Some Gannet related colour questions.

Creepy Pete

Hi all,

I am currently working on the Revell 1/72 Fairey Gannet, in Marineflieger markings, and I have some questions.

First, the radome under the fuselage. Revell wants me to paint it black, but were they really this colour, or were they some unpainted dark fibreglass shade?

Second, would Humbrol 90 be a good match for the Sky on the lower fuselage? If not, any suggestions? I have access to Humbrol, Revell, Italeri, Vallejo, Heller, Gunze acrylic, Tamiya, MR Paint, AK Interactive and Alclad's stuff. (Gotta love a well stocked hobbyshop)

Thanks in advance!

The very base/underside of the radome seemed to vary from Sky, light tan shades to black, the retracted area being in airframe colour.

I use Humbrol 90 for the main airframe colour.

Unsure if the later service Marineflieger Gannets might have been in a more grey colour rather than Sky?

Theres a very nice selection of photos of "my" Gannet XA334 (or Miranda as she's more commonly known)

in the walkround section here.

Photos taken by me and posted here by my thieving offspring!

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Theres a very nice selection of photos of "my" Gannet XA334 (or Miranda as she's more commonly known)

in the walkround section here.

Photos taken by me and posted here by my thieving offspring!

Now why didn't I think of looking there earlier? :doh: That's a very nice selection indeed! Thanks!

14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Sorry to stray a bit here, but can Gunze be brush painted @Giorgio N?

Some modellers do, I personally struggle though. I can do touch-ups and paint small areas but I'd never use them with a brush for something as large as a 1/72 Gannet model. To get a decent result with a brush, better use their own thinner. I managed to do something half decent using a retarder for acrylic paints but I didn't enjoy the job much

For brush painting my favourite Sky is Xtracrylics, once the surface is properly primed this paint works great. Accuracy also looks very good to my eyes, others may have researched this aspect more.

Of course Xtracrylics can also be airbrushed although some find this difficult. Personally I've found ways to airbrush pretty much everything but Xtracrylics and Lifecolors took me some time to master them. Gunzes on the other hand are so easy to spray that I managed to do it easily the very first day I bought my first airbrush

24 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Thanks @Giorgio N I only brush paint and have always remained faithful to Humbrol, however had some strange experiences with it lately and am wondering if there are better alternatives.

Glad to help !

There sure are alternatives, if you like enamels then trying the WEM paints may be an idea, I've heard good things about them. Never tried them myself though, so can't guarantee.

I would also try some water thinned acrylic like the Vallejo, Lifecolor and Xtracrylics ranges. Personally I find all of them very easy to use with a brush. Some don't like them because they sometime dry too fast, reason why I suggest trying them first, you may like them or not. If you do like them, then the fast drying time is an advantage as allows to speed things up a lot

• Like 1

I used Hu 90 enamel for my Sea Hawk, brushed,  and to me it looks like I think Sky should look. However, I built that kit 21 years ago, and the tin probably acquired in '91. But if you can find an old tin ...😜

Most of the tins I use are a good 15-20 years old, but I've now got to the stage where I'm having to buy the new stuff and I hadn't appreciated just how much more difficult it is to work with for hand painting.

A topic for another thread  I guess!

Good look with your Gannet!