Su-25K ArtModel 1:72

In my opinion, the ArtModel Su-25K is the most accurate Rook currently available in 1/72 but it is by no means an easy build.  It’s a limited-run, mixed-media kit and that comes with some compromises in terms of fit.  Also, the plastic seemed to have an inconsistent texture in places, which made it difficult to re-scribe straight panel lines after the repeated heavy filling and sanding sessions. Nonetheless, the shape is right and there is some really nice surface detail. I augmented the kit with HR Model etch, which provided some nice details for the cockpit and airframe.  The B8M rocket pods came from a Dragon weapon set (slightly lengthened for accuracy), the S24 heavy rockets came from an ICM set, and the R60s are from Streem; the load-out is intended to be representative of that used during Russian ops in Chechnya.

I used Authentic Decals Su-25 Part 1 for the markings, which I am sorry to say were a disaster.  I think the decals must have had no carrier film as they disintegrated on contact with the water, especially those that were just a single layer of ink ie the white numerals.  In the end, I cobbled together the necessary markings from the kit decals and what I could salvage from the Authentic Decals sheet by using some Microscale liquid decal film.  By the way, the kit decals were entirely usable and behaved well, although the stencils lacked a little finesse. 

I’ll admit to not being 100% confident about the colours I’ve used for this particular machine (from the 960th ShAP at Primorsko-Akhtarsk in 2009) but I think it looks just about OK overall, although not my best work. 

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

• Like 21

I like Russian hardware,they look more purposeful than thier western counterparts,as for worrying about the right colours and this not being your best work,I think it looks well tidy indeed.:clap2:

• Like 1

That's a good looking Rook you've got there... nicely done! I agree with you that the Frogfoot is a very purposeful-looking machine, and i think you have captured the look very well. I have that kit in my stash and plan to start it soon. Any pitfalls I need to watch out for?  

• Like 1

Looks good to me. Thanks for the info on the Authentic Decals sheet, I will be sure to use plenty of Microscale decal film. I recall having problems with their sheet for the Ka-29....

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments - much appreciated!

13 hours ago, TBP1538 said:

I have that kit in my stash and plan to start it soon. Any pitfalls I need to watch out for?  

There is a lot that is good about this kit.  Biggest pitfall was getting the fuselage halves and all the elements of the nacelles to align together properly - plenty of fill, sand, repeat!  The Su-25 has some raised panels (behind the cockpit, at the wing roots) that aren't present in the kit, so I made these from 5 thou plastic card and the canopy lacks the prominent internal ribbing.  The wheel wells would benefit from a little bit of detailing too, if that's your thing!

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looks good to me, better in fact than I'll expect from the old KP kit I've got. A mainstream up to date kit of one of these would be welcome imho.

Steve.

A mainstream up-to-date kit would be great, but probably unlikely.  I've got an old KP kit in the stash too, which is pretty good shapewise (IMHO) but lacks finesse in the smaller details.  Still worth a build, I reckon!

6 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build of the Artmodel kit. Haven't built any of mine yet. 

Did you scratch build the launch rails for the S-24 as most kits that include them seem to not have it. 

I think the APU-68 rails were lifted from the Streem set where I got the R60s ... but I can't be sure!

3 hours ago, James G said:

Looks good to me. Thanks for the info on the Authentic Decals sheet, I will be sure to use plenty of Microscale decal film. I recall having problems with their sheet for the Ka-29....

I may have just been unlucky James.  Worth checking before diving in though (lesson learned for me!)

• Like 1