Wingnut Wings 1/32 Bristol F.2b Sunbeam Arab - FINISHED (at last)!!

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job on the prop, but couldn't you have just turned the kit prop over, since you had already drilled the hub out?

Ian

That is a VERY good point - I had thought so too (it's why I drilled the hub out) - but no: although it would have given me the correct rotation, it meant that the 'top' blade (with the prop orientated vertically) had its chord facing (roughly) 45 degrees aft, whereas it should be pointing 45 degrees forward. I'll post some photos to show what I mean, but I learnt about props from that: I had previously thought I needed to modify the prop, then thought I'd been an idiot to not just turn it round and finally discovered that I was right (but without really realising it) the first time!!

It's been a learning experience for sure!

As promised, here is hopefully an explanation of the propeller, using my new-found knowledge. First off a shot of a 37 TDS Arab-Fighter's propeller:

And now a comparison of the kit propeller (correct orientation) alongside the modified one:

And finally how the kit prop looks if you flip it over:

Two main things to note: (1) the 'up-facing' blade on the kit prop is 'down' on the modified one, and (2) by flipping over the kit prop, you have the flat (aft face) of the prop facing forward, where of course it should be the curved, cambered face of the blade facing forward. So this hopefully proves the difference between 'LH' and 'RH' propellers...

Finally a shot of the boss, which still needs the hole enlarging to get it to sit in a recess. Not quite finished but looking good.

• Like 3

Love your work on this conversion... great attention to detail.

I'll be interested to see your rigging proceed. I am close to getting to rigging on a WNW Camel conversion (to a Comic)...

Matt

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

As promised, here is hopefully an explanation of the propeller, using my new-found knowledge. First off a shot of a 37 TDS Arab-Fighter's propeller:

And now a comparison of the kit propeller (correct orientation) alongside the modified one:

And finally how the kit prop looks if you flip it over:

Two main things to note: (1) the 'up-facing' blade on the kit prop is 'down' on the modified one, and (2) by flipping over the kit prop, you have the flat (aft face) of the prop facing forward, where of course it should be the curved, cambered face of the blade facing forward. So this hopefully proves the difference between 'LH' and 'RH' propellers...

Finally a shot of the boss, which still needs the hole enlarging to get it to sit in a recess. Not quite finished but looking good.

Obvious when you show it like that! Although with a symmetrical prop it would work.

Ian

• Like 1

The last week or so has seen me enjoying the weather and spending the odd day at Fairford. In that time I've seen many novelties, including four different U-2s and a number of superlative arrivals and displays. So not much modelling done, but the project has moved on.

First of all I'm very impressed with the Ventura serial numbers, which i thought would have visible carrier film but don't:

The stripes are intentionally off-white because photos show a contrast between stripes and serial numbers.

Next an attempt to show vague impressions of underlying spars and ribs (maybe too subtle) on the centre section, which needs to be assembled so that the cabane struts etc can be aligned:

Then the struts put on with slow-drying epoxy to get it all aligned:

And finally the centre sections dry-fitted to get it all aligned and make sure everything is square. Next step will be rigging the bits that will be difficult to access with the outer wings installed. And yes, the leather pilot's cockpit surround does still need painting (I keep forgetting to do it).

• Like 6

Making up a bit for lost time, I finally managed to get some washes on and highlight the detail. Still need to add a few bits and paint that leather coaming!

Also washed the aft fuselage markings to give a streaked effect: this not only tones down the off-white a bit more but also (hopefully) depicts the effects of rain, mildew and paint degradation...

Then the same thing for the lower centre section and landing gear: all paints are Mr Color, sprayed.

And then the centre section mounted and rigged. I have to say that rigging this part was near-impossible because both ends of the wires are quite inaccessible. A bit like trying to thread a needle through your letterbox. Managed it in the end, but I'd imagine that one operation was one of the most difficult modelling tasks I've done in 40+ years of modelling. Thankfully, Bob's Buckles and Uschi van der Rosten rigging material covered up my ham-fistedness. I still need to trim the loose ends but will wait for a while until I have a steady hand: no mistakes and certainly no repeats!

Next it was on with the landing gear and a bit more rigging. Because access was a great deal easier, this job was a real pleasure and confirmed my initial test impressions.

Then I added the final loose items on the forward fuselage: filler cap, windscreen, spent shell collector box and trailing aerial. There are still a few bits to add to the upper centre section (plus a bit more rigging) and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the rigging which should  be a lot easier.

And these are the final bits to paint and/or wash/weather and attach before I get on to the outer wings and final markings.

• Like 5

I've decided to take a few weeks' break from modelling and so this will likely be the last post for a while: I think I'm getting to the point where I'm rushing to finish it, and that's not what it's all about. So hopefully a while doing other stuff will recharge the batteries. 

Anyway, I have managed to do a few odd jobs and get to a nice milestone, with not much more to do. First of all I painted the exhausts, using the same technique as for the headers, but using Mr Color Hull Red as the base, with Mr Color Steel sprayed over it. I then airbrushed some black sooty bits at the end of each exhaust pipe.

Then it was a case of attaching lots of odds & ends, rigging the top centre section and time for a few photos. 

A few items to point out, which seem to be unique to the Arab-engined F.2b: (1) those 'hoops' on the top of the upper centre section: no idea what they are for, but maybe linked to (2) the two curved (tubes?), which come down from the top centre section each side (RH one is largely obscured by the camera gun), and go into each side of the main fuel tank - fuel vents maybe? And finally (3), there are two empty brackets, fore and aft of the underside of the top centre section (black rings just visible aft of the top propeller blade), which is where the Aldis sight was mounted, but not fitted on training machines with the camera gun (camera gun is mounted on the RH/stbd side cabane struts).

There are a few jobs to do before I get on to the wings, notably (a) paint the brass ignition switch (below cockpit on LH/port side) and add a switch toggle (b) fit rudder and elevators and rig tail & controls; and (c) touch-up/wash last few items.

But finally it's on its wheels and looking like it was meant to do!

• Like 7

She's looking fantastic!

Take the break you need, we're not going anywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished off when you return!

Ian

• Like 1

Super skills on display , great choice of aircraft ,and a brave conversion, looking at what you've done so far I'm looking forward to this  ,as steady as you like  ,most impressive up to yet

Glynn

• Like 1

Totally agree that you need a break if you feel that you are rushing it. That is the time when mistakes are made and unintended consequences follow. I for one will be here when it is finished and am patiently looking forward to the day.

P

What a nice work!! Really a gorgeous!!

I've been thinking to do a Wingnut Wing ...  i love all these clean details .. but when you see your workbench, you realize the huge amount of work that you need. 

Yes, with this kind of project sometime you need a break .. it's always positive! 

much encouragement ... it's almost finished! 

• 3 weeks later...

Back on it - we decided to have a proper holiday and go away for a bit: been back for a week or so but only now managed to pick up the F.2b again. Main job is to complete rigging the fuselage, and then it will be 'only' the wings to do.

So just a small update today. It was on with the 10x magnifying glasses to drill the elevators for wire hinge attachments. Though they look like beefy rods, those metal hinge attachments are 0.1mm copper wire from an electrical cable :worry:.

I also drilled the elevator bellcranks in readiness for the rigging lines, but since my camera couldn't catch the 0.1mm holes, I put a piece of copper wire through the bellcrank to prove it! So far I've broken three, 0.1mm drills doing these holes but I guess that's not a bad outcome when ham-fisted meets dainty.

And finally the tail section with the elevators trial-fitted and a bit more rigging done. A very satisfying job, though it does take a while:

• Like 5

I've just caught up with this from ages ago, and....bloody hell!!  M A G N I F I C E N T ! ! !

When you take ability, research and craftsmanship, wield them all with equal dexterity: This is what you get.

My hat is off to you, and "Huzzars!" are being shouted.

Jonners, looking forward to more.

Edited by Jon Kunac-Tabinor
I cant spell!
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I've just caught up with this from ages ago, and....bloody hell!!  M A G N I F I C E N T ! ! !

When you take ability, research and craftsmanship, wield them all with equal dexterity: This is what you get.

My hat is off to you, and "Huzzars!" are being shouted.

Jonners, looking forward to more.

Many thanks: I'm really happy with how it's going/gone and I haven't dropped it yet either!

Finally - I think - the fuselage is finished, bar a few paint touch-ups etc. Incredibly, despite visually not being much further forward, it's taken a good few evenings of work to complete the rigging and add the rudder etc. Thankfully, Ventura came up trumps with a set of appropriate-style white-bordered black numerals for the repeated serial number on the rudder. Unfortunately the sheet didn't contain an 'E' (it's aimed at J and K-prefix 1920s aircraft), so I had to create two, by using the centre part of a '1', then the top of a '5', the bottom of a '2' (!) and the end of the figure '1'. It seems a lot of effort but Ventura's decals are so thin that you'd be hard pressed to notice that each letter is made up of four parts. Or at least I hope so.

Serials applied, rudder fitted and rigging done!

And an overall view of the fuselage. I also added the observer's machine gun mounting and a few other final bits.

So wings next. Thanks for looking in ;)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly done but I keep thinking of things!

Anyway, wings are painted, and here with decals done and masked for doing the rib tapes:

Managed to spray on some light coats of Mr Color black, thinned with about 90% thinners.I'm OK with all except the stbd/right top wing, where it's a bit over-done around the roundel: I will be redoing that bit! Note that I've also cut out a slot in each wing root of the upper wings: those are to clear the metal rods I put through the top centre section to show those looped rods/tubes peculiar to the Arab F.2b (upper surface), as well as the two tubes which curve down from the lower surface and into the fuel tank. The slot in the lower wings is as per the kit, and designed to clear the landing gear struts, which pass through the lower centre wing section.

More soon: I can almost see the finish line. :)

• Like 2