Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

It appears that you've found my attempt to produce a 1/72 Roc TT floatplane. http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Member Models/Elliott/Elliott_Page/RocTT.html.

Base kit was a Frog Skua, with resin wings and tailplanes. Floats, naturally, came from the Frog Shark. Strutting was modified Shark bits. Canopy, a vac, source long forgotten.

Internal detail was improvised, as I could find no references.

Colours and markings based on a photo in Sturtivant's Squadrons's of the F.A.A., 1st edition, of L3100, as a landplane, 773 NAS, Bermuda, 1943. This was the subject of much debate on the defunct FAASIG web forum (so many years ago). As with so many obscure 2nd line types, impossible to be 100% certain of colours.

You are not alone in attempting this one Martian, just the first in 1/48 that I'm aware of.

KE

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, spaddad said:

That's better, thanks!

28 minutes ago, styreno said:

It appears that you've found my attempt to produce a 1/72 Roc TT floatplane. http://www.ipmscanada.com/ipms/Member Models/Elliott/Elliott_Page/RocTT.html.

Base kit was a Frog Skua, with resin wings and tailplanes. Floats, naturally, came from the Frog Shark. Strutting was modified Shark bits. Canopy, a vac, source long forgotten.

Internal detail was improvised, as I could find no references.

Colours and markings based on a photo in Sturtivant's Squadrons's of the F.A.A., 1st edition, of L3100, as a landplane, 773 NAS, Bermuda, 1943. This was the subject of much debate on the defunct FAASIG web forum (so many years ago). As with so many obscure 2nd line types, impossible to be 100% certain of colours.

You are not alone in attempting this one Martian, just the first in 1/48 that I'm aware of.

KE

This is beginning to come together now. I only have the second edition of the book, are you able to scan the picture as it might well help tie some other fragments of information together?

I converted the Pavla Roc into the seaplane version when that kit first came out. If I can find it I will post a couple of pictures of it here. It would be well worth getting it out again as I can serve as a guide to what I am trying to do here.

Martian

A quick search of UK Serials website yeilds this:

L3057 to L3192 were assigned to Blackburn Roc's.  

There is no quick way to tell whether a particular airframe from this group had floats or not.  Telephone Kew?

• Like 1

Martian: photo from Sturtivant as requested. Enhanced contrast as the printed image is very low-res..

Roc%20L3100.jpg

and profile from the M. Willis publication Blackburn Skua & Roc (which was not yet out when I made the model. I may have selected a different scheme than I did. Floats colour?????)

Roc%20L3100%20profile.jpg

BlackAck - From Sturtivant, the following list are Rocs fitted with floats. Not necessarily all-inclusive.

L3057; 3058; 3059; 3060; 3069; 3084; 3091; 3100; 3109; 3148

I may have more background in an old HD. I did the research and made the model ages ago (when the Frog Skua was the only option). Opening a mouldy can of worms

• Like 4

Rather nice work on the bulkhead and cockpit bits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackAck said:

A quick search of UK Serials website yeilds this:

L3057 to L3192 were assigned to Blackburn Roc's.  

There is no quick way to tell whether a particular airframe from this group had floats or not.  Telephone Kew?

Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945 by Ray Sturtivant has a lot of the details you require. In fact for those seriously interested in the wartime Fleet Air Arm it is an invaluable book.

4 hours ago, styreno said:

Martian: photo from Sturtivant as requested. Enhanced contrast as the printed image is very low-res..

Roc%20L3100.jpg

and profile from the M. Willis publication Blackburn Skua & Roc (which was not yet out when I made the model. I may have selected a different scheme than I did. Floats colour?????)

Roc%20L3100%20profile.jpg

BlackAck - From Sturtivant, the following list are Rocs fitted with floats. Not necessarily all-inclusive.

L3057; 3058; 3059; 3060; 3069; 3084; 3091; 3100; 3109; 3148

I may have more background in an old HD. I did the research and made the model ages ago (when the Frog Skua was the only option). Opening a mouldy can of worms

Thanks for that very useful information. I have a feeling that, regardless as to how the model turns out, the bits of information that this thread may unearth along the way may well further knowledge of Roc floatplane operations. If it does then it will have been worth the effort just for that.

1 hour ago, 825 said:

Rather nice work on the bulkhead and cockpit bits.

Thanks very much. Early stages yet but I am feeling a bit more encouraged now that I have started adding bits to the model. I have stayed my hand from cutting the fairing around the tail wheel off for now as I want to keep the strength in the rear fuselage until I have finished adding all the floors and bulkheads in order to prevent any distortion in the fuselage.

Martian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the internals Martian. I'm starting to be strangely attracted to this aircraft... 

See, I told people the Roc was a good looking aircraft! Thanks for the compliment.

Martian (right as always)

• Like 2

The Martian has a point.  I've always thought the Roc and the Skua were both handsome aircraft with wheels or floats.  No Spitfire or Hurricane by any means, but still..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

The Martian has a point.  I've always thought the Roc and the Skua were both handsome aircraft with wheels or floats.  No Spitfire or Hurricane by any means, but still..

I think they make very good model subjects, if only for the fact that they are a bit different. My Father, although not a modeller, has attended the odd show that I have been involved with. He reckons from a layman's point of view, that the models he likes best are those that make him do a double take. No disrespect to those who like the more mainstream types of course.

Martian

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

See, I told people the Roc was a good looking aircraft! Thanks for the compliment.

Martian (right as always)

Ced didn't say in what sense he was attracted to the Roc. There's every possibility of Stockholm syndrome you know....

Rocholm syndrome! :lol:

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think they make very good model subjects, if only for the fact that they are a bit different. My Father, although not a modeller, has attended the odd show that I have been involved with. He reckons from a layman's point of view, that the models he likes best are those that make him do a double take. No disrespect to those who like the more mainstream types of course.

Agree with that 127%.

I doff my cap to your esteemed pater Martian. :worthy:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Ced didn't say in what sense he was attracted to the Roc. There's every possibility of Stockholm syndrome you know....

Rocholm syndrome! :lol:

Agree with that 127%.

I doff my cap to your esteemed pater Martian. :worthy:

One would imagine that it is because they are attractive aircraft. I am due to see the optician this month and if I get the OK then we must conclude that I am correct in my opinion of the Roc.

I shall pass on your kind comments to Mr Martian Senior.

Martian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ced didn't say in what sense he was attracted to the Roc

Strangely attracted Tony, strangely attracted... to me it's what the French call 'jolie laide' - literally 'pretty ugly'. 

The way the cowling beautifully curves to the... um, blunt nose of a screen and then slides past where the turret should be to the... who scratched that empennage?

It's the sort of 'plane even I could make a decent model of! :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Thanks Chris, I have seen that picture before but not in such clarity. It does reveal some extra small details that I will need to be adding to the floats.

Keep it coming guys, we are getting there!

Martian

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Hi Chris

if you scroll down there are Share and Reuse options

the BB code gives the IWM links, and shows the full scope of another Martian build...

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
AIRCRAFT OF THE FLEET AIR ARM, 1939-1945.. © IWM (CH 563)IWM Non Commercial Licence

cheers

T

• Like 2

Hmm, a 1/48 Shark, now there's a thought :hmmm:No! Get thee away from me temptress! This thing is already giving me hassle enough. I did manage to get another bulkhead in place but this is going to be a real struggle until they are all sorted.

Martian

On 05/06/2017 at 22:54, Gondor44 said:

I spend hours updating them things one year for an AOC's (Air Officer Commanding)'s inspection and finding out that half of what I was after was superseded by a few later amendments.

Gondor

Had the same thing when they took Andovers to Deutschland, brand new APs with every single flipping amendment, all 120-odd!  Fortunately, they seemed to re-issue the same pages over and over again, first one took a day to do, second took a couple of hours!  Oh, the joys........ 😴

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

If you should do a Shark, I have some nice scale drawings. Just sayin'.

Chris

You are evil child Dogsbody! If I still had access to woodworking facilities, I would doubtless be carving moulds by now, either for this or maybe for a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn. Now there's a good looking aircraft!

Martian of the 20/20 vision

PS: Update tomorrow morning

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

If I still had access to woodworking facilities, I would doubtless be carving moulds by now, either for this or maybe for a 1/48 Blackburn Blackburn.

I'll send you a hurley over. Just stick a propellor on the big end for instant Blackburn Blackburn:handcrafted-irish-hurley_1024x1024.jpg?v

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'll send you a hurley over. Just stick a propellor on the big end for instant Blackburn Blackburn:handcrafted-irish-hurley_1024x1024.jpg?v

I think that even the Blackburn was marginally more aerodynamic that that torture implement.

Martian

• Like 1

This really is an interesting thread for what is being uncovered in terms of aircraft history. I knew of the target tugs but not of those on floats. Amazing what a hobby can turn up!

I also have a soft spot for the Skua/Roc - not least because they were so ugly. And I do not suffer from Stockholm syndrome either.

P

• Like 2

Just for the ignorant amongst us; what exactly is Stockholm Syndrome? If I suffer from it then I would like to know what it is.

Martian the Ignorant