Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

A bit like this you mean?

14bag.JPG

Wow!  What a find.  That's one of the incredibly rare photos of an early pre-mission briefing by a crew of 422 Fleet Spotter Flight, the first unit to operate the Blackburn Blackburn.  The pilot is on the right and the navigator on the left (gunner not present 'cos he just does as he's told...allegedly).

The photo also illustrates why the Roc was a 2-seater - the nav couldn't fit his hips into the fuselage.

I know....:coat:

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mhaselden said:

Wow!  What a find.  That's one of the incredibly rare photos of an early pre-mission briefing by a crew of 422 Fleet Spotter Flight, the first unit to operate the Blackburn Blackburn.  The pilot is on the right and the navigator on the left (gunner not present 'cos he just does as he's told...allegedly).

The photo also illustrates why the Roc was a 2-seater - the nav couldn't fit his hips into the fuselage.

I know....:coat:

No coat necessary, way better than most of the jokes so far,

Martian

• Like 2

I was rather proud of the way I spun the conversation back to the Roc. :)

I very much doubt if it will stay that way!

Martian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I very much doubt if it will stay that way!

Martian

What do you expect?  It's one of YOUR build threads!!!  I haven't seen one yet that stayed on topic. :)

(Oh...and that's a good thing, by the way.)

• Like 2

Fair enough, at least I, or those that follow my threads, can never be accused of taking things too seriously!

Martian

• Like 2

Modelling is supposed to be fun, right? :hmmm:

No point in doing it otherwise.

Martian

• Like 1

On 14/06/2017 at 4:09 PM, Old Man said:

Speaking as a Yank, Sir, Royal Navy air doctrine has never seemed to make much sense. 

You're expecting Inter-War doctrine to make sense?  Ambitious!

The Navy was still deep in thrall to gunnery, and it wasn't helped by the fact that the cream of its aviators - exactly the people who would have been relatively senior officers by the 30s - had disappeared into the RAF with the demise of the RNAS.  Though there were honourable exceptions - Boyd, for one - this effectively meant that there was no-one at the top of the Navy who knew much about aircraft, so they could all happily carry on with the prevailing orthodoxy. 

Mind you, the Admiralty was far from having a monopoly on bonkers doctrine.  "The bomber will always get through", anyone?   Or, indeed, the appalling (just a personal view) Harris with his obsession (despite all evidence to the contrary) that heavy bombing would win the war on its own by breaking the will of the people (what, you mean like it did during the Blitz, Sir Arthur?).  So single-minded (a generous term) was he that he refused to allocate the early Liberators to Coastal Command, where they would have made a big difference in the U boat war.

• Like 9

Yes, I know, I'm being a spoilsport my interrupting all this banter by reintroducing modelling to the thread but I have battled heat and humidity to bring you some plastic action!

I have got the main fuselage longerons in place and worked on getting a better fit of the retractable rear decking, this was rather a time consuming business as I need a close fir without forcing the fuselage apart. The instrument panel has also been added. I was able to use two of the three kit parts but the third was short shot and had to be replaced. No big deal though. The cockpit sills curve over a bit on the real aircraft and this has been addressed by adding plastic strip along the openings. A quick check revealed that the windscreen was a poor fit on my kit and some time was spent attending to that issue.

The next big issue to sort out is the area under where the turret would have been fitted. On the fighter there are two access doors for the gunner but these seem to have been replaced by a small door for the target drogues on the tug. This door looks way too small for a human to get through so I guess access to the rear cockpit was via the opening left following the removal of the turret? Any views of the underside of a TT Roc would be appreciated as I only have one of a Roc stood on it's nose following a landing accident and naturally the bit we are interested in is in shadow!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

PS I really am going to have to give some more attention to my Telford builds over the next few days.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Good to see you can walk the talk, modelling at last........................................:rolleyes:

Neat work

Kev

Thank you kindly good sir. I am not sure why the pictures look distorted though. They look correctly proportioned on Postimage? I'll try a few more and see what happens.

Confused of Mars

Lets try these;

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well those seem to have come out OK so no idea what was going on there!

Martian, not really understanding photo hosting sites.

Edit: They were fine when I wrote the post and now these have distorted! Ideas anyone?

• Like 4

On my iPad they make it look like an egg plane....

Great project though - I'm following with interest and admiring the skill.

Having recently finished a couple of the 1:48 Skua kits, I know what you're up against!

Nick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

No distortion when I view them Martin.

That's really odd as they still don't look right here.

30 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

On my iPad they make it look like an egg plane....

Great project though - I'm following with interest and admiring the skill.

Having recently finished a couple of the 1:48 Skua kits, I know what you're up against!

Nick.

Even odder! can anyone explain this? I don't think I have done anything different to usual and everything looks fine on my Postimage account.

Thanks for the compliment though. It is the sheer novelty of the thing that has prevented it taking an early flight to the bin. Things are not helped by Special Hobby assuming that the area between the pilot's cockpit and the turret is the same as the Skua whereas it is totally different and as it will be highly visible on the finished model, there is no way out other than to do the job properly. The other problem is the retractable fairing is not provided as a separate part on the kit. Cutting this away severely weakens the fuselage, thus slowing work down still further. Had I not already built the Pavla kit as a floatplane and know what a cool looking model it makes, I don't think I would have persevered with the target tug conversion thus far.

Hot here again today so another night time session on my projects awaits.

Martian  Hiding from the light

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

No distortion on my lap top all the pics look great!

Roger

Thanks Roger, I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. Alright, even less idea than usual, before Longshanks chips in!

Martian the Mystified

Hail Green O one.

I have just spent a good 30 mins reading this thread, wonderful choice of build. I agree with the elders of your planet concerning interesting craft that make one "Double take" especially this one with the floats. Beautiful.

the internal work you are doing with plasticard is grand, it must be due to the intricate Modelling capabilities of Martian tentacles.

I'll join the party if you don't mind, I'd love to see how she ends up.

On 12/06/2017 at 2:33 PM, Martian Hale said:

The guitars are 1. Fender Lead 2 (very rare) 2. Fender Mustang Special (basically Jaguar electronics in a Mustang body) 3. Telecaster Thinline (semi-acoustic) 4. Jaguar short scale bass 5. Jazz bass 5 string (Mrs Martian's). I also have a Fender Strataccoustic but there is not room in the rack for that one.

Martian

I assume you play them all at the same time, like some weird Jimmy Page, Rick wakeman hybrid with tentacles. :)

On 13/06/2017 at 10:25 AM, Martian Hale said:

Is a good job that the modelling is a little bit better than some of the jokes on this thread. Come to think of it, it would be hard for it not to be seeing as some of them are on a par with Vogon poetry!

Martian

"Ode to a small lump of green putty I found in my armpit one mid s................"

Matbe not eh.

Take care Superior one and I'll look forward to more shenanigans.

Johnny train ride.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Hail Green O one.

I have just spent a good 30 mins reading this thread, wonderful choice of build. I agree with the elders of your planet concerning interesting craft that make one "Double take" especially this one with the floats. Beautiful.

the internal work you are doing with plasticard is grand, it must be due to the intricate Modelling capabilities of Martian tentacles.

I'll join the party if you don't mind, I'd love to see how she ends up.

I assume you play them all at the same time, like some weird Jimmy Page, Rick wakeman hybrid with tentacles. :)

"Ode to a small lump of green putty I found in my armpit one mid s................"

Matbe not eh.

Take care Superior one and I'll look forward to more shenanigans.

Johnny train ride.

Glad to have you on board. Fortunately I only play one guitar at a time, the rest of the band say that's quite enough for some reason?

21 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

By the way. The pics look stretched on my IPhone too.

Looks like they are squashing up to fit the screen width? 

Oddness? 

Jont

Could be that though its not usually an issue. I will bear it in mind for my next lot of pictures. Its not too much of an issue at this early stage as it is still clear what is going on but it will clearly become a problem once the fine detail starts going in.

Martian

• Like 1

Pictures look squashed on iPad, making Blackburn's slightly tubby fighter look very chubby indeed. However, a double tap on the picture brings up the original and they, as one would expect, look rather excellent. Good work, and don't let the modelling get too much in the way of the other important material on this thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Even odder! can anyone explain this?

Your magnetic personality interfering with the space time continuum.

Either that or the thingymajig waves from your spaceship affecting most folks eyesight.

I see them fine provided I've got the aluminium hat on.

I'm enjoying the build,especially as I know very little about this version of the Roc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 825 said:

Pictures look squashed on iPad, making Blackburn's slightly tubby fighter look very chubby indeed. However, a double tap on the picture brings up the original and they, as one would expect, look rather excellent. Good work, and don't let the modelling get too much in the way of the other important material on this thread.

Thanks although I am even more baffled now about the pictures. Don't worry with all you chaps on board there is very little likelihood of any sustained outbreaks of sensibleness.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

They look compressed on display, bt click on them and they come up as a separate display in correct proportion.

I really like what you're doing on the interior of this.

Thanks Ian, early days yet though the main part of the frenzy of white plastic card is yet to come

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Your magnetic personality interfering with the space time continuum.

Either that or the thingymajig waves from your spaceship affecting most folks eyesight.

I see them fine provided I've got the aluminium hat on.

I'm enjoying the build,especially as I know very little about this version of the Roc.

Well I thought that but the pictures still don't look right even with the spaceship switched off!

I am glad you are enjoying the build, especially as I know very little about this version of the Roc as well. In fact I can't think of anyone who does,

Martian

• Like 1