Air Namibia Boeing 747SP to Windhoek

My first Vac-Form kit I have build.And only for the reason that it is the only Boeing 747SP kit available,except the resin kit from Authentic Airliners.

The build was challenging as I had no experience with Vac-Form kits,but I managed to get it eventually together.

While working on this kit for almost 1 year,I came up with the idea to make an In-Flight diaorma,which I thought would be a nice way of displaying it.

For my first ever Boeing 747SP I wanted a special and nice scheme,I had Air Mauritius,South African Airways and Air Namibia in my mind.

Air Mauritius decals I couldn't find and the only South African Airways markings I found where the new ones.But I wanted my -SP to have a cheatline and the Air Namibia scheme is very attractive.

The decal set comes from f-dcal and is of the usual good quality,application though showed some size discrepancies,it was a tad too long.Nevertheless I managed to get it on the Jumbo.

For the display stand I took another wooden board from my tv-table as I had no use for it anyway.The size was right too.

I airbrushed it with different shades of brown and green to simulate sand and trees,and painted on a river with some side arms to give more depth.

After that was done and dry,I used cotton balls to create "clouds".

As I also wanted to create contrails,I drilled small holes in the cones of the engines hot sections and superglued thin wires in.On those I applied white glue and pasted thin pieces of cotton balls on it.I know,the contrails are appearing behind the wings,but as to hide somehow the wire I already put some thin pieces at the end of the hot sections.

The model itself sits on a transparent plastic tube.

For being my very first vac-form kit and also the first in-flight display like that,I am quite happy with the outcome,although the model has some flaws.

I don't know if I ever will build another Vac-Form kit again,as I am more the plastic-modeller,but it was a nice and interesting experience.

The only problem I have now is...where to put this diorama ?:hmmm::shrug:

Here now the Air Namibia Boeing 747SP on its way to Windhoek.Have a nice flight

I hope you like it

20170529_194739_zpsopbej6ex.jpg

20170529_194655_zpsdgphfndt.jpg

20170529_194637_zpsdg9ytbuv.jpg

20170529_194619_zpsq8r0oocb.jpg

20170529_194601_zpsi6sbbehl.jpg

20170529_194551_zpsic2nstdx.jpg

20170529_194529_zpstwubuuom.jpg

20170529_194512_zpsnxrghlsa.jpg

Note:No cats included, as they are not able to "fly"...:winkgrin:

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 30

Nice one Alex!

I certainly can't see any flaws, it's another slick finish again!

I think the 747sp is one of Welsh's best.

Love the livery and a very different diorama display.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Well done Alex - Fantastic on every level (including 30000ft) !

• It's an African airline
  • It has a cheatline
  • It's brought great viewing pleasure

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

...and I'll give you two extra for it being a vacform

I started building the same kit many, many years ago but it landed on the shelf of doom and there was no fuel........

mike

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Well done Alex - Fantastic on every level (including 30000ft) !

• It's an African airline
  • It has a cheatline
  • It's brought great viewing pleasure

...and I'll give you two extra for it being a vacform

I started building the same kit many, many years ago but it landed on the shelf of doom and there was no fuel........

mike

Thank you very much Mike.

Ohh,thats sad to hear.Maybe you should give it another try and finish your 747SP...?

I had my doubts too as if I can finish this kit.Vacforms are not so much my "thing",but I badly wanted a -SP in my collection and had no other choice that the Welsh kit.

Now with the Authentic Airliners kit being available,I might get me one of those too...:whistle:

Another great build from your production lne Alex, dont remember seeing an SP on here before, nice job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Cheers Michael.                         

• Like 1

Very nice indeed Alex. Congratulations on building the kit in a year - it took me about ten years although I admit that included some long periods of inactivity.  It builds into an impressive model and you've certainly done it justice.

6 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

..... I had also planned on building it wheels up as I was not sure how mounting the gear would go.

Ray, I built mine wheels down and although it was a long time ago I don't remember any insuperable problems.  A large sheet of glass and a fair bit of patience were necessary to make sure all eighteen wheels touched the ground but if I can do it anyone can!

• Like 2

I'm very tempted to buy one of these some day, looking at yours I just might have to bring that day forward! it looks beautiful in that scheme.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job Alex there's something classy about the SP which suited just about every livery (especially the Alliance Air one)....

Thank you .

Yes the Alliance Air scheme was superb.But its a bit too difficult to airbrush that livery.For that reason I bought me a 1/400 metal model of that aircraft

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Thank you .

Yes the Alliance Air scheme was superb.But its a bit too difficult to airbrush that livery.For that reason I bought me a 1/400 metal model of that aircraft

Same here i have her in 1:500 and 1:400 both Herpa...

• Like 1