Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

On 20/07/2017 at 11:50 AM, CedB said:

Nice progress Martian :) 

I couldn't find any useful images but I would think that the undersides would have the stripes eh? Probably?

I did find this though:

black_b-20_1.jpg

Another, er, interesting Blackburn design, the B-20. They didn't make it easy for themselves, did they?

There is a kit of this aircraft available, to those of you with a predisposition to self harming :wicked:

I give you the following

http://www.unicraft.biz/on/b20/b20.htm :evil_laugh:

Perhaps the best thing that can be said for Unicraft products is that after an age and given a lot of luck you may end up with something remotely simular to the picture on the box :goodjob:

Any updates Martian, we haven't seen your floaty bits for ages :whistle:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

What,

Insane ramblings, worst jokes ever and blackadder !!

And sometimes models, That's the real life !! not only on Mars.

And parties on friend's house, that's all very serious stuff, is'nt it ??

Will take my Roc back this evening and some other too obviously !! as usual !

Still searching for the topic on the roc in my magazines, I also use this occasion for trying to compil all the title on an exel table !

moine-copiste

Look, I'm still buzy :wicked:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ps Very nice tiny grey ship dear tentacled one, Martian technology surely.

I prefer the Iowa Class, the last real warship :whistle:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Fnarr fnarr! :wicked: 

(Please place your 'Finbarr Saunders post' orders in plenty of time as Finbarr is often occupied and may not be able to fit one in - yip yip.

Adults may click here to see Finbarr's antics.

If you want a reaction to a double entendre he'll give you one - snurf snurf.)

Checked out the link Ced but no-one does double entendres like you, not even Finbar!

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Ah but Martian me deario (homage to Round The Horne outtakes) we do get the very finest 'Worst Jokes On The Planet' don't we, in here

😉

By the way, that wasn't Mrs M and your good self that pleased us with a fine display of RIB dancing across Torbay on Tuesday was it?

We took the bay ride to Thatcher Island, (she wasn't in, sadly) and were enjoying RIB riders and jetski-loons whizzing by

Lovely jubbly.

Not us Bill, we were doing our course in Poole Harbour and bay.

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

There is a kit of this aircraft available, to those of you with a predisposition to self harming :wicked:

I give you the following

http://www.unicraft.biz/on/b20/b20.htm :evil_laugh:

Perhaps the best thing that can be said for Unicraft products is that after an age and given a lot of luck you may end up with something remotely simular to the picture on the box :goodjob:

Any updates Martian, we haven't seen your floaty bits for ages :whistle:

cheers Pat

That's not a kit Pat, its an invitation to self destruct!

The delay in an update has been due to the ear problem that developed last Sunday night and having to concentrate on the powerboat course, which completely wiped me out. Today is the first day I have felt able to do a bit of modelling. To ease my way back in gently I should do something simple on the build, so what do I do? That's right, I start fiddling about trying to get all eighteen exhaust stubs fitted to the engine so that they line up with the locating holes on the collector ring. Even with extra tentacles this has to be the very definition of frustration!

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Pat I actually searched for that kit but didn't find any in the UK - phew, saved! :) 

Knowing it was from Unicraft, I am curious to know as to why you even bothered to look for it in the first place.

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

What,

Insane ramblings, worst jokes ever and blackadder !!

And sometimes models, That's the real life !! not only on Mars.

And parties on friend's house, that's all very serious stuff, is'nt it ??

Will take my Roc back this evening and some other too obviously !! as usual !

Still searching for the topic on the roc in my magazines, I also use this occasion for trying to compil all the title on an exel table !

moine-copiste

Look, I'm still buzy :wicked:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Ps Very nice tiny grey ship dear tentacled one, Martian technology surely.

I prefer the Iowa Class, the last real warship :whistle:

Having done my powerboat level 2 course, I am keen to follow it up with my aircraft carrier level 5 qualification.

webqe-ii-at-sea.jpg?itok=lVVr04qF&timestamp=1498766149

Martian

• Like 7

Dear Martian if you both get your carrier qualis who will get the front seat drive and who the back seat?

Luckily with the Lizzy class ships (nearly put boats and enraged the assorted raging ires of Crisp, Bob and various sundry nauticals, phew) there are two sets of islands

Perzoomably that means driving from both places

;)

I hope the ear 'thing' is clearing up, I'm painfully aware of the 'pleasures' of working away at a model when chronic nasties strike

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, perdu said:

Dear Martian if you both get your carrier qualis who will get the front seat drive and who the back seat?

Luckily with the Lizzy class ships (nearly put boats and enraged the assorted raging ires of Crisp, Bob and various sundry nauticals, phew) there are two sets of islands

Perzoomably that means driving from both places

;)

I hope the ear 'thing' is clearing up, I'm painfully aware of the 'pleasures' of working away at a model when chronic nasties strike

The QE class can be navigated from the rear island in the event of an emergency, although visibility ahead might be a bit of an issue!

The ear problem seems a little better today to the point that I did get a bit of bench time in. An update is due to appear here as soon as I can get the pictures edited and the waffle typed up.

Martian

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's another thing I forgot to mention to Jamie, our newcomer. My threads seem to attract some of the worst jokes on the planet!

Martian

Oh dear God you've done it now. 

You may as well abandon the model, it'll be all old groaners from now on!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

just bung a lad near the pointy end with a couple of flags and get the flag officer to translate

Left hand down a bit, Mr Phillips.

Try Amazon for the Dremel/Acme patent ear clear attachment.

• Like 2

As advertised in my last post and to keep Jockney happy, here is what I have been up to today.

First up, I took an enormously deep breath and began fitting the kit exhaust stubs to the cylinders. This was the very epitome of frustration, especially as I was initially trying to keep the collector ring separate for ease of painting. In the end I decided to settle for a more difficult painting session in exchange for and easier way of coping with the overall assembly. What I did was to get three exhaust stubs glued onto cylinders and the collector ring glued onto these. It was then a simpler matter to progress round the engine, cylinder by cylinder until I had one exhaust stub per cylinder attached to the collector ring. The process was then repeated for the second exhaust stub on each cylinder until we had all eighteen stubs in place.

Next, I ground out the inside of the engine cowing a bit to get a better fit of the collector ring which is not exactly stellar as supplied by Special Hobby. This process involved the removal of a locating lug for the collector ring. This is intended to help get the correct alignment for the engine within the cowling. Unfortunately, the kit's collector ring is not moulded with sufficient precision to allow the top cylinder of the engine to sit on the centreline. The removal of the lug allows the engine to be rotated until the correct alignment is achieved. Although the collector ring is now a better fit, there will still be some filling needed when the cowling is finally glued in place so a bit of fiddly masking will be needed. In my opinion this is more than outweighed by having a well fitting and correctly aligned engine.

While I still had some energy left, I decided to sort out the trumpet shaped intakes that fit either side of the top engine cylinder. These are very crudely moulded in the kit and I began by opening their mouths with increasing diameters of drill bits and finishing of with a scalpel, the mouths being more of a oval shape than circular. The intakes are not quite long enough to sit in the correct position and so the parts were lengthened with the addition of some Albion Alloys' brass tube. The engine was held in place on the fuselage, sans cowling, and the position of the intakes marked. The engine was then removed from the fuselage and locating holes for the intakes drilled into the front of the fuselage. These holes were drilled ever so slightly wider than the intakes themselves in order to allow a certain amount of "wiggle room" when it finally becomes time to permanently fix them to the model.

By now completely done in, I retired to write this post and to enjoy a drink or three with Mrs Martian for her birthday, prior to cooking her a special meal for the occasion.

Here are the pictures and tanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Oh dear God you've done it now. 

You may as well abandon the model, it'll be all old groaners from now on!

I was under the impression that it had been pretty much that way from the start of the thread.

Martian

• Like 2

Boom boom

You've made the exhausts look very good and we can see how usele  difficult it looks from 'ere

Have a good party, you should have told us earlier

We could have all called round and joined you

😋

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I was under the impression that it had been pretty much that way from the start of the thread.

Martian

No, some were new groaners :whistle:

Congrats to Mrs M and have a good meal.

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Boom boom

You've made the exhausts look very good and we can see how usele  difficult it looks from 'ere

Have a good party, you should have told us earlier

We could have all called round and joined you

😋

Thanks Basil Brush Bill. As much as I would be happy to have you all round, it might have gone against Mrs Martian's expressed wish to have a quiet birthday. Can't for the life of me think why!

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

No, some were new groaners :whistle:

Congrats to Mrs M and have a good meal.

True, some of the wanna be comedians hadn't revealed their "talent" before this thread began.

I shall pass on your good wishes to Mrs Martian.

Martian

• Like 2

Happy Birthday Mrs Martian! :gift:

Lovely work on the engine bits Martian, well done Sir!

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Knowing it was from Unicraft, I am curious to know as to why you even bothered to look for it in the first place.

I like weird subjects and I am a modelling masochist. Having built some Valoms a new challenge is required... perhaps next year! (Although if it's resin, never)

• Like 1

Thanks Ced. It seems you are under a bit of a misapprehension about Unicraft kits. They are not resin kits at all; rather a large collection of air bubbles, held together in a vaguely aircraft shape by small pieces of resin. A sort of "join the bubbles" puzzle if you like.

Cynical of Mars

• Like 3

As ever Martian Mrs Martian is quite likely to have it right about a quiet night

Having us around?

Saturday night?

Several bottles of decent plonk and the obligatory lagers..

Bound to get a tad messy later on

Happy birthday ma'am

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Ced. It seems you are under a bit of a misapprehension about Unicraft kits. They are not resin kits at all; rather a large collection of air bubbles, held together in a vaguely aircraft shape by small pieces of resin. A sort of "join the bubbles" puzzle if you like.

Cynical of Mars

Sorry to correct you Martian, it's actually Angel Delight with a teaspoon of hardener added. :chef:

Good luck Mrs M, If he takes as long cooking as he does building kits, it's likely to be a Christmas dinner you'll be having :P

cheers Pat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry to correct you Martian, it's actually Angel Delight with a teaspoon of hardener added. :chef:

Good luck Mrs M, If he takes as long cooking as he does building kits, it's likely to be a Christmas dinner you'll be having :P

cheers Pat

Sorry Pat, I stand duly corrected although Angel Delight can at least be eaten as well as used for ancillary purposes that I will not go into on a family  friendly forum.

Fortunately I cook much faster than I model a good job really as I do a lot of our cooking and we would have succumbed to starvation years ago! Don't think you are safe up there in Scotland from the long tentacle of the Martian Pat. This week Mrs Martian revealed that she has booked a week on Lismore later in the year with a day or two either side on the mainland to make up for the rotten holiday I had the other week. War of the Worlds comes to Connel, blurglecruncheons and all!

Mrs Martian says she is touched by all your good wishes. I give her the floor.

Martian

Thanks for all your kind wishes on my birthday. I must state now that I have no idea to what ancillary uses my many-tentacled other half has put Angel Delight in the past - fortunately it was not on the menu this evening. :jelly:

Mrs Martian

Edit: Little does she know! :evil_laugh:

• Like 8

Hi Martian,

Really good progress on the engine and exhausts! It's what they call...."one of those things"!!!From your words I could feel the pure joy you felt working on the exhausts!

Anyway you got there ad the look of it is really worth the pain it took!

"LOVELY JOBLY" 

Edited by massimo2
wrong name
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

with a day or two either side on the mainland

OK..which hostelry will the Britmodeller (Argyll Branch) {all 4 of us} meet you in so that we can buy Mrs M a belated birthday drink?

Must tell you sometime about a crime investigation I did on Lismore when I was shiny new in CID in 1978 or thereabouts.

Richard

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

webqe-ii-at-sea.jpg?itok=lVVr04qF&timestamp=1498766149

Am I the only one that thinks that this was designed in Minecraft?

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

By now completely done in, I retired to write this post and to enjoy a drink or three with Mrs Martian for her birthday, prior to cooking her a special meal for the occasion.

I hope you both had a nice evening Martian.

That work on the engine fitting is of your usual exceptional standard and most pleasing.

Please accept an honoraray OBG* as a token of my esteem.

Tony

*Order of the Baron's Garter

• Like 2