Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

Whilst researching 815's Barracudas,I got diverted to the Roc (and further sidetracked to Blackburn Baffin for some inexplicable reason).

A non-floats Roc in this very poor pic and an article on the same pilot in a Bermuda magazine :

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140315/ISLAND/140319837&template=mobileart

https://issuu.com/thisweekinbermuda/docs/taboctober2014final

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Whofan said:

This is as short a version I can make - after all, the Roc is more important ....

At the Last Birmingham IPMs show today, ambling around as I do, I went into the Competition area to see what was there, when I spied a blue/white sycamore model. Blimey, thought I, that looks just like the one Nigel heath did on BM recently. Then I spied a jasmine p/e horten 229, and a clutch of Luft 46 planes - now I was confused, because these looked like the ones Nigel had done over the last few motnths ..... and then an osprey, and several helicopters.

By now, I was thinking have I been quantum transported to Aberdeen? So I looked again, and lo and behold, one Nigel Heath was writing out competition entry cards.

Fortunately, when I introduced myself to him, the way he hid the look of panic in his eyes very, very well (but I could feel him thinking "oh God no, not him and his ramblings again ...." - we met (i did think briefly, but perhaps not .... at Telford) and we had a chat about  the sycamore, and the somewhat odd coincidence that S & M models were at the show, with a fair stock of sycamore kits for sale, and about a few other things. Then I left him to get on with his entry cards.

Sadly, I left before the competition results were announced, and never got to see how Nigel got on.

Oh, and he hadn't travelled down from Aberdeen, but had come up to Halesowen for the show from where he is currently working and residing.

It really was one of those surreal moments - "why are Nigel Heath's models down here?" sort of surreal. But interesting .....

I am surprised he wasn't entering one of his recipes in the competition! Strangely enough despite looking for him at Telford each year, I have never actually got to meet him. It is entirely possible of course that he has been hiding form me, many people do!

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Raaaahhhh !

You let down a 15£ Roc !! at 1/48 ??

:blink::blink::blink:

Hope that I'll have such a luck in Telford, I have another Roc to do !

Sincerely.

You really let this beautifull lady on the table.

Won't get fooled again !!

Corsaircorp

I love the Who allusion.

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello dear and fully respected tentacled one.

Okay and thank you for sharing, you did a great interior, I'll try to half as best.

Very nice work, :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks CC, there is a way to yet but hopefully it will help you with your build.

12 hours ago, massimo said:

Great improvements to the cockpit and the engine cowling!

Outstanding!!!:yes:

Thanks Massimo.

12 hours ago, Whofan said:

1/72, and Telford looms near. Perhaps the Roc might fall my way again, but yes, it was a Bargain!

Even in 1/72 I wouldn't have turned that one down.

40 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Whilst researching 815's Barracudas,I got diverted to the Roc (and further sidetracked to Blackburn Baffin for some inexplicable reason).

A non-floats Roc in this very poor pic and an article on the same pilot in a Bermuda magazine :

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140315/ISLAND/140319837&template=mobileart

https://issuu.com/thisweekinbermuda/docs/taboctober2014final

Thanks Scimitar, I ha seen the picture but the article is interesting.

Martian

• Like 1

Hi Martian,

Assuming that the (resin) engine and (plastic) cowling are the same as the Skua, you should be ok if my recent experience of building that kit (twice!) is anything to go by. Gluing all the exhaust stubs on is tedious, but at least they are there - unlike the SH Albacore kit which makes no attempt to reproduce the exhaust pipes connecting the cylinders to the collector ring at all...

Enjoy - and we will carry on enjoying your build, which goes from strength to strength!

Nick.

PS In my (limited) Skua research I never came across a picture of a Roc with TT stripes....

• Like 3

Thanks Nick, that is reassuring to know. Based on my experience with the rest of the kit, I would be very surprised if Special Hobby have re-tooled the engine and cowling.

Strange the results of your research on the Roc, nearly all the pictures I have show the opposite to be the case. The plot thickens!

Martian

• Like 1

Hello Dear ETI,

Looking in the attic on my old magazine, did'nt find any Roc

But look,

Who remind this, the arrival of the first SHAR in the FAA on the 18 of June 1979

WP_20170724_21_53_39_Pro

And who know this,

A jet powered B-26...

WP_20170724_23_31_58_ProWP_20170724_23_32_17_Pro

Hope to be more succesfull in a very near future.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

Thanks CC. It is a while since I saw a picture of a pre 700A squadron Sea Harrier. The jet powered B-26 looks interesting....No! someone save me from myself!

No update today. I woke in the middle of the night stone deaf in my right ear which was full of blood. The doctor says she doesn't think it is any thing serious but it has left me feeling pretty queasy, balance problem I guess. More soon I hope.

Subdued of Mars 

• Like 5

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 23:35, Whofan said:

1/72, and Telford looms near. Perhaps the Roc might fall my way again, but yes, it was a Bargain!

I just checked out images the SH 1/72 Roc. It looks to be a far better product than the 1/48 effort and should give you very little trouble. Go get one, build it and then regale us with how wrong my assessment of the kit was!

Martian

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I just checked out images the SH 1/72 Roc. It looks to be a far better product than the 1/48 effort and should give you very little trouble. Go get one, build it and then regale us with how wrong my assessment of the kit was!

I built the 1:72 Special Hobby Skua, and it went together well. It's essentially the same as the Roc, so I expect the Roc kit would be OK as well. The whole trick is positioning the interior/cockpit parts, of which Special Hobby give you no indication of any kind where they should go. Think of these parts as the keystone - once you figure it out, it assembles quite well. There are some typical SH gaffes, like forgetting all about the prominent air outlets on top of each side of the cowl, but that's par for the course.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I built the 1:72 Special Hobby Skua, and it went together well. It's essentially the same as the Roc, so I expect the Roc kit would be OK as well. The whole trick is positioning the interior/cockpit parts, of which Special Hobby give you no indication of any kind where they should go. Think of these parts as the keystone - once you figure it out, it assembles quite well. There are some typical SH gaffes, like forgetting all about the prominent air outlets on top of each side of the cowl, but that's par for the course.

Cheers,

Bill

There you go guys, straight from the oracle!

Martian

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

my right ear which was full of blood.

Does Mrs Martian sleep all day and avoid sunlight?

Seriously though,hope that was a one off and nothing to worry about.

Can't have you skiving at this stage in the build ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Guys, not much improvement thus far. Its a bit like being squiffy without the good bits. Not happy.

Martian

Hello Martian,

Please take care, hope that it will grow better soon !

The B-26 has been used by the pseudo french from SNECMA as a test bed for the ATAR jet engine.

Snecma was at this time mostly runned by Germans kept from the Secret weapons of the 3rd reich.

Can send you the whole thing.

Here's the plan.

WP_20170724_23_32_29_Pro

Have a very nice night, arepairing one !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6

Thanks CC but I think it would seal my reputation as a complete nutter for once and for all!

Martian von Wibble

Late of the Swartze Sonne Space Programme, Haunebus custom built to order

• Like 4

I did manage to get the cylinder attached to the engine crank case this evening and can report that, with a small amount of fettling, they do fit the cowling. Very happy to be proved wrong on that one! The exhaust stubs however, look like they are going to be interesting to get lined up. Never mind, if I am not disturbed, I am sure I will think of a cunning plan to get round the problem.

If the sick feeling subsides, I will get some pictures up tomorrow night. Things have now reached the point where I am officially off my ale. Not good!

Worried of Mars

• Like 3

I'm out of 'likes' Martian. That's not so important, I can't 'like' blood in your ear, being woken up, balance gone and off your ale :( .

It sounds like a bit of rest and maybe some multi-vitamins might help?

Get well soon.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Hope your balance returns soon........

but whist your off balance

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The B-26 has been used by the pseudo French

You know you want tooooooo

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think it would seal my reputation as a complete nutter for once and for all!

Way, way to late to start thinking of your reputation

If anything your reputation would demand it

:rofl:

Kev

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Interesting piece on the excellent Naval Air History blog about the FAA's contribution to Dunkirk.  It manages to address some of the myths, but without descending into an "I think you'll find" session of über-geekery.

Plus it talks about the one and only Roc kill (which I think we all know about by now) AND some operational tasking for a Roc target tug (though not one on floats; you can't have everything!)

https://navalairhistory.com/2017/07/24/the-fleet-air-arm-over-dunkirk/

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Guys, not much improvement thus far. Its a bit like being squiffy without the good bits. Not happy.

Martian

have few drinks so you can enjoy the good bits!  Simples

Tim (the ever helpful) 

• Like 2

On 23/07/2017 at 8:02 PM, Martian Hale said:

I think that's all for the moment. Thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice catch up multi pronged one. This work in particular most pleasantly wibbled my frusset pouch :lol:. Still squished pics on my little iPhone but I clicked and loaded them each in awe and wonder. Hope the old lug hole eases up soon.

Johnny the wet and windy. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm out of 'likes' Martian. That's not so important, I can't 'like' blood in your ear, being woken up, balance gone and off your ale :( .

It sounds like a bit of rest and maybe some multi-vitamins might help?

Get well soon.

Best regards

TonyT

No chance of a rest. I have my RYA Powerboat course today and tomorrow so I just have to grin and bear it.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I hope your ear is better soon Martian - not pleasant, balance problems. :( 

I can confirm that going out on a boat in choppy waters when one already has a balance problem is pants!

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

Hope your balance returns soon........

but whist your off balance

You know you want tooooooo

Way, way to late to start thinking of your reputation

If anything your reputation would demand it

:rofl:

Kev

Thanks Kev, I new someone would pounce on that post as soon as I had sent it. Once again I did not need to be Mystic Martian to work out who would be first!

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great link Crisp, there is some great information there.

6 hours ago, Fishbed said:

have few drinks so you can enjoy the good bits!  Simples

Tim (the ever helpful) 

Tried that Tim. The room just started spinning the other way instead. Bugger! Plus I'm off my booze, this is getting serious!

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Maybe take a break, Martian (?), look after yourself.

Regards,

Dennis

Can't at the moment, powerboat course to finish tomorrow and then I have to finish getting things ready for Mrs Martian's birthday on Saturday.

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

This work in particular most pleasantly wibbled my frusset pouch :lol:.

Mrs Martian says can we have a translation please?

Martian

• Like 6