Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
CedB

Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

463 posts in this topic
9 hours ago, CedB said:

Paul A H's model and it looks really good but still has a little gap with the Freightdog radiators (just visible in the third photo).

I don't know Halibag's at all well Ced, but might there be a panel line there on the real thing?

I have no doubt you'll get that close! :)

Keith

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The thinners was so ludicrously, wantonly, pleasurably inflammable.

40 foot white flames when poured on a bonfire 🔥 🔥 :heart: .

I can't believe that the judge reacted well to this in your opening statement Tony.

3 people like this

Thanks Keith - I'm sure you're right and I'm sure there'll be one on mine! :) 

Thanks Tony - I know... TT obviously is a bit of a piro pyrow fire fan eh?

Brace yourselves. Choose your weapons. Riffler files? Sanding sticks? Nah, something with POWER required so out with the dental burrs. This nice router-like thing should do it:

36111460196_a35f73ce09_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Damp brush for clean up. I find you need to use the Dremel (with flex-drive) on a low setting for this otherwise the burrs melt the plastic and create dents. Get a firm grip on both parts too (fnaar!)

The task is to remove the step all around the resin and blend it in:

35310353684_e9a67d7b00_z.jpg

All done!

35310871334_780142a233_z.jpg

We'll get some close ups later I'll bet :) 

6 people like this

Ced: the gunky condition of this aircraft paradoxically seems to display the relevant panel lines around the front of the engines rather well:

Handley%20Page%20Halifax%20B%20Mark%20II

Image credit Duggy009

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I can't believe that the judge reacted well to this in your opening statement Tony.

Ced: the gunky condition of this aircraft paradoxically seems to display the relevant panel lines around the front of the engines rather well:

Handley%20Page%20Halifax%20B%20Mark%20II

Image credit Duggy009

Now that would be a nice weathering project 👍🏼.

It looks there are mesh (filters?) on those nacelle side intakes too. I'm still learning about Halibags, apologies for poor knowledge of correct terminology. What unusual shaped exhausts in that photo!

A really good job done on fairing those in Ced; right tool for the job!

Best regards

TonyT

(Out of likes again).

PS: Tony; the Judge was more understanding when I explained that I was just trying to warm up the old people's home 🔥 🔥 :).

3 people like this

Thanks Tony (TheBaron) - now that's what I call a timely photo - thanks very much! :) (See below) 

Thanks TT - too dirty that, even for me (fnaar!) I've bought the Quickboost 'type B' exhausts because, yes, they're weird aren't they?

These little bits fit, sometimes:

36017937571_94a874b357_n.jpg 35344398543_b757998f3c_n.jpg

They're too tiny to sand off the model so they'll get some attention when the CA is dry. The top intakes go on with a bit of a gap (of course):

35311900724_51caf4879c_z.jpg

Then it's on to these little bug swin parts:

35760624720_cacda8d160_z.jpg

No mesh in there TT, sorry. How to fit a flat intake on a round nacelle... Tony's image shows that they're vertical on a flat bit, not on a curve. Hmmm. This isn't right then?

35344596193_8c99ff1ebe_z.jpg

which means they need to go 'up a bit' and the holes in the nacelle need filling.

Perhaps this time the Milliput mix won't be too much!

5 people like this

Just trying this new-fangled photo sharing thingy out. Never had any props with PB!

20374263_491105234568007_9105106152820401350_n

5 people like this

Coming on nicely Ced,

I`m looking forward to following the rest of this build mate.

For the upper intakes on the inner engines, which you have pictured here;

35311900724_51caf4879c_z.jpg

I found on mine that it was better to sand the top of the nacelle flat where the resin intake goes,.....just draw around the resin part, remove it and then sand the area flat,....it fits much better then! Sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs,....I just found it easier that way,

Cheers

Tony

4 people like this

The mis-match between the resin and plastic is looking less obvious now, have you been scraping the plastics back to give a more 'hollow cheeked ' look?

John

PS panic over on the iPlayer front, I've just registered using my ISP address which is .com rather than .fr and it worked. 

1 person likes this

This is tricky stuff Ced, as usual you're showing great tenacity and winning :thumbsup2: 

I'm probably wrong, but, Looking at chaddy's photograph;

Is it possible that the small side vents go a little further away from the bottom edge of the cowl; i.e. closer to the wing on the flatter part of the cowl side?

It's hard to put into words.

I'm comparing where the vent is on the port outer nacelle (in chaddy's photo) to where it is placed in the last photo of your last post.

I don't know if this clip from my 70's 'Wings' magazine is useful:

IMG_9988.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

2 people like this

15 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I don't know if this clip from my 70's 'Wings' magazine is useful...

...thereby comprehensively vindicating the default modeller position of never throwing anything away!  My wife doesn't really get this; 'but you've read all those magazines, so why do you keep so many?"  Your use of a magazine that had clearly been retained for over 40 years is exemplary; I salute you!

2 people like this

More timely photos - thanks chaps! :) 

Thanks Tony (OT) - good tip! I had filed the nacelle flat but not, sadly, the bottom of the chopped off resin. Rats. A bit of Milliput will sort the small gap later and, from what I can see in photos, I need to blend in the back too.

Thanks John - yes, I did grind down the plastic so that the curves were 'even' with the resin. Glad you've sorted out iPlayer too - I'd hate you to miss any of the oldies :) 

Thanks chaddy and TT for the photos. Using this I positioned the intakes thus:

35987325432_a251735de9_z.jpg

36116128456_ab6e673768_z.jpg

Happy with those (as far as they go) and, thankfully, that's the end of the resin bits on the nacelles. There will be some Milliput action soon.

1 person likes this

Nice resiny bits Ced! Did you get a pic of the kit nacelles next to the resin ones so we can see just how bad they were?

Ian