Cargo Liner

After I left the tanker Algol, I spent a fairly happy year in the brand new general cargo liner Bandama, ex Silveravon, running between Marseilles, Valencia, Sete, Barcelona, Port St. Louis, Genoa, Marina de Carara, Leghorn, and the West African ports of Abidjan and San Pedro.   South bound with general cargo, and north bound with logs and bagged coffee.    At the end of that time, I was able to return to passneger liners, in which I spent my final 13 years at sea.   

Bob

Bandama_ex_Silveravon_Medium.jpg_Silveravon_Medium.jpg

• Like 1

Fortunately, no one will!:lol: because merchant ships are not considered as  "romantic" enough for the majority of ship modellers, the modelmking obsession being warships.      But to me, one sea battle is pretty much like another, and far more interesting things happenned in merchant ships, whatever the type:D  and are certainly far more colourful.   In peace-time, navy life seems to be one monotous round of drills, practice and discipline ad infinitum.   Should a war crop up, the merchant navy is always dragged in anyway, and is usually in the thick of it, for very little glory or recognition.:unamused:       

As a dedicated scratchbuilder, I would not like to see any major swing to kits of such vessels.   Over recent, years it seems to be confined to Titanic an Cutty Sark.   But in the 50s, I remember plastic kits of cargo ships Benledi and Hawaiian Pilot, and oil tankers J L Hanna and Shell Welder.        I did assemble Hawaian Pilot and J L Hanna in the 50s, but they gave me zero satisfaction.   This was my first ship in 1961, similar design to Hawaian Pilot.    Scratchbuilt - of course!

Bob

https://s26.postimg.cc/6z7eugit5/Rhodesia_Star.jpg

Edited by ShipbuilderMN
  • Like 2