Found it as I was looking for info.

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, I have the very book within arms reach of the bench. By the time I have built another Roc and two Skuas, I suspect that it will be very well thumbed indeed.

While looking at my references on the Roc I came across confirmation that the Skua and Roc were cartridge started, so no need forthat trolley acc.

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

In fact, I did think once of bringing a few bottles of said rocket fuel back home, but bottled it when I thought of the conversation I would no doubt have had with a nice chap at the airport.

We were very nice chaps and chapesses.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Martian,

Will work on my Roc this evening, thank you for the info regarding the trolley.

Think that I'm going to find the Airfix airfield box, figures seem good, and may be The Eduard (ICM) too.

Seemingly, I found another Roc since Pierre will not build it... will see

The other will be the only Roc to see combat but with wing folded !

Did'nt find any doc about stripes yet, but will keep you in touch...

Usually the kind of thing retrieved when it is no longer usefull :guitar:

See you later !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Whofan said:

Martian, 

The stuff my wife's relatives in Austria produce on the farm I would respectfully say was genuine rocket fuel, rather than "schnapps".

It would power your Roc to getting on for warp factor 9.

Hello Who

In Austria they also produce the Ströh Rum; taste a bit of rum with a cherry flavour within.

My great father used to bring it continuously to his home, have one shot as he waked up !

But the thing is strong, rocket fuel I agree around 70 or 80° but tasty

It's a thing to bring back in UK with your car, don't try the Airport...

Hooops, I did it again is there any custom officer here ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Who

In Austria they also produce the Ströh Rum; taste a bit of rum with a cherry flavour within.

My great father used to bring it continuously to his home, have one shot as he waked up !

But the thing is strong, rocket fuel I agree around 70 or 80° but tasty

It's a thing to bring back in UK with your car, don't try the Airport...

Hooops, I did it again is there any custom officer here ??

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I keep telling you CC that anything you do say will be taken down and be given in evidence!

I had forgotten about that Stroh rum, absolutely deadly stuff. I reckon someone got hold of a job lot of T Stoff at the end of WW2, put some colouring in it and has been flogging it of a booze ever since. Anyone remember the ant-freeze in Austrian wine scandal from a few years back? I reckon its the same boke.

Martian 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I keep telling you CC that anything you do say will be taken down and be given in evidence!

I had forgotten about that Stroh rum, absolutely deadly stuff. I reckon someone got hold of a job lot of T Stoff at the end of WW2, put some colouring in it and has been flogging it of a booze ever since. Anyone remember the ant-freeze in Austrian wine scandal from a few years back? I reckon its the same boke.

Martian 

Yup, but it was wine ! Ströh rum is an institution and existed long before the T stof !

Or would the T Stof will be Ströh rum ?? :evil_laugh:

What about the russian Lockheed vodka,  one have to be carefull when takin' a leak... Not to dissolve your own shoes !!

Lockheed Vodka is an armoured division speciality, don't wanna give it a try.

Since that Lockheed stand for the brake fluid .

Different countries, different tastes ! Na Zdarovie tavarich !

I still prefer a good Laphroaig !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I had forgotten about that Stroh rum, absolutely deadly stuff. I reckon someone got hold of a job lot of T Stoff at the end of WW2, put some colouring in it and has been flogging it of a booze ever since. Anyone remember the ant-freeze in Austrian wine scandal from a few years back? I reckon its the same bloke.

CC and Martian, the Stroh was partaken of during our last visit to relatives in 2015 - my God, it can take your breath away!

As was some equally deadly clear stuff in a small bottle that was proudly passed around by one cousin.

I have no recollection officer of how that small bottle now lies on the wine rack back here in Blighty!

're the anti freeze business, it was a terrible shame that a few people's greed seriously affected the credibility of what can be lovely wine.

We are very partial to Gruner Veltliner these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I still prefer a good Laphroaig

Mine is having a lie down in the kitchen wine rack.

Along with a bottle of Jamiesons.

I drink them alternately for comparison reasons of course.

Still a little early in the morning yet though.

Nice modeling, guys.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice modeling, guys.

Yup, you're right, a little bit early..

At this time of the day, a coffee is sufficient :P

Have a good modelling day too.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice modeling, guys.

Thanks Pete, its never too early in the morning. Remember what Jessica the Wise Woman said on my Starfighter thread: "It s always beer o'clock somewhere in the world!"

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Yup, you're right, a little bit early..

At this time of the day, a coffee is sufficient :P

What is the matter with you lightweights? :tease:

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Manflu, I couldn't get the cork out of the bottle this morning.

Tonight I could though. Hopefully I can empty this glass before bedtime.*

*For medicinal purposes only, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And as I hear it in Ireland !

Oh Lord, You did a big mistake !

I've got 2 hands but just one mouth !

Worst for you Dear Martian, 5 tentacles, 5 delicious beverage, including @Nigel Heath's bloody Mary and just one mouth

Your god seem to have a bigger sense of humor than ours :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

In a few week I'll have my favourite wake up drink, Lamb's Navy Rum :Tasty:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's not early morning now though, is it?

Cheers

Seeing as how I am viewing this at 02:18 am, it clearly is.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Manflu, I couldn't get the cork out of the bottle this morning.

Tonight I could though. Hopefully I can empty this glass before bedtime.*

*For medicinal purposes only, obviously.

If you drink enough firewater, you won't know you have Man 'Flu or anything else for that matter!

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Worst for you Dear Martian, 5 tentacles, 5 delicious beverage, including @Nigel Heath's bloody Mary and just one mouth

Your god seem to have a bigger sense of humor than ours :rofl2:

I believe there is only one god but he was certainly having a laugh when he put me together, a right Friday afternoon job. I shall be taking the matter up with him in due course!

A chap dies and goes up to Heaven. Upon arriving at the Pearly Gates, he sees an enormous queue. Upon asking St Peter what is going on, St Peter explains that the angels have gone on strike and, being very short handed as a result, only the most urgent cases can be let in straight away. St Peter then turns to the man at the head of the queue an asks him what he did during his lifetime. The man replies that h was an airline pilot. "Sorry" says St Peter "everyone gets issued with wings here so you will have to wait until we can get this strike sorted out" Turning to the next man in the queue he asks him what he did on Earth, "I was a carpenter" says the man. "Sorry" replies St Peter "JC has got the carpentry we need pretty much sown up around here so I'm afraid you will have to wait as well". Turning to the chap you had just arrived at the Pearly Gates St Peter says "Just out of interest, what did you do when you were alive?" "Actually, I was a psychiatrist" replies the man". "Excellent!" exclaims St Peter, "you can come right on in. we have trouble with God. He thinks he is @general melchett !"

Martian Hoping that God really does have a sense of humour!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

By myself, I totally resemble that remark young Martian me lad. I've had trouble with this deity fella before, usually a good session of 'What's My Line' often sorts things out.

As for man-flu, I find a few laps of Melchett Towers mid-winter in nothing but my regimental battle-boxers, furry service boots and sequined pith helmet usually sorts the blighter out, mind you the ensuing double pneumonia and coma can be a tad irksome. Being a teetotaller I have to resort to alternatives to the hop or grape, ethylene glycol is my poison of choice....deliriously good stuff and keeps the winter chills at bay. 

Btw, a nice bit of modelling a while back.....

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

By myself, I totally resemble that remark young Martian me lad. I've had trouble with this deity fella before, usually a good session of 'What's My Line' often sorts things out.

As for man-flu, I find a few laps of Melchett Towers mid-winter in nothing but my regimental battle-boxers, furry service boots and sequined pith helmet usually sorts the blighter out, mind you the ensuing double pneumonia and coma can be a tad irksome. Being a teetotaller I have to resort to alternatives to the hop or grape, ethylene glycol is my poison of choice....deliriously good stuff and keeps the winter chills at bay. 

Btw, a nice bit of modelling a while back.....

Thanks General, so that's the outfit you will be wearing at Telford? A friend is already working on my Martian party frock and she expects you to be suitably attired!

Martian

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A friend is already working on my Martian party frock and she expects you to be suitably attired!

And just who by Jupiters codpiece is this 'friend' of which you mention?, nothing about 'friends working on party frocks' was mentioned when drawing up the rules of engagement, I shall protest to the highest authority which just so happens to be me.  Between you and me I would not want the huddled masses to be subjected to such a sight...I shall have to modify the attire ...maybe a little bauble hanging from the pith may add a bit more decorum....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

And just who by Jupiters codpiece is this 'friend' of which you mention?, nothing about 'friends working on party frocks' was mentioned when drawing up the rules of engagement, I shall protest to the highest authority which just so happens to be me.  Between you and me I would not want the huddled masses to be subjected to such a sight...I shall have to modify the attire ...maybe a little bauble hanging from the pith may add a bit more decorum....

I think the masses would be rushing for the nearest emergency exit. As to my friend, she is a very talented professional illustrator who is working on a suitably lurid shade of green for my make up which will not run in the heat of the centre. Unlike the crowds who, if they are not fleeing from your regimental boxer shorts, will be running from me and my blurglecruncheon!

I wonder what other BM members would brave/daft enough to go as their BM personas? Yes Guys, especially @Mike, that is a dare! Actually, it would be a very effective an fun way spot each other.  Come on, everyone knows we are all totally bonkers on BM, what will you go as? Fret ye not, nobody is going to notice one more loony in a massive centre packed to the rafters with them. In fact, I shall probably be the only sane one there, so I will be the odd one out!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm bebeggared, if I'm going to dress as a Brummagem bus, for anybody, not even you me old Martian

Enough people round here know who I am too, thus saving me the task of trying to hide from them

Phew

The green alien bit, hmm suits you sir

Suits you...

(Luckily I have to wear club uniform, the yucky blue reminiscent of a poor local footy club's colours.  😠)

Purrups a disguise might be fun, but................

• Like 1