'Nam Flashbacks - F-105D & F-4E

For no particular reason, I've been attempting a few Vietnam-era SEA camouflage schemes over the last month - these were both cheapy "dirty bag of plastic" kits (costing £1 and £5 respectively) from a model show  that needed rescuing and were ideal for some experimentation.  I think my light green is a little too vibrant and the tan too light, although it looks better in real life than it does on the camera.  

wp96f0035d_05_06.jpg

They're both old Hasegawa kits, although I believe that the Thunderchief originally came in a FROG box.  Decals for the F-105d are from Print Scale (MiG Eaters) and for the F-4, they are as supplied with the kit.

F-105D Thunderchief - Memphis Belle II, 357 TFS, 355th TFW, Takhli Royal Thai Air Base,  Thailand, 1970

This is really a very crude kit, although it has commendably sharp edges to its flying surfaces!  

wp0d2919d2_05_06.jpg

wp75b7a9c3_05_06.jpg

wpfd934835_05_06.jpg

wp736e527a_05_06.jpg

wp0ec16fa2_05_06.jpg

F-4E Phantom II 469 TFS, 388th TFW, Royal Thai Air Base, Korat Thailand, 1969.

This is a better kit although still very basic in detail. Mine came with a full weapons load, which more recent issues do not.

wp52b70166_05_06.jpg

wp30502c27_05_06.jpg

wpbb17f24c_05_06.jpg

wp914452ea_05_06.jpg

wp895f303a_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
Images moved from Photobucket
  • Like 22

9 hours ago, gengriz said:

F-4E Phantom II 469 TFS, 388th TFW, Royal Thai Air Base, Korat Thailand, 1969.

This is a better kit although still very basic in detail. Mine came with a full weapons load, which more recent issues do not.

Hi Fred,

I also agree with the comments above  – well worth the effort! 

Funnily enough, I just bought an old Hasegawa F4-E for $2 at a swap meet, so you've given me hope. My old kit also has lots of weapon choices, but no decals. Did your's have subtle, raised panel lines too? Do you mind me asking if there were any problems with putting that kit together?

Sorry I can't comment on the hue of your light green – I don't know about the "correct" shades for SEA camouflage (although I'll need to come up with something for my Phantom).

Regards,

David 

Edited by Dazey

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Hi Fred,

I also agree with the comments above  – well worth the effort! 

Funnily enough, I just bought an old Hasegawa F4-E for $2 at a swap meet, so you've given me hope. My old kit also has lots of weapon choices, but no decals. Did your's have subtle, raised panel lines too? Do you mind me asking if there were any problems with putting that kit together?

Sorry I can't comment on the hue of your light green – I don't know about the "correct" shades for SEA camouflage (although I'll need to come up with something for my Phantom).

Regards,

David 

David, only issue I had was a big gap between fuselage and wing top surface. I put a bit of sprue inside as a spreader bar and the problem disappeared. The ejector seats are very poor so I added some spree details, and the suggested bomb load in the instructions isn't correct. Otherwise, its not a bad kit, much better than the F-105.

FredT

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gengriz said:

spreader bar and the problem disappeared. The ejector seats are very poor so I added some spree details, and the suggested bomb load in the instructions isn't correct. Otherwise, its not a bad kit, much better than the F-105.

FredT

Hi FredT,

Thanks for the advice – I'll have to do some homework on the bomb load etc.

Regards,

David

A great looking pair.  If that F-105 kit goes all the way back to a Frog release then you've done a fantastic job as it looks bang up to date to me.  Seeing the two side by side you really get an idea of just how big the Thunderchief is, as the F-4 is hardly a lightweight!  Anyway, just goes to show what can be achieved from a sad, forgotten bag of plastic picked up for a quid!