Italeri F-104G undersides?

speedbird

Hi guys, a quick question for the starfighter experts out there. I've just got hold of  the italeri F-104G kit . The painting instructions for the West German Air Force  jabo 31 state the undersides are silver but every pic I've seen so far seem to show them as  light grey. Can anyone clarify which one is  correct?

The colour is RAL 9006, known as Weissaluminium, which, as it's name suggests, is an aluminium colour. It's not a bright silver, and on some photos it can look grey. However, despite what has been written and what's been said it is NOT a shade of grey, and every German F-104 that I've seen during my time in the RAF in Germany was definitely an aluminium underside. I used Xtracolor aluminium on my 1/32 F-104G, and it looked just fine to me. HTH  :worms:

Edited by Starfighter
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Starfighter said:

The colour is RAL 9006, known as Weissaluminium,

That's the one. You could also try Matt coated silver (Humbrol 11). It ends up close. I tried that on my recent Turkish F-84F.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

I did that on my meteor T7 and it looked very close to the example in the Newark Air Museum. I was thinking is something like Halfords BMW silver over painted with Matt varnish. How silvery was the underside in real life? 

58 minutes ago, speedbird said:

How silvery was the underside in real life?

Quite silvery when freshly painted, but quickly weathering to a dull silvery-grey finish when exposed to the West German weather,

Cheers,

Andre

I'm currently building an Italian F-104G (Ghedi bases with the devil's tail) and will be using Weissaluminium too. I have two books about the Italian F-104 in service and pictures show that it's the same as used on the German Starfighters.

Mr. Paint also has this colour in range which is ideal to airbrush

cf181204d2159097e4b79ef95782fb5f.image.4

Cheers Evert

I've not tried those other colours, but I did try Xtracolor's weissaluminium once, and it looked too flat & "White " to me, so I settled for their aluminium FS 17178, which looked about right ( to me, anyway ) Not sure about acrylic paints, as I don't use them, but that's the colour I used, for what it's worth. :cheers:

Edited by Starfighter