Classic British German Tank - Matchbox Panzer II

Everybody’s got to start somewhere; that’s just a fact of life. For the German Army of WWII, the most basic frontline tank used in great numbers was the Panzer II. Far from the complex and fire-breathing tanks of the Heer’s later years, the “little training tank that could” nonetheless was an important vehicle in Germany’s early-war arsenal.

For me, the Panzer II was my start, as well, into building armour kits for real. Now, I don’t bother with all the fancy photoetch and stuff; I just want to have fun and make some neat tanks! For this, the 1/76 Matchbox tanks are perfect. They’re small, simple, but well-detailed and they go together with a minimum of fuss.

Check out my beginning below, and see what you think of my efforts on this old-school armoured featherweight. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks to Matchbox, now I’m hooked on 1/76 armour!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/ships-and-tanks/176-matchbox-panzer-ii-ausf-f/

panzer-ii-025.jpg?w=400

Edited by Faust
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Love the little matchbox kits..did you do the diarama that comes with the matchbox armour kits? They made the model stand out from the rest.

has revell reissued all of them or just a few? 

Ps...very nice build..and it does look cute..lol!!

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2017 at 11:03 AM, zathrus101 said:

Love the little matchbox kits..did you do the diarama that comes with the matchbox armour kits? They made the model stand out from the rest.

has revell reissued all of them or just a few? 

Ps...very nice build..and it does look cute..lol!!

Sadly, as I mentioned in the linked article, there was no diorama with that kit. It was second hand, and someone clearly wanted the dio for themselves. You're right, though; the diorama bases are my favourite parts  of the Matchbox kits! The good news is that all the other ones I picked up DID have their bases. You can see the M-16, complete with its base, here: https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/ships-and-tanks/matchbox-172-m16-halftrack/

I believe this has been reissued by Revell Germany; I think all the armour gets cycled through, on what appears to be about a 10-year cycle! 

Thanks again for the compliments!

Edited by Faust