RLM colours other than Vallejo Air

Lawzer

Hi folks,

probably my own fault but I just cannot get on with the Vallejo Air paints I've got (even when thinned it refuses to spray out of my cheapo airbrush)......

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative (for RLM colours without the need to mix 2 colours AND must be acrylic)?

BTW, keep your eye on the "free to a good home" section for some soon to be added paints;)

Cheers

Ian

Xtracrylix from Hannants do a range of RLM colours.

They’re a bit Marmite amongst modellers, but I think they’re great.

Although if you’re having trouble airbrushing VallejoAir, I’m not sure what to suggest. Vallejo Air is usually pretty easy to use straight out of the bottle. Sure it’s not your airbrush?

Mart

• Like 1

Just now, LotusArenco said:

Xtracrylix from Hannants do a range of RLM colours.

They’re a bit Marmite amongst modellers, but I think they’re great.

Although if you’re having trouble airbrushing VallejoAir, I’m not sure what to suggest. Vallejo Air is usually pretty easy to use straight out of the bottle. Sure it’s not your airbrush?

Mart

It could well be.

However it sprays tamiya acrylics perfectly every time (to start with thinned with water but now with proper tamiya thinners).

The Vallejo Air is thinned with proper Vallejo thinner and I don't know why it doesn't want to play nicely....bottle is vigorously shaken for a minute or 2.  The very first time I used it, it worked fine.  Every time after that no go.

Actually going by that logic it would seem to point to the airbrush but I can't afford to get another one.

I'd seen the xtracrylic range - didn't know that you either love 'em or hate 'em though :)

6 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Are you in the Aberdeen Modellers' Society Ian?

Not yet - I had thought of joining but life gets in the way :)

55 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Hi folks,

probably my own fault but I just cannot get on with the Vallejo Air paints I've got (even when thinned it refuses to spray out of my cheapo airbrush)......

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative (for RLM colours without the need to mix 2 colours AND must be acrylic)?

BTW, keep your eye on the "free to a good home" section for some soon to be added paints;)

Cheers

Ian

Gunze do a full range of RLM colours apart from 72/73 and 77. You can choose from their Aqueous line which is very similar to Tamiya acrylic. I'd say these paints are one of the best out of the bottle for RLM paint.

Others I'd recommend but are lacquer based are Mr Color and Mr Paint but both of those fall out of your requirements. 

• Like 1

Ian nothing wrong with Model Air so it must be your equipment or how you go about it.

First you need an air brush which has a .35 or larger needle nozzle.

Then use Vallejo Flow Improver. With this combination you will have success.

Laurie

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Ian nothing wrong with Model Air so it must be your equipment or how you go about it.

First you need an air brush which has a .35 or larger needle nozzle.

Then use Vallejo Flow Improver. With this combination you will have success.

Laurie

Flow improver?  This stuff?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Improver-Airbrush-Model-Bottle/dp/B00QD780G0

God damn it - I bought airbrush CLEANER :(  I'll get my coat.......

The airbrush I have if I remember right is a .3 nozzle.

Like I said I can't afford a new airbrush so I either spend a few quid on a small bottle of the flow improver or new paint (which will no doubt need it's own thinner).....

However I'm still at a loss as to why it worked fine the first time I used the paint.

Edited by Lawzer

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Flow improver?  This stuff?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Improver-Airbrush-Model-Bottle/dp/B00QD780G0

God damn it - I bought airbrush CLEANER :(  I'll get my coat.......

The airbrush I have if I remember right is a .3 nozzle.

Like I said I can't afford a new airbrush so I either spend a few quid on a small bottle of the flow improver or new paint (which will no doubt need it's own thinner).....

However I'm still at a loss as to why it worked fine the first time I used the paint.

That is the stuff Ian.  No it is a stand alone no thinner. I use it for effects with a very thin paint 50% paint 50% flow improver.

Not familiar with your airbrush but with luck and a little more flow improver than Vallejo suggest all will, with luck, be OK

As with all the paints in a range some colours work better than others. Just though make sure the nozzle is as clean as a whistle.

With light on a white paper look in the back of the nozzle pointing to the white paper and you will see, if clean, a lovely clean orifice.

Tamiya is a very nice paint and certainly will go through a .3 needle/nozzle. But Tamiya needs at least 25% thinning with Tamiya

X-20A thinner to get results which are good. Tamiya does have restrictions as their colour range is very limited.

Laurie

• Like 1

I've ordered a small bottle to see if it remedies the problem.  Will certainly be the chepaest option as I bought a fair few Vallejo colours :)

Thinking about this - the first time I used the paint was early February.  Now the latest "attempt" was Saturday which where I live was the hottest day of the year so far.  Would temperature have anthing to do with it?

8 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Thinking about this - the first time I used the paint was early February.  Now the latest "attempt" was Saturday which where I live was the hottest day of the year so far.  Would temperature have anthing to do with it?

Yes very much so Ian. There is a Vallejo retarder. Not had to use it myself. It stops the paint

going of to quickly. Keep the paint in a cool place. Not the refrigerator please :lalala:

I think, hope, the Flow stuff will help enormously. Certainly made a difference with me using

Model Air. By the way put a drop of Flow in the bottom of the cup before the paint.

On cleaning after you finish just keep a drop of cleaner in the bottom of the cup. You will hear

a squelch noise as it begins to empty. Stop on the squelch. :tired:

Laurie

• Like 1

I leave either tamiya thinner or water in the airbrush (now the vallejo cleaner) and the paint IS left kind of in the sun.

this might explain a lot!! In the words of homer simpson - d'oh!!

Edited by Lawzer

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I leave either tamiya thinner or water in the airbrush (now the vallejo cleaner) and the paint IS left kind of in the sun.

this might explain a lot!! In the words of homer simpson - d'oh!!

Phew Ian. I like your German Shepherd.  In between Labradors we had a GS.

Incredible dog. Protective, loving, funny and at times annoying. Biting the front wheel while mowing the lawn.

Coral the window cleaner up his ladder. Trying to bite snow.

Sad at 8 years it died of a brain tumour.  A very sad day in my life.

Laurie