Swordfish Torpedo Questions

Airborne SF

Hello all,

I'm building the Trumpy 1/32 Swordfish Mk I, and I have a couple of questions mainly regarding British torpedos.

1.  On most photos, the steering vanes are absent on the torpedos being carried by Swordfish.  They are present on some, but on others, you can see the fixed portion of the tail appendage, the twin screws, and nothing behind them.  Was it common practice on aerial torpedos to remove the steering gear as they were only intended to go in a straight line?  Did the crew have anyway to set a course for the torpedo as a warship or submarine could, or did they just trust it to run straight?

2.  Color schemes for torpedos.  Is there any kind of standard scheme for warhead colors on torpedos in the Royal Navy.  I assume the body is polished and oiled steel, but what color were the warheads?

3.  In the center cockpit of the Swordfish, there is a long lever on the right side that according to the instructions leans to the front.  Try as I can, I can find no info on this lever on the internet.  Just for info, does anyone know what it's for?

Thanks in advance for your time.

6 hours ago, Airborne SF said:

Hello all,

I'm building the Trumpy 1/32 Swordfish Mk I, and I have a couple of questions mainly regarding British torpedos.

1.  On most photos, the steering vanes are absent on the torpedos being carried by Swordfish.  They are present on some, but on others, you can see the fixed portion of the tail appendage, the twin screws, and nothing behind them.  Was it common practice on aerial torpedos to remove the steering gear as they were only intended to go in a straight line?  Did the crew have anyway to set a course for the torpedo as a warship or submarine could, or did they just trust it to run straight?

2.  Color schemes for torpedos.  Is there any kind of standard scheme for warhead colors on torpedos in the Royal Navy.  I assume the body is polished and oiled steel, but what color were the warheads?

3.  In the center cockpit of the Swordfish, there is a long lever on the right side that according to the instructions leans to the front.  Try as I can, I can find no info on this lever on the internet.  Just for info, does anyone know what it's for?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I can only assume you are talking about the air tail that stabilised the torpedo flight when dropped,it enabled the torpedo to be dropped at a higher speed and altitude.It broke off on impact with the water. It was IIRC a Japanese invention copied by all the allies.  You can see pictures of torpedoes with or without this device.  It had nothing to do with steering the torpedo.

Selwyn

Hello, Airborne SF

I believe those torpedos without rudders on photos are dummy ones. Such torpedos were of correct weight but were there only to provide trainee pilots with a proper 'feel' of fully loaded aircraft and were not meant to be dropped, not even as training rounds.

You will find a partial answer to your question about colours in the following topic:

Unfortunately, I have no idea about lever in observer's cockpit. Cheers

Jure

It wasn't present on the Swordfish because the Swordfish didn't fly fast enough to need it.  I haven't seen it described as a Japanese invention but it could be that the Kate was the first torpedo bomber fast enough to require one.  It seems to have been an (almost) common solution to a common problem, for higher speed approaches, at slightly greater heights, resulted in the torpedo's nose dropping before entering the water, leading to greater depth and porpoising - not to mention a loss of accuracy and the possibility of breaking up.  It was used by the Italians for carriage on the SM 79 Siluranti, and the Germans adopted the Italian torpedoes and technology.  The US used a box tail rather than a wing with endplates.  I suspect that the British Monoplane Air Tail preceded any awareness of other nations' approaches. but as the Beaufort lacked a weapons bay long enough to hold the tail, this might be a guide to the timing.  (Though I suspect not: such a long bay would have required a more major redesign of the basic Blenheim configuration.)

Edited by Graham Boak

I don't think the MAT is what the OP was referring to. As Jure indicates, it's rather the rudders that sit aft of the cruciform fins at the rear of the torpedo.

For example:

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
ROYAL AIR FORCE: 1939-1945: COASTAL COMMAND. © IWM (CH 1854)IWM Non Commercial Licence

J.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot find any photos of a lever on the right hand side of the Looker's cockpit, & I have lots of pics of the RNHF Stringbags, plus other published refs.  I don't have the Trumpy 1/32 Swordfish, being a 1/48 man (though it's very tempting!); any chance you could show a pic of the instructions / parts, so we can see which bit you are talking about?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Hello

Found it, finally. In his article Swordfish Ordnance, published in SAM, Harry Woodman wrote: ˝The ’live’ warhead was painted in the colour synonymous with HE, bright buff (i.e. a rich bright yellow). Dummy heads needed to be painted in a colour easily seen by recovery vessels, hence the use of a bright red. Judging from photographs carcase dummies were possibly painted black (as were dummy bombs) but this is speculative.˝.

Unfortunately, I still have no idea about the lever. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Okay, we're going to try and attach a photo.  Big step for me, normally I avoid this point, but I've got a Flickr account going, and the photos are there (if I can ever find them again).

Question was asked to show the instructions on the lever in the center cockpit (termed the "lookers" cockpit).  Love that, I thought they were called observers.

34610250133_951f34f01f_m.jpg34610260993_3c0c636265_m.jpg

Anyway, here are the photos, I'm working on trying to get them bigger.  I have no idea where this "direct" link is that's referred to in the FAQ on photos.  I'll keep working on it

No idea how I finally did it, but here are larger legible copies.  The part is E7 on the instructions, and the photo shows how I incorporated it into the "Lookers" cockpit.  No idea if this is right or wrong, but I couldn't figure out any other way to make it fit.  Thanks for your patience guys and I appreciate the help and the replies.  As a new member, I must say I'm very impressed with this forum. It beats facebook hands down (or as I call it, the "Men Behaving Badly" site.

34610250133_951f34f01f_b.jpg

IMG_0961

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airborne SF said:

No idea how I finally did it, but here are larger legible copies.  The part is E7 on the instructions, and the photo shows how I incorporated it into the "Lookers" cockpit.  No idea if this is right or wrong, but I couldn't figure out any other way to make it fit.  Thanks for your patience guys and I appreciate the help and the replies.  As a new member, I must say I'm very impressed with this forum. It beats facebook hands down (or as I call it, the "Men Behaving Badly" site.

34610250133_951f34f01f_b.jpg

IMG_0961

Dont think its a lever, I think its a periscope for looking under the aircraft, I have seen something like this on another aircraft somewhere.

Selwyn

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:18 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Found it, finally. In his article Swordfish Ordnance, published in SAM, Harry Woodman wrote: ˝The ’live’ warhead was painted in the colour synonymous with HE, bright buff (i.e. a rich bright yellow). Dummy heads needed to be painted in a colour easily seen by recovery vessels, hence the use of a bright red. Judging from photographs carcase dummies were possibly painted black (as were dummy bombs) but this is speculative.˝.

Unfortunately, I still have no idea about the lever. Cheers

Jure

Could you please tell me what issue this article is in?

Chris

On 19 June 2017 at 8:18 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Found it, finally. In his article Swordfish Ordnance, published in SAM, Harry Woodman wrote: ....

Sounds interesting.  What issue was the article in, please?

Tell me about it. I occasionally browse through the old numbers of magazines and write down particularly interesting titles into a makeshift index for a future use. Nevertheless this is a drop in a sea compared to all those articles still waiting to be re-discovered and re-read. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Slight correction of my previous post: the article was not published in SAM, it was published in SAMI's January 2001 issue. My apologies for a mix up. Cheers

Jure

Found it!

Chris

They were (and still are) officially called Observers.  Unofficially, since 'observe' means look, they're called "Lookers" (among many other things, generally far ruder...)