question about a photo

TimMather

i dont want to get political, so if against rules just delete thread (plz dont ban me)
anyway this photo is doing the rounds on social media and to me it just looks fake, the writing seems like its photoshopped.
can anyone clarify if these are RAF aircraft or what missile or bomb it is(sorry im total noob with aircraft, scifi is my thing).
18582398_666876730167218_659253208530484

any help telling weather this is fake or not would be great.

• Like 1

The bomb you see in the picture is a MK82 Laser Guided version similar to this one:

141004-F-JZ566-980.JPG

The Mk.82 laser guided is also known as GBU-12.

My thoughts on the pylon. When you look closer to the picture you'll see it appears to be on a outer pylon, something is uncommon for RAF Tornado's. So it's probably a RAF Typhoon showing station 12 (port side).

I can't comment if it's photo shopped or not.

Cheers, Evert

• Like 1

If it's on a Typhoon FGR4 then it is a Paveway IV - Similar to GBU12, 500 lb warhead laser/GPS-INS guidance.   The only other thing it could be would be a Reaper with GBU-12 but the pylon looks wrong for that.

George

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flyingdutchman said:

The bomb you see in the picture is a MK82 Laser Guided version similar to this one:

141004-F-JZ566-980.JPG

The Mk.82 laser guided is also known as GBU-12.

My thoughts on the pylon. When you look closer to the picture you'll see it appears to be on a outer pylon, something is uncommon for RAF Tornado's. So it's probably a RAF Typhoon showing station 12 (port side).

I can't comment if it's photo shopped or not.

Cheers, Evert

No its not. The RAF don't use GBU 12.  its a PW IV

• Like 2

(I think) Its got  Mk82 stencilled  on the Fwd moving aerofoil in the photo. Can't see it that clearly, slightly obscured.

4 hours ago, bzn20 said:

(I think) Its got  Mk82 stencilled  on the Fwd moving aerofoil in the photo. Can't see it that clearly, slightly obscured.

Yes it has, PW IV uses the same canard fins as a MK82/GBU 12 but it isn't a GBU 12!

Another one you might see is that The British 1000lb Paveway II(UK) Canard fins are stencilled Mk 84 as they use the same fins as that bomb.

Selwyn

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TimMather said:

i dont want to get political, so if against rules just delete thread (plz dont ban me)
anyway this photo is doing the rounds on social media and to me it just looks fake, the writing seems like its photoshopped.
can anyone clarify if these are RAF aircraft or what missile or bomb it is(sorry im total noob with aircraft, scifi is my thing).
18582398_666876730167218_659253208530484

any help telling weather this is fake or not would be great.

I saw this photo in the Daily Mail a few days back.  It is legit, and it seems to me in the article they said it was on a Typhoon.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I saw this photo in the Daily Mail a few days back.  It is legit, and it seems to me in the article they said it was on a Typhoon.

Are you saying that it's legit because it was in the Mail?

5 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Later,

Dave

It looks more like the pylon from a Typhoon rather than a Predator/Reaper.

The RAF confirmed the photo was legit and that it was a PW4 on a Typhoon. They also said that the person responsible won't be disciplined because it's simply continuing the rich history of armourers writing messages on bombs.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Bobski said:

The RAF confirmed the photo was legit and that it was a PW4 on a Typhoon. They also said that the person responsible won't be disciplined because it's simply continuing the rich history of armourers writing messages on bombs.

Good show from the RAF there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Are you saying that it's legit because it was in the Mail?

The article also showed previous examples of writing on bombs from WW II to the present.  Since they had somebody there to take the picture, or got it from the MoD, that in itself should make it legit.  If there was a flying saucer in the background, THEN I might have wondered about it a bit!

Later,

Dave

31 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

The article also showed previous examples of writing on bombs from WW II to the present.  Since they had somebody there to take the picture, or got it from the MoD, that in itself should make it legit.  If there was a flying saucer in the background, THEN I might have wondered about it a bit!

Later,

Dave

Fair enough. I only asked because the Mail has been know to tell a few porkies in it's time, so being published in that paper (or pretty much any tabloid to be honest) doesn't in itself, make it credible.

23 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Fair enough. I only asked because the Mail has been know to tell a few porkies in it's time, so being published in that paper (or pretty much any tabloid to be honest) doesn't in itself, make it credible.

I've seen some howlers that they have put out.  I've also seen a lot of quality material such as color photos taken in and around Metz during WW I that were quite interesting.  It pays to be a discerning consumer of news.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 6:29 AM, Bobski said:

I was going to say, Why would the armorer be punished? Then, I remembered the times we're in… :doh:

On 02/06/2017 at 0:29 PM, Bobski said:

This is not actually true, ive just got back from Cyprus and currently the RAF are trying to punish the person who wrote on the Paveway and took the picture (it was wiped off as soon as the picture was taken btw and was never meant to go viral like it did). This is as it is actualy against the rules to draw or write on any of the weapon incase it doesnt work or parts survive and it may offend someone, silly but unfortunately true

On 6/12/2017 at 1:25 AM, Motley said:

This is not actually true, ive just got back from Cyprus and currently the RAF are trying to punish the person who wrote on the Paveway and took the picture (it was wiped off as soon as the picture was taken btw and was never meant to go viral like it did). This is as it is actualy against the rules to draw or write on any of the weapon incase it doesnt work or parts survive and it may offend someone, silly but unfortunately true

I suppose they will start to write something like this on future bombs...." We are frightfully sorry our bomb did not explode and kill you along with all your buddies. We hope we haven't hurt your feelings.".... :doh:

• Like 2