Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

I've been away one day and look what's happened !...you're talking about aeroplanes again, disgraceful ! Having spent the day with the likes of Perdu, Radleigh and a few other BM plastic-wrangler types at Coventry I thought you should know that you were mentioned in dispatches on more than one occasion...however I think we best leave it at that !

img085_zpsnaegjy75.jpg

Overshot the carrier a tad.....notice how everyone is studiously ignoring the aircrew member on the right, (shades of 'Septic' and the Tiger)....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

I thought you should know that you were mentioned in dispatches on more than one occasion...however I think we best leave it at that !

Oh dear, that won't have been anything good then! :sad:

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looks to me like the chap on the right is still being beamed in.

What do you expect to find on a thread being run by Martian?

Martian

• Like 2

I fear we are about to upset the General again by discussing some more modelling. I was able to separate the turret ring from the model and relocate it as far down as it will go. Perfect Plastic Putty was used to fill any small gaps. There was a beam that was attached to the pilot's bulkhead and this has been constructed and glued to the model. The fuel tank is being constructed and mountings have been attached to the floor of the rear cockpit. I had a slight concern that it is on the small side and may replace it with a larger item. I shall sleep on this one however; the problem that is, not the fuel tank! I have also been slowly adding more of the main structure to the fuselage and this is slowly coming together to my satisfaction.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

Nice job Martian,

I will perhaps change my mind because there is a lot to do with the original interior parts.

Good correction with the turret "winch" ring. 

Hope that your right side diodes did'nt hurt too much.

I fixed the tailwheel of my Mk VIII for the third time:angry:

Have a very nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice job Martian,

I will perhaps change my mind because there is a lot to do with the original interior parts.

Good correction with the turret "winch" ring. 

Hope that your right side diodes did'nt hurt too much.

I fixed the tailwheel of my Mk VIII for the third time:angry:

Have a very nice modelling day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

Don't give up on the idea. Firstly it's getting worked out here and secondly, you don't need to do as much on the fighter version if you don't want to as the turret will hide much of the area between it and the pilot's cockpit.

Go for it! All we have to fear is fear itself!

Martian

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't give up on the idea. Firstly it's getting worked out here and secondly, you don't need to do as much on the fighter version if you don't want to as the turret will hide much of the area between it and the pilot's cockpit.

Go for it! All we have to fear is fear itself!

Martian

And We Shall never surrender !!

A brit quote to answer an U.S one :clap2:

I go my dear ETI, I go, just remember the pace of an asthmatic (I really am, must stop smoking...) snail with a bad tentacle :P

See you later, I enjoyed the Fonderie Hampden !!

Have a nice day.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Just caught up with this one, Martian. Very nice work with the white plastic card - I love that stuff! You can make so many cool things from it, like Roc floatplane cockpits and who knows what else.

When I built the Special Hobby 1:72 Skua, I believe I modified the kit cockpit parts (floor, bulkheads) so that they did not make the fuselage wider than the canopy. Maybe something was off in their master file and the error was propagated across both 1:72 and 1:48 Roc and Skua kits. Anyway, my rule of thumb is that canopy parts are only modified as a last resort - always modify the other parts first to ensure a good fit with the canopy, especially with respect to its width. Your work with the white plastic card stock is excellent, and it looks like you'll be sure of a proper canopy fit at the end. Tubular, dude!    :) 

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Don't forget the range extender (aka relief tube). It's cleverly disguised as a fire extinguisher. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Don't forget the range extender (aka relief tube). It's cleverly disguised as a fire extinguisher. 

:clap2:, Will bottom trhis too,

In some case it actually IS a fire extinguisher:rofl:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Just caught up with this one, Martian. Very nice work with the white plastic card - I love that stuff! You can make so many cool things from it, like Roc floatplane cockpits and who knows what else.

When I built the Special Hobby 1:72 Skua, I believe I modified the kit cockpit parts (floor, bulkheads) so that they did not make the fuselage wider than the canopy. Maybe something was off in their master file and the error was propagated across both 1:72 and 1:48 Roc and Skua kits. Anyway, my rule of thumb is that canopy parts are only modified as a last resort - always modify the other parts first to ensure a good fit with the canopy, especially with respect to its width. Your work with the white plastic card stock is excellent, and it looks like you'll be sure of a proper canopy fit at the end. Tubular, dude!    :) 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, it looks like the moulds were either scaled up or down. These days one of the first things I do on a project is to check the fit of any transparencies and modify the kit if necessary. Like you, I will go to almost any lengths to avoid having to start changing the width of canopies. In this case the work undertaken has ensured a good fit of the centre section transparency.

I may make my Alley Cat 1/48 Jindivik soon, if only because it has no canopy! Hang on a minute! Aliens building unmanned aircraft? There's a recipe for a sensible thread, free of lunacy if ever I saw one!

Martian 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Bill, it looks like the moulds were either scaled up or down. These days one of the first things I do on a project is to check the fit of any transparencies and modify the kit if necessary. Like you, I will go to almost any lengths to avoid having to start changing the width of canopies. In this case the work undertaken has ensured a good fit of the centre section transparency.

I may make my Alley Cat 1/48 Jindivik soon, if only because it has no canopy! Hang on a minute! Aliens building unmanned aircraft? There's a recipe for a sensible thread, free of lunacy if ever I saw one!

Martian 

Free from lunacy ... ??? Why ? it is so fun:o

Even Pink Floyd laugh about lunacy....:rolleyes:

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

Our lunacy has done a part of this thread a Blackburn gallery, discovering some interwar niceties....

• Like 1

Like a the white stuff Martian, very enticing

As you're probably aware I'm more of a 'change the canopy to suit the space available' kinda guy but in the present situation I'm fully in agreement with your sublime treatment

The business, it looks the bizz

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Free from lunacy ... ??? Why ? it is so fun:o

Even Pink Floyd laugh about lunacy....:rolleyes:

Sincerely

Corsaircorp

Our lunacy has done a part of this thread a Blackburn gallery, discovering some interwar niceties....

I think if the lunacy was taken out of BM, it just wouldn't be the same place. it stops us taking ourselves too seriously.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Like a the white stuff Martian, very enticing

As you're probably aware I'm more of a 'change the canopy to suit the space available' kinda guy but in the present situation I'm fully in agreement with your sublime treatment

The business, it looks the bizz

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thanks Bill. I must confess that I am somewhat surprised the amount of interest that this thread about a very obscure variant of an already little known aeroplane has generated.

Martian

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think if the lunacy was taken out of BM, it just wouldn't be the same place. it stops us taking ourselves too seriously.

Thanks Bill. I must confess that I am somewhat surprised the amount of interest that this thread about a very obscure variant of an already little known aeroplane has generated.

Martian

Why are you surprised?  After all, an earlier thread about a mythical (sorry, "unproven") Nazi flying saucer containing the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies was so popular that you eventually changed your name as a result.  An acquatic target tug with marginal handling qualities is positively mainstream by your standards.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Why are you surprised?  After all, an earlier thread about a mythical (sorry, "unproven") Nazi flying saucer containing the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies was so popular that you eventually changed your name as a result.  An acquatic target tug with marginal handling qualities is positively mainstream by your standards.

Fair point Crisp. I'm never going to get away from that Haunebu build am I? I would point out however that the Martian thing was out beloved leader's idea. Despite looking, I missed him at Telford last year. I strongly suspect he was hiding from me :door:Hopefully I will be able to meet up with him and get my tentacles on him this year!

Martian

• Like 2

At long last most of the main fuselage structure is in place and we can move on to getting some fine detailing done. I have begun adding the stringers to the fuselage interior. These have been made from .20 'thou x .10 'thou plastic strip. This might takes few days to complete as I have begun to tire quite quickly when I have been at the bench recently. It could be illness but the optician reckons that it is because my modelling glasses are over ten years old and my eyesight has changed. Hopefully the new glasses that are on order will go some way to rectifying the situation. Anyhow, here are some pictures of the work done thus far.

Thanks for looking Martianimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

I love those 10 x 20s Martian, its hard to remember having to slice ordinary plasticard gently so as not to induce horrid curves in it, in the olden days

Rotten times huh?

I do hope you will take it easy for a bit, we have nattering to do at Telford so you'd best use mucho alien health care to ensure we can

I do mean C A R E too, take care chum

In more mundane, modelling chat the detailing in there is becoming 'remarkable' I love it even more, more!

• Like 2

Really nice scratch detailing for the internals there Martian :worthy: !

Take things steadily with regard to the fatigue; I hear that even Martians need to recharge their vitamin and energy batteries from time to time.

You might need to eat more Venusian Spinach Soup :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Pay no attention to the Tiger Martian, I hear there are thee ship loads of distrated Venusian soups going around

The WHO advises not taking it for a few months until the present stocks have gone to powder

Rest, bed and copious beer are the 'best practice' treatment I advise. 😨

• Like 3

On 25/06/2017 at 9:21 PM, Martian Hale said:

image.jpg

So, instead of the two longitudinal tanks of the Skua, the Roc has a transversely-mounted tank like an oil drum.  Why the change, I wonder? 

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

So, instead of the two longitudinal tanks of the Skua, the Roc has a transversely-mounted tank like an oil drum.  Why the change, I wonder? 

I've always assumed that the Skua-style tank got in the way of some part of the turret gubbins, but Martian knows way more about the Roc than I do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Really nice scratch detailing for the internals there Martian :worthy: !

Take things steadily with regard to the fatigue; I hear that even Martians need to recharge their vitamin and energy batteries from time to time.

You might need to eat more Venusian Spinach Soup :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

Spinach? Are you trying to poison me?

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Pay no attention to the Tiger Martian, I hear there are thee ship loads of distrated Venusian soups going around

The WHO advises not taking it for a few months until the present stocks have gone to powder

Rest, bed and copious beer are the 'best practice' treatment I advise. 😨

Beer sounds a much more sensible and palatable option!

31 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I've always assumed that the Skua-style tank got in the way of some part of the turret gubbins, but Martian knows way more about the Roc than I do.

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

I shall answer you queries in one if I may. The Skua had two large fuel tanks aligned longitudinally and plenty of room for the observer/gunner aft of them. In the Roc, the addition of the turret necessitated the relocation of the radio gear and the provision of an alternative space for the observer/TAG to work when not manning the turret. This was achieved by replacing the twin tanks of the Skua by a single, smaller tank aligned transversely on the Roc. The downside of this of course, was to reduce the Roc's range as compared to the Skua. Hopefully this answers you questions?

Martian

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I shall answer you queries in one if I may. The Skua had two large fuel tanks aligned longitudinally and plenty of room for the observer/gunner aft of them. In the Roc, the addition of the turret necessitated the relocation of the radio gear and the provision of an alternative space for the observer/TAG to work when not manning the turret. This was achieved by replacing the twin tanks of the Skua by a single, smaller tank aligned transversely on the Roc. The downside of this of course, was to reduce the Roc's range as compared to the Skua. Hopefully this answers you questions?

Martian

Beautifully, thanks.  Poor W/Op/TAG: when not cooped up in the turret, he spends his time in a small confined hole next to a fuel tank.

• Like 4