IWM Duxford 27, 28 May

Jonny

I bought a ticket for the SUNDAY.  On arrival I was told the only scheduled display that wasn't going to happen was the the Sea Vixen ... I heard a number of "experts" expressingopinioons such as undercarriage collapse,  Pilot error ... Thanks to a more authoritative thread here I learned the facts when I got home.

What surprised me was the apparent drop in visitors, AND the lack of 'stalls', evidenced by the empty seats in the Friends of Duxford enclosure anjd the carpark.  I couldn't find the "Big H" stand and it was with some effort I tracked KitKrazy, and Mr. Models, a long way from their normal positions.

Did anyone else go, Saturday or on Sunday?  I thought the Typhoon GR4 display - early on - was good but the Raphale - toward the end - was FANTASTIC!  Just my impression but I decided to avoid the traffic and left after the Raphale display.  THe carpark was half empty!

Was it just me, or were there fewer visitors on the Suinday?  Were there really fewer stalls there?

I'm NOT complaining about the show - it was good.  But I had (and still have) the feeling it wasn't very well attended, and many of the regular stalls were absent.

Jonny

• Like 1

Hi Jonny

I went to the show both days, and treated myself to one of the enclosures (at a rather exorbitant rate!), so can't really comment on the number of visitors because I went in early to grab a front row seat. 

I was a Friend for many years, but let my membership lapse because a change of job meant that I would have less time to go to Duxford and therefore justify the membership. In fact, I didn't visit at all in 2016, in part due to the new job, but also because of the introduction of advance ticket only sales and the rip-off parking charge!

I would definitely agree that there were fewer traders than I had ever seen, and I put that down to organisational greed. A former colleague used to trade at Duxford until several years ago, but the pitch fees became so high, that as a small trader, he was unable to make any money. 

I sent IWM an email with my thoughts and also responded to a questionnaire that was emailed to me yesterday. 

Like you, I really enjoyed the show, but I'm not sure that it was worth the money when compared to RIAT.

I am afraid that my airshow mojo has gone with the changes that appear to be in place ,and reading the above does not help. Remember "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? I went to Duxford almost every year since the mid seventies when it all began and I have no real unsavoury memories of hold ups getting in,getting out yes! I have always thought the entrance fee very reasonable and happy to pay it but not online! Part of the pleasure is also browsing the model and painting galleries, is this fading as well? Sadly I have no incling to attend a show this year and at best I might try Shuttleworth next year as I have never been. Airshows have for years been "safe " but I feel something has changed and that maybe the public are being taken for granted. I better stop here as I may run out of ink!