1/48 - North American FJ-2/-3 & -3M Fury by Kitty Hawk - FJ-2 & FJ-3 released - upgrade/date sets by Hypersonic Models

Homebee

Well I would agree with that. The intake is piched in towards the bottom but the aft fuselage is really bad along with the spine on the HB kit. Maybe a kit bash with the GP kit would correct it. I'm currently finishing the HB kit and the rear fuselage really bothers me much more than the GP kit's intake. I also have the GP kit but it is unbuilt at the moment. I did a build of the GP kit several years ago but when I was able to get a hold of a Collect Aire FJ-3 I used the really nice resin cockpit parts for it. All the Fury cockpits except for the -1 were essentially the same. So I eventually tossed the rest of the kit. The GP kit does take some work no doubt.  

5 hours ago, jpk said:

Another So. Weymouth upload. Interesting one wing folded but It shows the orange layout on the wing.

south%20weymouth%20fury_zps8irvthoc.jpg

How considerate: it'as almost like they did that with future modellers in mind! :)

• Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, 71chally said:

Another call for the contents of this thread to be pinned, perhaps the reference stuff can be separated to form a permanent thread somewhere?

That would be enormously helpful. Having all this wonderful photographic and diagrammatic material embedded among the enlightening comments is almost embarras de richesses! (Just practicing for the old Mirage GB there...I may not finish the thing, but I'll be able to converse with it. :wonder:)

On May 30, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Sabrejet said:

Well please please PLEASE!!! do VF-121 markings for it... (here's hoping).

136142/111:

z%2020_zpslswimce3.jpg

141401/101:

z%2019_zpsqtu5qcbv.jpg

141401/101:

z%2018_zpsyqiz61wc.jpg

z%2015_zpszsixedbc.jpg

136142/111:

z%2017_zpscnxhm5r1.jpg

136144/00:

z%2016_zps8rpgqydu.jpg

z%2013_zpsf6avof3t.jpg

z%2012_zpsicm8idey.jpg

141401/101:

z%2011_zpsbpvzdrke.jpg

136144/00:

z%2010_zpswnynewec.jpg

141402/106:

z%208_zpskrne8phi.jpg

z%209_zps0vtpmoqh.jpg

z%204_zpsrd1u33ak.jpg

z%202aa_zpssk2zokhq.jpg

z%202a_zpskgknvhhh.jpg

141414/109:

z%203_zpsjr0ekjw9.jpg

z%201_zpszjumjsl8.jpg

141410/108:

z%201a_zpsmlqwk8ta.jpg

z%2014_zpsfqqkcnlp.jpg

z%206_zpsu27kzdpk.jpg

z%202_zpsxaallv4m.jpg

Micro scale released a bunch back when the ERTL kit came out, I got my favorite VMF 232 Death Rattlers "Come to fight, come to Win" and the navy squadron with the Rams horns on the nose section. The Planes of Fame air museum has a -3 in the markings of a navy squadron but it is in serious need of restoration. They flew the F-86-F-30 Sabre the other day, a beautiful aircraft. Now if KH could only due an accurate (and I use that term loosely) F7U-3....and if elephants could fly, etc.

Edited by Spitfire addict
Grammar

There are so many colorful Fury Markings, silver, blue and gray over white and more, I'm sure VF-121 will be one of them. I would imagine there will be no shortage. Furball and Victory no doubt are busily working away to make some comprehensive sheets like they did for the Cougars, Panthers and Demons.

Edited by jpk

After all the negative press and accuracy problems with the early Banshee kit and KH having pushed back the release of their late Banshee to "retool" it, I think there will be a bit more care being taken now with their newer designs.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2017 at 6:24 PM, Spitfire addict said:

(long repeat)

Psssst .... hey, Spitfire Addict ... there's no need to repost all those beautiful pictures again (yes, that sentence as well as your post is for the most part redundant). :huh:

It takes just a moment to edit your reply  before sending.

Respectfully,

Gene K

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Psssst .... hey, Spitfire Addict ... there's no need to repost all those beautiful pictures again (yes, that sentence as well as your post is for the most part redundant). :huh:

It takes just a moment to edit your reply  before sending.

Respectfully,

Gene K

I forgot that the pics might repost when a quote is used instead of a reply. Thanks for a heads up on that, I didn't mean to offend your sensibilities. Thank heavens we have those who are willing to monitor and point out the various faux pas that the rest of us may not recognize. In future I shall avoid quoting when numerous pictures are present in the post. Have a wonderful day!

Cheers

For someone that doesn't want to wait for the Kitty Hawk kit, there's a Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury on eBay right now. The auction just started and the starting price is $85.00 plus $8.86 shipping.

• Like 1

Newbie here, but I couldn't resist joining after seeing this extensive thread on the FJ-3 Fury. It has long been my desire to see a full-fledged plastic kit of this little beauty, especially in 1/72 scale. I hope somebody issues a kit before I get too old to build it! In the meantime, I completed the resin RVHP FJ-3 as a place holder in my collection of 1/72 U.S. Naval aircraft. The kit is OK in overall shape, but details and fit are disappointing. I had a buddy custom ALPS print a set of decals for VF-33 in the gloss sea blue scheme. I used slats from a Hobbycraft Sabre. 

Furyweb3_zpsjs5dl5zd.jpg
Furyweb1_zpscpfcg4np.jpg
Furyweb2_zpswjm4hnyq.jpg
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Newbie here, but I couldn't resist joining after seeing this extensive thread on the FJ-3 Fury. It has long been my desire to see a full-fledged plastic kit of this little beauty, especially in 1/72 scale. I hope somebody issues a kit before I get too old to build it! In the meantime, I completed the resin RVHP FJ-3 as a place holder in my collection of 1/72 U.S. Naval aircraft. The kit is OK in overall shape, but details and fit are disappointing. I had a buddy custom ALPS print a set of decals for VF-33 in the gloss sea blue scheme. I used slats from a Hobbycraft Sabre. 

Furyweb3_zpsjs5dl5zd.jpg
Furyweb1_zpscpfcg4np.jpg
Furyweb2_zpswjm4hnyq.jpg

Hi Paul. I commented on your Fury in another post. You did a great job with that RVHP kit. I said earlier in this thread that it, (the Kitty Hawk Fury) has gotten more attention and interest here at Britmodeler than on the US sites or on Hyperscale. It pretty much faded into obscurity on HS. I don't think it was even mentioned on Zone Five.

The RVHP Fury, I would have liked to have bought one but when they appeared on eBay they were always very expensive. Again, nice job, I've always liked the VF-33 scheme, blue or gray over white.   

23 hours ago, jpk said:

For someone that doesn't want to wait for the Kitty Hawk kit, there's a Collect Aire FJ-3 Fury on eBay right now. The auction just started and the starting price is $85.00 plus $8.86 shipping.

I think I read a build article (possibly by Fotious Rouch?) somewhere about the CA one... waiting for the plastic one is very likely the better option. And, factoring in building time, probably quicker!

3 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

I had a buddy custom ALPS print a set of decals for VF-33 in the gloss sea blue scheme.

And that is the Money Scheme for me! Please God let it be in the KH box, or aftermarket halo release... :pray:

AWESOME work on that beast, by the way! :worthy:

• Like 1

There was one CA FJ-3 Fury posted on HS in their archives and it consisted of a single photo of the finished model. I checked Cybermodeler and while Fotios Rouch posted several CA builds there, he did not post one involving the -3 Fury.

• Like 1

On 2017-6-13 at 14:59, Paul Boyer said:

Paul, I am sure your name rings a bell: FSM maybe?

Nice FJ too!

FSM definitely! Was one of the editors for just shy of 24 years. Although I "retired" 11 years ago, I still write freelance reviews and articles. (I should do something with my profile here. Gimme a minute . . . .)

• Like 2

On 2017-6-13 at 2:59 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Welcome Paul to the best modelling forum on the internet!

That's one fine looking Fury there, which combined with the other pictures posted here makes me want this kit even more.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 7:52 PM, jpk said:

I checked Cybermodeler and while Fotios Rouch posted several CA builds there, he did not post one involving the -3 Fury.

Actually I thought it was on Hyperscale or somewhere -Mr Rouch's name stood out because of his numerous CollectAire builds, but it was a while ago and I obviously mis-attributed!

AngstROM, that's easy to do because Fotios built so many CA kits. The majority of his builds appear to be on Cybermodeler however he does have a few on Hyperscale as well. He sent me a few photos of "some" of his unbuilt CA kit collection. They easily numbered in close to a hundred perhaps. He seemingly might have personally kept Collect Aire in business LOL.

Edited by jpk

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all just my two cents here. Having built the Grand Phoenix kit (original release) and having the Fj-4b Hobbyboss kit in my collection to be built sometime later this year. I can tell you that I truly believe Hobbyboss cloned the Grand Phoenix kit. If you have both kits look close. it has the same parts breakdown though Hobbyboss simplified the arresting gear doors from six pieces to 2. And they both failed to produce the undercanopy details (looks like i will be scratchbuilding them again).  The only major difference that ive seen is the landing gear. Hobbyboss's nose gear is shorter than it should be (thats why scale aircraft conversions is in busness.) but its not the fiddely 3 piece white metal/resin affairs that Grand Phoenix gives you. A positive note for Hobbyboss's fury is the plastic is a better quality than Grand Phoenix's. And my intake/cockpit floor wont be so thin you can see through it. Now that being said i've heard Kitty hawk may be doing an Fj-3/3m to be released later this year. And i would personally love that and an F-86h in 1/48 scale wouldnt be bad either. No one offers anything but F-86e's & f's

• 1 month later...

To revive an older thread. SWORD has just announced they will be releasing a series of Furies in 1/72 scale. They will include the FJ-2, FJ-3 and FJ-3M versions.  If possible Sabrejet, could you re-upload your library of Fury photos via another program as Photobucket is now charging to allow third party photo sharing. All the photos you've uploaded are no longer viewable. Your information is so valuable with the pending release of both the 1/72 SWORD and 1/48 Kitty Hawk Furies.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello all just my two cents here. Having built the Grand Phoenix kit (original release) and having the Fj-4b Hobbyboss kit in my collection to be built sometime later this year. I can tell you that I truly believe Hobbyboss cloned the Grand Phoenix kit. If you have both kits look close. it has the same parts breakdown though Hobbyboss simplified the arresting gear doors from six pieces to 2. And they both failed to produce the undercanopy details (looks like i will be scratchbuilding them again).  The only major difference that ive seen is the landing gear. Hobbyboss's nose gear is shorter than it should be (thats why scale aircraft conversions is in busness.) but its not the fiddely 3 piece white metal/resin affairs that Grand Phoenix gives you. A positive note for Hobbyboss's fury is the plastic is a better quality than Grand Phoenix's. And my intake/cockpit floor wont be so thin you can see through it. Now that being said i've heard Kitty hawk may be doing an Fj-3/3m to be released later this year. And i would personally love that and an F-86h in 1/48 scale wouldnt be bad either. No one offers anything but F-86e's & f's

I agree HB copied to a degree the GP FJ-4. Too bad they didn't copy the rear fuselage lines as the GP kit is more accurate. HB however got the intake better than GP. GP also got the LABS antenna right whereas HB did not. Harold at AMS resin does a cockpit set for the -4 Fury and includes the under the rear canopy details that the two kits do not have. If I were to do it again I would kit bash the two. Interestingly, of the two releases by GP of the Fury, only one can be made as a -4B and that one is the VA-116 aircraft. The other five are straight -4's.

• Thanks 1