AFV Club Churchill Mk III 1/35 (AF 35153)

NobleSavage

About to embark upon my first build in a long long time, I'm aware that this is quite a challenging kit so before I begin I'd like to pick your brainboxes. If anyone with experience of this kit has any advice that will help me avoid unnecessary pain and suffering it would be greatly appreciated. :please:

• I heard that starting with the running gear and suspension (as per the instructions) is a bad idea, with one guy stating that if he were to repeat the build he'd start with the hull, any thoughts on this?
  • Also heard that the fenders are particularly troublesome, with some modellers deciding to abandon the attempt and others simply not attempting them at all, although I have seen a couple of completed builds that did have them, and there was no mention of any issues.
  • I've gone for the AFV Club aftermarket workable tracks (AF 35183), however one reviewer said this - 'While the assembly is quite straightforward fitting the assembled track runs to the kit idler and drive sprockets is a little problematic. With the front idler wheels the fit is not perfect as the links don't sit flush with the sprocket rim and some trimming may be required. The rear drive sprockets are more of a problem as the links don't fit well at all but as most of the sprocket is hidden from view by the hull panels the easiest method is cutting the teeth from the sprocket where the tracks sit allowing them to fit around the sprockets.' - Anyone else encountered this issue, and if so how best to remedy. I have seen somewhere 3rd party aftermarket idlers/sprockets (lost the link :facepalm:), perhaps these may be a better fit?
  • Are there any other issues I should know about? 

Thanks in advance.

• NobleSavage changed the title to AFV Club Churchill Mk III 1/35 (AF 35153)

I've built three of these and no problems.  I followed instructions and did the suspension units before putting them on the hull.  Just make sure that everything is square.  If it isn't you will struggle later. 

No no issues with fenders either.

i have some of the workable tracks (still building them) so can not comment on the fit (yet)

Tim

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fishbed said:

I've built three of these and no problems.  I followed instructions and did the suspension units before putting them on the hull.  Just make sure that everything is square.  If it isn't you will struggle later. 

No no issues with fenders either.

i have some of the workable tracks (still building them) so can not comment on the fit (yet)

Tim

Good to know, my tracks are yet to arrive and the kit itself is waiting for me on my desk.

While searching for info on this kit I stumbled upon an interesting build blog, which in all honestly left me feeling quite depressed :suicide:

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=221479&ord=&page=1

Be not afeared.

This was on Britmodeller in 2010:

It works. Well, it worked for me.

I painted with a brush as I went and cleaned the joints before gluing.

Tedious, but building Takom Mk V tracks was worse...... 

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sanguin said:

Be not afeared.

This was on Britmodeller in 2010:

It works. Well, it worked for me.

I painted with a brush as I went and cleaned the joints before gluing.

Tedious, but building Takom Mk V tracks was worse...... 

John

Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for, today's the day I tackle the suspension so timing could not have been better :thanks:

• 5 years later...

How did you get on? I've asked Santa for the AFV kit for Christmas and have gone for the track upgrade. I know this is an old blog but, if you read it, I'd love to know how you got on. 

Watto.