Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

Hello Ced, looks very well and promising. Touch ups are always awful ( I can tell you, especially with an old worn out colour on diecast). A bit here and there and once again and suddenly it match. Just try and error. And try again. Some rules of course (and.....denied sometimes and then kicked up in your as* immediately) , but no wise book on that. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Yorkshireman said:

Hey Ced, looking great :smile:

One day might try the painting of decals thingy, just need to convince myself the wife I need a circular cutter........... one day !!!!

You do need a cutter and they are cheap. Do what I do when I need a tool, just go and buy it. Mrs Yorkshireman, he needs one now. There you are sorted!

Martian

PS: Did I say I offer courses in relationship counselling?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

No progress today, sorry chaps - buying a new lawnmower and then finishing the leftovers from Mrs B's lunch here with the Ladies. Yum!!

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes Keith I mean the massive overspray on the upper main planes

Confused? Not me.  😁

Yer Bill, 'ere's the masking on the wings:

35634526003_f0a4a51958_z.jpg

Twas done? :confused: 

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'A modeller of whom we're aware

Painted roundels on just for a dare,

Though his spray was excessive

His humour transgressive

Ensured a fnaar fnaar fnaar - so there!'

Great verse Oh Baronial one (He's a poet and he know it!) :D 

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh well Ced, we live and learn as we grow older.

Over-spray can be a nightmare, especially if it is a small touch up FNAR.

I have used cling film or sandwich bags at times to cover large areas.

Still kudos to you for the hand made masks Ced.

BTW where did you get the cutter from ?

Simon.

Thanks Simon. :) The big cutter is the Modelcraft one, cheap as chips (if you buy £5 worth). The Flex-i-File Super Cutting Compass was from eModels for £15.25 but I can't find it on their site now, sorry! :) 

7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

One of my favourite episodes of HHH today on Radio4 Extra, the one with the threatening letters.

The roundels do look good but you haven't convinced me to it yet.

John

Thanks John :) I'll try harder - it's worth it!

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

After all is said and done, they turned out way better than decals Ced!

I quit using using a white base for roundel painting because of those dreaded 'rings' that always seem to result. I've starting doing the opposite of the generally recommended order: I paint the darkest color first and end with white (blue then red then yellow then white), and things have gone much better.

Although, it looks like I did yellow last on this one, for the convenience of masking off the leading edge stripes at the same time.

Thanks Cookie :) I must admit I wondered why I was spraying the white - next time I won't bother, thanks for the tip.

Hey Rob - good to see you here and glad you've caught up :D 

Thanks Benedikt, PBS, Jon and Martian :) 

Thanks PC - yes, weathering, my excuse for most mistakes :D 

Tomorrow I'm off on another 'treasure hunt', this time for Jewels (apparently).

By the way, we won a cheese on the last one to be split 50/50 with my mate.... I'll let you know what it's like!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Thanks Giorgio, Keith, Martian, Michael, John, Tony and Johnny - all very kind :) 

Thanks Cookie - it's thanks to you that I even started this route and, as you can see below, I still need to try harder! :) 

Next stage, re-insert the red mask, THEN remove the blue, again burnishing well especially the panel lines. Then you can unmask the red:

35611502044_4bcac7e65c_n.jpg 36400906256_2a172907dd_n.jpg

Not bad. Spray the blue, wait a bit then OFF with the masks:

36278639392_f84d72cde3_z.jpg

Hello Ced, I think you'll have spotted this, but what Bill is mentioning isn't the bits within the roundels that you've touched up; it's the white overspray on the wings themselves beyond the edges of the yellow masks that you put down.

There's white to the left of the masking on the wing at the bottom of the photo above. White both sides of the masking you did on the wing at the top of the photo.

In all honesty it's an effect I was trying to get for winter white distemper camouflage on a Soviet LaGG three last year. I guess a white distemper Halifax would look quite nice :whistle: 

:winkgrin:

I fell for Captain Overspray so many times last year, drove myself nuts getting red overspray from masked stripes onto light blue :(.

I think it was Mr. @The Spadgent that gave me the tip to use cling film. I had been using kitchen towel; terrible. Not only did it blow off due to the airbrush, it left microscopic flecks of paper on the surface of the model. Not good for painting over :dunce: 

For your purposes; mask off with your rather nice home made yellow masks etc, but then cling film way beyond it each side right over the whole wing. Captain Overspray will be defeated.

Have they finally given you your cheese prize? I hope it's a big cheese after all this time, especially given that it has to be halved 🧀 🐭.

Good luck with the jewels.

Remember; all that sparkles isn't cheese 👍🏼.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OMG! (As the youngsters say...)

I've been so focused on the roundels I honestly hadn't seen that... I can see it in the photos now AND, surprise surprise, on the model if I hold the wing at certain angles...

@perdu - Bill, HUGE apologies, grovel grovel... you were, of course, right and I'm sorry I didn't see it. As PC says I'll call it 'weathering' as in most lights it's hardly visible:

36429613786_eafca69f7d_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Thanks TT for putting me straight, appreciated :) 

I do have some of that Tamiya masking sheet so I'll try to remember to use it in the future!

• Like 10

Ced  you could try rubbing the over spray with a piece of kitchen towel which will often whizz off much loose over spray

Even lifting it off with selotape can work on acrylics, cos they have a looser grip on the model than enamels

And we ALL do it, miss the obvious that is

Don't go unnecessarily apologising all over the place

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You do need a cutter and they are cheap. Do what I do when I need a tool, just go and buy it. Mrs Yorkshireman, he needs one now. There you are sorted!

Martian

PS: Did I say I offer courses in relationship counselling?

Luckily she's at work, I'm at home.....what can I say.....just ordered one !!!!!

Haha......you'd soon give up if you tried counselling Mrs Y !!!!!!!

Jon

• Like 4

Thanks Bill :) I did have a go at it with Micromesh but (duh) it's sealed in with Klear - ho hum, weathering will sort it!

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

He can't help it.  He's British.

Quite right dear boy, quite right :D 

Thanks Keith - the ceiling hides all my sins! :) 

Thanks Jon - good move on the cutter. Quick tip - don't press too hard, just twizzle it (technical term) around gently a few times otherwise you run the risk of it 'digging in' and not completing a perfect circle (ask me how I know) :) 

Thanks Giorgio - he's weakening, I know it! :) 

Jewel hunt completed this morning and a quick lunch. Home to play with the new mower; the lawn doesn't know what's hit it, twice in one week! Then a mojo draining job fitting the pilot light lens back in the oven. The clips inside have become brittle and broken. Rubbish design, fiddly job, CA to the rescue! There will be wine later...

Half a cheese arrived this morning:

36434112116_d35fa3d781_z.jpg

Teaspoon for scale. Despite worries and Chinese restaurant jokes it's not too rubbery...

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, The Yorkshireman said:

Luckily she's at work, I'm at home.....what can I say.....just ordered one !!!!!

Haha......you'd soon give up if you tried counselling Mrs Y !!!!!!!

Jon

Ok, in that case you need the special disobedience course that I offer!

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Phew. Thought I was the only one that noticed the overspray. :huh: hopefully if you do some other weathering over the top it'll vanish completely.:poke:

sorry couldn't resist. :hobbyhorse:

great looking roundels though, something I've never done. Bravo sir.:goodjob:

Johnny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ced That looks fine by now.

As you are somekind of a tool nerd, I bought a little supersonic cleaning unit for my little ones , which I don't like to open. This works great ( a bit careful with metal finished things) and also for my far sighted glasses etc. It was  a reduced one by Aldi and I just had to try for 15 €. If you can get one, grab one for some interlude after sanding clear parts, cleaning metal things or tools, your electrical shaver, CD's etc. Just get yourself one. Better than me with an old toothbrush in a tin of soup or dish cleaner. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ced, use the circle cutter backwards. The blade wants to go straight if used the correct way. Rotate it backwards and it will scribe a perfect circle!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Half a cheese arrived this morning:

........Despite worries and Chinese restaurant jokes it's not too rubbery...

Oh my.  Now that one threw me for a moment :)  (it is still early and I've yet to have a coffee) I had to go all the way back to page 12 to remind myself of the context for that one.  I never thought I'd be searching for 'cheese' on BM. Keep up at the back.....

Gotta love a Ced thread :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Martian - disobedience course? Not required for me! :ner:

Thanks Bill - NOT the blurgletrunchy thingmy! Oh no! :D 

Thanks Johnny - weathering WILL cover the overspray, just don't look too closely :) 

Thanks Benedikt - I have one of those ultrasonic cleaners but it's packed away under the bench and I keep forgetting it. Time for a 'deep clean' soon! :) 

Thanks Ian - use the cutter backwards? Don't you have to look over your shoulder if you do that? Oh no, wait, rotate it backwards, got it. Worth a try :) 

Thanks Steve - yes, keep up old boy, keep up! :D 

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Heel erg bedankt Crisp (with thanks to Google translate) :) 

Scary bit:

36450184116_020f000721_z.jpg

While that's drying (for half an hour or more) on with the sticky up bits on the fuselage:

36100331070_3cfdd71eb0_z.jpg

With some CA blobbed on the bottom (fnarr!) to, hopefully, strengthen it for the aerial wire later:

36360080101_906f87d778_z.jpg

I would have liked to have strenthendjed that with some wire but it's on the canopy and I'm scared it'll show in the cockpit :shutup: 

Time to touch up the bits on the bottom (titter) with some flat black:

36360304531_158ba598e4_z.jpg

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Wings washed off (lick paper towel and rub most of it off on your hand; official instructions from Flory, honest):

36101114170_fa25e51612_z.jpg

Subtle exhaust stains with pastels (very subtle, I know).

Props on. Mig Stone Grey wash on the black bits.

Ready for matt coat when it's dried a bit:

36330124332_8ce2160588_z.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Ced. Great work so far. 

Sticking the wings on after painting scares the bejeebers out of me so kudos to you for that. Not wanting to jinx anything, (honest im just interested...) I assume you test fitted first to check for any gappage?