Opinion's on Airbrushing Revell Aqua paints?

RiotRolo

As the title suggests,

I would appreciate if members on the forum who have used these paints could let me know whether they are any good for airbrushing.

I have been using Gunze Aqueous on a 1/48 Bf 110 and also the same scale of a Fw 190A-8 and I honestly cannot fault the paint themselves; they are awesome to airbrush with and even work quite well hand painting small parts. The main thing that does bother me is the quite small 10ml pots combined with the £2 price point. After painting both these models I think I will not have much of the standard Luftwaffe colours left and the black is almost gone completely.

Therefore, following using these paints, would switching the Revell Aqua paints be any good in terms of airbrushing? They come in 18ml pots and are also quite cheap. I tested out an old olive drab I had from a few years ago using water to thin, I noticed that the paint is quite thick from the pot and wonder whether they may be quite inconsistent.

Either way, please let me know all your thoughts on these paints, needs be; i could buy colours such as black, grey, white to be used through my airbrush for pre- shading as I think this is where most of my colours are used.

Thanks

I'm by no means an expert in this field, but I have airbrushed Revell Aqua on multiple occasions and have been happy with the results.

Thinned to the fabled "milky" consistency (I use tap water) they spray nicely through my cheap airbrush at 17~20 PSI, giving a flat even colour with no noticeable pebbling or orange peel.  I do tend to prime before use (Halfords grey).

Cleanup is very easy, you can just use water though I do recommend making sure you've reached everywhere with a pipe cleaner or tool of choice, the paint can be quite hardy!

Give it a go with your olive drab on a plastic bottle or carton.

Hope this helps.

I love them. The range of colours isn't the greatest and the metallics can be a bit iffy, but I find them very easy to use and clean up is a doddle.

• 3 months later...

The revell aqua paint is fairly thick, i use the revell aqua semi gloss black over other brands as its so easy to use.

I tend to use a 1:1 mix of water and paint and spray about 15psi.

I sometimes add water to the paint pot every now and then to thin the paint as it can dry out. I have some small pots of paint (the ones that come with kits) and had to add water to these as the moisture had dried up. Adding water to these pots is one of the advantages to using these paints.

• 1 month later...

I have used Aqua paints for both brush and airbrush and the important thing about them is that they need thinning. I use de-ionised water and a bit of flow improver and they go on well and dry fairly quickly. Like most acrylics they need more than one  coat. I find a pot lasts for ages if you add water to it to stop the paint drying out. It was a bit weird the first time I used it to find a modern paint so thick

• Like 1

Just to add to this, i've been trying to get a better flow when using the revell paints, water and the airbrush.

After looking online, i've seen a few people use Windscreen cleaner, so i thought i'd use some to see if it help. WOW! what a different this makes and couple it with 1ml of acetone, the paint just flows.

Good old Revell Aqua. Easily one of the best Acrylic paints I have used for both brush and spray. As mentioned by others, make sure you check the pots regularly, and add a bit of water to keep it from drying out.

Another tip; You will find two 'prongs' on the lids that are supposed to fit into holes on the pot. These never stay straight, and even if slightly warped, stop the container from closing fully. Get your sidecutters, and snip those prongs off flush with the lid, and you will find the lid closes much better afterwards, with less drying.

• 1 month later...

I love revell aqua! they are thick.... but i thin them with Ajax window cleaner (with ammonia) for both spraying and brushing. window cleaner thins the paint properly without beading. i clean wet paint with window cleaner, then dried paint with the aqua color cleanr or vallejo cleaner. What i like it that they are thick so using it for brush painting small bits and panels is great.

Never had any problem with Revell, unlike Humbrol which seems to always clog airbrush, last very well as others have said, just wish they would update the range of colours. I use 1:1 with a 75% water 25% flow enhancer premix.