Blackburn Roc Floatplane Target Tug

I'm beginning to think you lot are dafter than me and I never thought that possible. :fraidnot: Not to worry though, I have plenty of even more bonkers builds up my sleeve!

Martian

2 hours ago, 825 said:

They say the line between madness and genius is very fine. This line is vey fine indeed and I wish you all the very best with it. I will be following this one avidly.

I have a few 1:72 Rocs in the stash and a couple of old previously loved Frog Sharks.  However, I don't think you need worry about a sub standard parallel build.  I'll just pull up a seat and watch from the sidelines. And no doubt cheer from time to time. Good luck. 

Build a Roc if you want to, the last thing I would want is for one of my threads to stop somebody making a model. That's not the point at all, I want to encourage people. Anyway I am sure your Roc would be just fine and I for one would enjoy seeing you build it. It sometimes helps to be able to compare similar builds.

Martian

Another rescue mission, mind if I prop myself up in the corner?

I learn a lot from your and others builds looking forward to seeing this come to completion

Roger

• Like 1

I am definitely in, as well as patting myself on the back for a minor role; if I'd known that lack of beaching gear was the only thing holding up this inspired lunacy, I'd have dug out my Tamiya Swordfish floatplane months ago. 

I have a vague plan (which is so far down the list that it's extremely unlikely to see the light of day) to build an Albacore floatplane - a design which was projected but never built.  But this is WAY better!

The Roc was a drag-ridden design in the first place, so God only knows how it flew with boots on (though I suppose at least the turret had gone from this version) 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Happy to have you on board. However I am living proof that there is no intelligent life in space or I wouldn't be taking this on!

:laugh: welcome to our planet then, guess you'll fit in just fine :yes:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another rescue mission, mind if I prop myself up in the corner?

I learn a lot from your and others builds looking forward to seeing this come to completion

Roger

Thanks Roger, you are most welcome. Choose any corner you like excepting the one I will be needing after all the ale I have had following my realisation of the work involved in this conversion.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am definitely in, as well as patting myself on the back for a minor role; if I'd known that lack of beaching gear was the only thing holding up this inspired lunacy, I'd have dug out my Tamiya Swordfish floatplane months ago. 

I have a vague plan (which is so far down the list that it's extremely unlikely to see the light of day) to build an Albacore floatplane - a design which was projected but never built.  But this is WAY better!

The Roc was a drag-ridden design in the first place, so God only knows how it flew with boots on (though I suppose at least the turret had gone from this version) 

You deserve that hefty pat on the back Saint Crisp. I think you should be canonized as the patron saint of Blackburn Rocs. The beaching gear arrived safely today. Massive thanks to you for the very generous donation. This means the build can now proceed albeit at my customary pace of slightly slower than an asthmatic snail with a bad limp.

3 hours ago, Tony C said:

:laugh: welcome to our planet then, guess you'll fit in just fine :yes:

That's probably why I have not yet been re-patriated to Mars.

Martian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Build a Roc if you want to, the last thing I would want is for one of my threads to stop somebody making a model. That's not the point at all, I want to encourage people. Anyway I am sure your Roc would be just fine and I for one would enjoy seeing you build it. It sometimes helps to be able to compare similar builds.

Martian

I'm 2/3rds the way through building a1:72 Roc, it's sitting a little stalled waiting for me to complete my current GBs before I go off on holiday. My comment was really meant to be a little light hearted on my being seriously impressed by you having a go at this conversion. And my relative lack of bravery to have a go at such a challenging build. Mind you a few posts in once you've started who knows. Although you have galvanised me to seriously think about getting of the Sharks started. Those gatepost struts will be a challenge but there is something about these old Frog kits that is alluring. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackAck said:

Let construction commence at a geologic (get it?) pace!   

Much better than your last joke and probably not too far off the mark either as I can see, to start with at least, tectonic plates moving along faster. Partly because of Telford looming on the horizon like a giant looming thing and partly because there is quite a lot of surgery required on this build and I need to proceed carefully with what to cut and when. The rear fuselage is going to get a right kicking for starters with the underside fin needing replacing and the retractable rear decking needing to be either replaced or reshaped.

6 hours ago, pheonix said:

Looking forward to following this: anything which is hardly known by the majority always gets my vote. Sometimes I even attempt one myself!

P

One thing I can pretty much promise you is that nearly all of my builds these days are a bit left of field.

4 hours ago, 825 said:

I'm 2/3rds the way through building a1:72 Roc, it's sitting a little stalled waiting for me to complete my current GBs before I go off on holiday. My comment was really meant to be a little light hearted on my being seriously impressed by you having a go at this conversion. And my relative lack of bravery to have a go at such a challenging build. Mind you a few posts in once you've started who knows. Although you have galvanised me to seriously think about getting of the Sharks started. Those gatepost struts will be a challenge but there is something about these old Frog kits that is alluring. 

Have a go. All we have to fear is fear itself.

Martian

• Like 1

Right, given the interest shown in this project thus far, I felt that it was time to do some actual work on it. In my usual fashion, I began by tackling one of the areas of the build that I was least looking forward to: the retractable decking aft of where the gun turret once was. There was no getting away from it, every picture of a target towing Roc that I studied had the decking in the lowered position. I therefore very carefully cut the decking away from the fuselage halves and glued the parts together. There now has to be a wait for the glue to cure before moving on with the build. I think I will start getting the floors and bulkheads done next so that I can get a feel of what goes where detail wise.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 10

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:16, Martian Hale said:

So join me then in what should be weird and wonderful ride (quiet Longshanks)

:rolleyes: 

:shutup:

:crap:

I've not got a clue what your up to but it sounds like the normal mayhem................

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Aha!

!!!!

Its the old waiting for the glue to dry gambit

Nice opener Martian

What has got into you tonight bill? You are putting my usual mischief making to shame. Note to self: must try harder.

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've a couple of decent maintenance drawings of that rear tailplane / dinghy stowage area if they're any use Martian?

Tony

That could be really helpful Tony.

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

:rolleyes: 

:shutup:

:crap:

I've not got a clue what your up to but it sounds like the normal mayhem................

Kev

Didn't you know? Mayhem is my middle name!

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Watching with interest Martian :) 

Thanks Ced. I'm sure we can expect some Fnar, fnars from you along the way.

4 hours ago, phildagreek said:

This looks good!

Thanks, hopefully it will entertain.

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Simon & Garfunkel said to say hi.

Altogether now, "I am a Roc...."

Groan!

4 hours ago, JohnT said:

I am an Islander...

Britten Norman of course

.....and it gets worse!

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It's only Roc & Roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do

If only I had known that this thread was going to flush out some of the worst jokes in Christendom.

Martian the Bewildered

• Like 9

I was assuming this was a mild diversion in the gentleman's scale, which would be a pardonable indiscretion. But I've just realised it's 1/48 as well! Now I know yer off yer roc-ker!

But somehow I find myself watching with interest (from behind the sofa, mind...).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

What has got into you tonight bill?

He was obviously listening to Rocabilly!

(And still they keep coming)

(But society is to blame)

• Like 3