Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

And it did get out of the Poole .... In Bermuda !

That's why he remain silent, gonna have a trip to see if he can find a Roc !:idea:

See you tomorrow dear gentlemen, I fell asleep on my chair :sleepy:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Tentacled one.

There was no accusation at all, and you're doing a Roc, not an Avenger !

So interstellar Journey is not a problem, for you...

Why not a Journey in the past intented to bring back all the photos we need so oftenly.

Or asking the ETI responsible for the disappearance of the Aircraft in the Bermuda triangle

If they did'nt have a Roc floatplane target tug in their own private air museum from Earth ???

Just a suggestion indeed.

Have a nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

CC

Your cunning plan to journey back in time to photograph references has much to recommend it. Sadly, even on Mars Tardis are at a premium.

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

I searched with Roc and Bermuda and find this....

Is there some Roc on Mars too ???:smirk:

Amazing my Dear Watson !!

Sincerely.

CC

Wrong sort of rocks CC.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

See, that hasn't got stripes either.

Thanks for your help Pete!

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

but it's wings are folded are they not?

So that's no help then is it?

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

And it did get out of the Poole .... In Bermuda !

That's why he remain silent, gonna have a trip to see if he can find a Roc !:idea:

See you tomorrow dear gentlemen, I fell asleep on my chair :sleepy:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

That's just about the first time the word silent has ever been mentioned in the same sentence as myself!

I have spent much of today sanding and polishing the wings and tail planes and sharpening up some of the more woolly panel lines on the kit. Its been driving me mad with tedium so I think I will sort out the pilot's seat and some of the cockpit bits that I am sure about next to give myself a bit of a breather.

Martian

• Like 4

Thanks Massimo. I have had a session on the interior this morning. There are a few bits that are curing but hopefully I can get them leaned up and fitted to the model later today and get an update posted.

Martian

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Massimo. I have had a session on the interior this morning. There are a few bits that are curing but hopefully I can get them leaned up and fitted to the model later today and get an update posted.

Martian

I can't wait for it!This project's got all the ingredients for a masterpiece!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Your cunning plan to journey back in time to photograph references has much to recommend it. Sadly, even on Mars Tardis are at a premium.

Just wha is the plural of a Tardis?  Tardiss, Tardi, Tardises?  Is there a plural of Time And Relative Dimension In Space? 🚀 If so, these guys :dalek: wouldn't be too happy!

• Like 3

Hello Martian,

What do you think about the Roc's seat, I trimmed both sides, cut and sand and get this.

Seem to look good to me, but you told that the seat is not afixed to the bulkhead ?

WP_20170722_22_05_47_Pro

Hope that you don't mind for the photo, thank you beforehand.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

6 hours ago, massimo said:

I can't wait for it!This project's got all the ingredients for a masterpiece!!!

Thanks Massimo, your wait is almost over. Directly I have replied to the latest posts, I shall be posting the promised update.

12 minutes ago, HomerJ_757 said:

Just wha is the plural of a Tardis?  Tardiss, Tardi, Tardises?  Is there a plural of Time And Relative Dimension In Space? 🚀 If so, these guys :dalek: wouldn't be too happy!

Not scared of that lot. I used to play in a band called the Pink Daleks (yes I really did!) and managed to survive. They are a bunch of girls blouses really.

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Martian,

What do you think about the Roc's seat, I trimmed both sides, cut and sand and get this.

Seem to look good to me, but you told that the seat is not afixed to the bulkhead ?

WP_20170722_22_05_47_Pro

Hope that you don't mind for the photo, thank you beforehand.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

The seat is all over the place CC. As it happens though, sorting the seat out forms part of the imminent update.

Martian

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

So that's no help then is it?

Yes it was. 

Part of my cunning plan for a super thread drift and we will see a Buccaneer S1 with folded wings

Been looking around in my library   pile of books and magazines. Not a lot published on the Roc is there?

• Like 1

As promised and to keep Massimo and CC in suspense no longer, here is what I have been up to today, well, the least sordid of my activities  anyway.

I began by sorting the seat out. I had already reduced the depth of the seat pan and now proceeded to reduce the height of the seat back. As supplied in the kit the height of the seat would foul the head rest and leave no room for the set to be able to be raised and lowered. As the seat was not attached to the bulkhead, it can only have been attached to the cockpit floor. I decided that as there is no chance of any raising and lowering mechanism being visible, even if we had the details, to mount the seat on a couple of bits of 60 x 60 'thou plastic strip. This gave a convincing height for the seat and allowed some space for the seat to be raised and lowered. I shortened the lever for the raising mechanism, drilled a hole in the cockpit floor and glued it in place. The lever in the kit comes up to what would be the pilot's shoulder level!

A map case was then fitted to the starboard of the cockpit. Although a bit fiddly to make due to it's small size, it was reasonably straightforward to make.

A test fit of the control column showed it to be too long to the point that it was higher than the cockpit sill. It was therefore cleaned up, reduced in height and, as I kept dropping it and having to rescue it from the carpet monster, glued in place on the grounds that even I would struggle to lose an entire fuselage half!

A small but very important detail was added next. I the pictures you can see that each side of the rear cockpit has gained a couple of 10 'thou strips of plastic.These will form the basis of the mountings for the target drogues. I shall be making these from rolled up lead wine bottle foil. I'm not sure if I have enough of this at the moment but am sure that Mrs Martian will assist on that front if necessary!

I have been assembling the engine cowling on and off over the last few days. This needed quite a bit of cleaning up and re-scribing. Te result oof this was that the catches moulded on the kit parts were lost and replacements needed to be made from 10' thou plastic strip. I will give them a rub down after they have had a chance to cure properly overnight. As to the engine why can I feel it in my water that, when assembled, it will be too big for the cowling? Anticipate a galactic scale rant coming to a thread near you soon!

I think that's all for the moment. Thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Yes it was. 

Part of my cunning plan for a super thread drift and we will see a Buccaneer S1 with folded wings

Been looking around in my library   pile of books and magazines. Not a lot published on the Roc is there?

Thanks for looking for me. The Roc is a pig of a subject research, the target tugs even more so.

Martian

17 hours ago, andymoore said:

that is tidy - the 2nd & 3rd pics look like CAD renditions.

Thanks Andy. I work on the basis that if I can keep even the smallest parts of a build neat and treat them as a model in their own right, this should be reflected in the finished item. Although this sounds obvious, it does rely on one being in the right frame of mind at the bench, which no doubt is a large factor in the time it takes me to finish a model.

Philosophical of Mars 

• Like 6

In one of those bizarre coincidences, while browsing the trade stands at the Birmingham IPMS show today I found a Roc kit.

Immediately, I thought of Martian, and as my hand reached for the box - a reasonable £12 or £15 - I suddenly thought - No! In a Harry Enfield kind of way. 

I suddenly had flashes of scorn heaped upon a "me too" , purchase, but mainly, because their was no blurglecruncheon in the box.

So I went on my way, and then later decided what the hell, I won't mention it .......

Damned if I could remember which trader it was.

So no Roc for John.

I did however have another quite interesting moment, in the competition area ...... 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Whofan said:

In one of those bizarre coincidences, while browsing the trade stands at the Birmingham IPMS show today I found a Roc kit.

Immediately, I thought of Martian, and as my hand reached for the box - a reasonable £12 or £15 - I suddenly thought - No! In a Harry Enfield kind of way. 

I suddenly had flashes of scorn heaped upon a "me too" , purchase, but mainly, because their was no blurglecruncheon in the box.

So I went on my way, and then later decided what the hell, I won't mention it .......

Damned if I could remember which trader it was.

So no Roc for John.

I did however have another quite interesting moment, in the competition area ...... 

You should have gone for it at that price. No-one here would pour scorn on you, at least not for buying and building a Roc. It just shows you have taste.

Do tell us about your interesting moment in the competition area!

Curious of Mars

• Like 2

Just now, Martian Hale said:

You should have gone for it at that price. No-one here would pour scorn on you, at least not for buying and building a Roc. It just shows you have taste.

Do tell us about your interesting moment in the competition area!

Curious of Mars

You might want to ask  Mr Heath for the short version ...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Whofan said:

You might want to ask  Mr Heath for the short version ...

Come on, out with it!

Martian

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Come on, out with it!

Martian

This is as short a version I can make - after all, the Roc is more important ....

At the Last Birmingham IPMs show today, ambling around as I do, I went into the Competition area to see what was there, when I spied a blue/white sycamore model. Blimey, thought I, that looks just like the one Nigel heath did on BM recently. Then I spied a jasmine p/e horten 229, and a clutch of Luft 46 planes - now I was confused, because these looked like the ones Nigel had done over the last few motnths ..... and then an osprey, and several helicopters.

By now, I was thinking have I been quantum transported to Aberdeen? So I looked again, and lo and behold, one Nigel Heath was writing out competition entry cards.

Fortunately, when I introduced myself to him, the way he hid the look of panic in his eyes very, very well (but I could feel him thinking "oh God no, not him and his ramblings again ...." - we met (i did think briefly, but perhaps not .... at Telford) and we had a chat about  the sycamore, and the somewhat odd coincidence that S & M models were at the show, with a fair stock of sycamore kits for sale, and about a few other things. Then I left him to get on with his entry cards.

Sadly, I left before the competition results were announced, and never got to see how Nigel got on.

Oh, and he hadn't travelled down from Aberdeen, but had come up to Halesowen for the show from where he is currently working and residing.

It really was one of those surreal moments - "why are Nigel Heath's models down here?" sort of surreal. But interesting .....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

This is as short a version I can make - after all, the Roc is more important ....

At the Last Birmingham IPMs show today, ambling around as I do, I went into the Competition area to see what was there, when I spied a blue/white sycamore model. Blimey, thought I, that looks just like the one Nigel heath did on BM recently. Then I spied a jasmine p/e horten 229, and a clutch of Luft 46 planes - now I was confused, because these looked like the ones Nigel had done over the last few motnths ..... and then an osprey, and several helicopters.

By now, I was thinking have I been quantum transported to Aberdeen? So I looked again, and lo and behold, one Nigel Heath was writing out competition entry cards.

Fortunately, when I introduced myself to him, the way he hid the look of panic in his eyes very, very well (but I could feel him thinking "oh God no, not him and his ramblings again ...." - we met (i did think briefly, but perhaps not .... at Telford) and we had a chat about  the sycamore, and the somewhat odd coincidence that S & M models were at the show, with a fair stock of sycamore kits for sale, and about a few other things. Then I left him to get on with his entry cards.

Sadly, I left before the competition results were announced, and never got to see how Nigel got on.

Oh, and he hadn't travelled down from Aberdeen, but had come up to Halesowen for the show from where he is currently working and residing.

It really was one of those surreal moments - "why are Nigel Heath's models down here?" sort of surreal. But interesting .....

Raaaahhhh !

You let down a 15£ Roc !! at 1/48 ??

:blink::blink::blink:

Hope that I'll have such a luck in Telford, I have another Roc to do !

Sincerely.

You really let this beautifull lady on the table.

Won't get fooled again !!

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Hello dear and fully respected tentacled one.

Okay and thank you for sharing, you did a great interior, I'll try to half as best.

Very nice work, :partytime:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Raaaahhhh !

You let down a 15£ Roc !! at 1/48 ??

:blink::blink::blink:

Hope that I'll have such a luck in Telford, I have another Roc to do !

Sincerely.

You really let this beautifull lady on the table.

Won't get fooled again !!

Corsaircorp

1/72, and Telford looms near. Perhaps the Roc might fall my way again, but yes, it was a Bargain!

• Like 2