***finished*** Airfix Javelin FAW9 1/72

Well made some room on my bench so room for another entry, could enter an academy tempest but I think Ill wait till my spit/hurri pair are done for that, have this in the stash so I give it a go, built this kit before last summer, but because I'm a moron I forgot to add the tanks during the build and tried to add them once it was painted an decals......can imagine what happened.

Air%20T4%20Javelin.JPG

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

As an older kit not much to build, should actually checked out other airfixs of similar vintage, need to stop being a snob about the raised panel lines, sure theres some good subjects I'm missing out on.  Slightly different plastic the one I build last year, got it in a swap deal and I believe it was from the a gift set with some other kits released more recently.

BAF15D52-0C6A-4092-801D-67A644F1D7EA_zps

not much detail in the cockpits, I really don't care for them, lick of paint and the decals and I'm happy, easpically if I add pilots, which  this edition didn't come with unlike the last so I shall have to go in the spares box for the already painted ones. 

22DA4F69-2DFC-4A28-9BA0-CDDF09B45FF7_zps

• Like 1

Although an old kit I recall this being a worthwhile one with some good detail and no horrors waiting for the unwary during assembly.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Although an old kit I recall this being a worthwhile one with some good detail and no horrors waiting for the unwary during assembly.

Yep, should really consider looking at more of these slightly older airfix/heller (and MB) kits sure there's some nice gap fillers of similar quality. Anyway pauses construction would like to get the f-111 of the bench first. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...

Heres how it looked last thursday. Haven't worked on it as the silver spray was low and decided to save it for the spitfire when I went to buy some more and found I have no money on me on Friday. Some further sanding needed before another coat. Also go to scratch build the port missle rail 

78D71851-CA04-4DAA-A905-685D5ECF99BC_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

You could try robbing a 1/72nd Lightning (if you have access to one) of a missile rail: the new Airfix F. 2A has rails for both Firestreak and Red Top so you could finish that either as a four-gun F. 2A or an F. 6.  Just an idea.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stever219 said:

You could try robbing a 1/72nd Lightning (if you have access to one) of a missile rail: the new Airfix F. 2A has rails for both Firestreak and Red Top so you could finish that either as a four-gun F. 2A or an F. 6.  Just an idea.....

Are they the same on the Jav in reality? the ones in the kit are differently shapped but that might just be a inaccuracy, if so you have made my day, I have plenty lightning rails spare :)

edit: they do look like the lightning ones in photos, ace, will be able to fit another pair of fire streaks as well :) :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Brilliant:: I'm glad you've got some rails.  They're weapon-specific rather than airframe specific so it probably is different kit designers' interpretation of the rails that has resulted in the differences.

I'm working on a 1/48th Javelin at present, but it's getting the 2 tanks, 2 Firestreaks and probe fit.  One day I'll learn how to post images (I know there is on-screen guidance, but I can't make any sense of it).  I've another in the stash that may well get the four tanks and probe fit: it even looks aggressive without missiles.

• Like 1

Just got to dry before I can gloss it for decals, figured what caused the earlier scratches, and its the pot I use to support it as more have appeared, will leave them as its just not worth the hassle now to remask it again when it could happen again anyway 4E13D5E3-16F0-4373-8F2E-DDA1C584F053_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Only got the one pair of firestreaks as one of the rails vanished and is still missing, also whilst I've called this finished, going to re varnish it as for some reason the satin has come out gloss. Not happy with the stand, but the more sturdy one I had planned to use doesn't fit between the tanks so had to swap with already finished model, 

35506788892_32965746c2_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1