Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

'70 Years of Friendship'. Only sends half the cheese....:hmmm:

Your externals are looking most soiled Ced, in the nicest possible way.:clap2:

Is it too early to enquire about your next candidate for the ceiling after this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Antb said:

Sticking the wings on after painting scares the bejeebers out of me so kudos to you for that. Not wanting to jinx anything, (honest im just interested...) I assume you test fitted first to check for any gappage? 

Thanks Ant - yes, checked for gappage before deciding to paint separately, encouraged by Joe's (Fatboydim's) assembly methods. The wings are on now and, to be honest, I should have checked again and removed any paint etc but the fit is really good on this kit :) 

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I never seen no over spray nor nuffink I never

I'm a good boy me

Looking very purposeful now Ced

Thanks Bill :) 

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The subtle exhaust staining looks just right to me Ced, but what happened to the trailing edge behind the port inner engine?

John

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ditto on what John said Ced, I was about to ask the same when I noticed his post. Is it a bit of pooling of the Flory muck that you haven't cleaned off?

Keith

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello as above. Too much for me or just forgotten?

Thanks John, Keith and Benedikt :) What? Where? That was intentional, honest, although now I don't know why... the wash rubs off really easily so it wasn't missed. i thought it would look good.

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking good Ced and some excellent double entendres there as well!

Martian

Thanks Martian :) 

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Fine going Ced, she looks rather spiffing there.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'70 Years of Friendship'. Only sends half the cheese....:hmmm:

Your externals are looking most soiled Ced, in the nicest possible way.:clap2:

Is it too early to enquire about your next candidate for the ceiling after this?

Thanks Tony :) I did the hunt with a mate and, as I didn't win, he kindly shared his prize.

My next candidate is possibly the main reason why the Halibag has lost my love... I've had this planned as my next build for some time but disciplined myself to build something from the bottom of the stash first - never a good idea. Especially as I've had this as my desktop picture for a while:

36462798036_c9b5ce7558_z.jpg

I found this image on pprune while doing research - the original post is on PB and now lost so apologies if there's any copyright issues. That said... isn't she lovely?

Poor Halifax. That said it hasn't been a straightforward build and the problems continue...

Ready for matt coat? Not quite. Before I do that I should mask the window I had to un-mask for the shark mouth:

36363513991_383a149b6f_z.jpg

If anyone's shouting NOOoooo at this point, too late. Matt coat on, masks off:

36364960381_35993153e7_z.jpg

Those transfers were MicroSol'd down, Klear coated and matt coated and they still fell off. What is it with me and shark mouths? This afternoon I stamped around swearing in a foul mood. This evening after some wine I've mellowed and, if the mood continues, I may try to paint it in the morning - the rest of the de-masking went well and I'm pleased with the canopies.

I think I'll paint some white on now ready for the morning...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Just glue the truculent beggars back on

I ain't gonna tell nobody honest

So

Gently roll the Tamtape off, gently I say

Thin a dollop of suitable cockpit glue to almost water

Gently touch the water onto the sharkybit's location

Add lost decals

Be bloody careful next time

Transfers lift with adhesive tape

Tell me how do you KNOW that?

Next time you can fly solo Skywalker 

• Like 9

Oh poo-poo, I would just try to save them with a drop of clear coat for glue and fix them on the usual place. Be careful to remove them from the masking tape. Good luck

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Ooops! Never mind Ced I bet many of us have done the same, I know I might have, but as I don't have photographic evidence to show the world as you've done, it stays as 'might have '...!! :whistle::D

That Spit photo is v.nice indeed - but I'm wondering if it's a modern recreation, or have the beer barrels been photoshopped on? The quality looks far too good to be original? Is that the next build then?

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

as I didn't win, he kindly shared his prize

He sounds like a top chap.

Not enough cheese gets shared in our narcissistic age so it's heartening to see that your next build is a Spit delivering two drums of best Wookey Hole Stilton. Surely a symbol for the nation to rally behind?

As to 'The Incident at Shark's Mouth', your batting average here Ced leads me to think that you are not an aggressive chap by nature and hence your subconscious is trying to ameliorate any appearance of aviation-based snarling.

'Dr.' Baron...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Decals lifting .... been there, done that (and not only once!! :chair: ) Did I mention I hate decals?

Anyway, the best fixing method I could come up with was brush painting the missing bits...

Ciao

• Like 3

Thanks Bill and Benedikt :) Sadly the transfers did not survive removal from the tape - they were very brittle and just fell to pieces, and then they screwed themselves up and threw themselves in the bin with some very ripe language I have to tell you! Bill I will remember tape and transfers, especially that masking tape also pulls 'em off...

Thanks John - no templates and the sheet isn't good enough to scan. I'm going to (gulp) free hand them :shutup:

Thanks Leon :)

Thanks Keith - I'm happy to share my mistakes as a warning to others... much like my finished builds! :D I think the Spit might be a painting? Can't find anything on the 'net now.

Thanks Tony :) He is a top chap indeed, ace cheese sharer! Thanks also for the session Dr Baron :D 

Thanks Giorgio - painted it was! :) 

First thing this morning:

35680975804_152313e661_z.jpg

DSCN0206 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Note the previous photo of the transfers on the iPhone in the background. Your mission, should you choose to accept it... da da, da da da dah...

Really hard to photograph (honest) especially after a session with the tiny brushes, not breathing when applying the paint:

36347197742_b53e145fdf_z.jpg

36347498502_2ffc7fe3b3_z.jpg

GEFTC (Good Enough for the Ceiling). And that's the best shot I could get of Michael's kindly donated bomb aimer - thanks again Michael. :) 

So, here we are. Probably my longest build and a 29 page WiP. Company sold. Retired. I shall look on this one with many memories...

Oh, do you remember so time ago I saved some packaging from a chocolate fried egg sandwich? Came in really handy to shorten the invisible thread in the photo booth:

35707014633_c6094a5eff_z.jpg

GEFTC but not good enough for an RFI, here are some final shots.

Nothing much to see on the bottom but the top is better...

35707015333_94c0b61416_z.jpg

35680976024_ece24ec130_z.jpg

One of the boys:

35680976774_d94af64811_z.jpg

Shark mouth like and other specific markings:

35680975914_a16a8a8c3a_z.jpg

and some other general shots:

35707014443_5e11198307_z.jpg
35707013943_01438ec646_z.jpg

35680976224_9b67ffa048_z.jpg

35680976644_5cc6005bc3_z.jpg

Thanks as always for your help, support and companionship during this build - really appreciated.

I'll come back and post a link to the Spitfire later.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

I think the Spit might be a painting?

I did wonder, but my eyes were too blurry to tell...!!

And there she is, a cracking Halibag ready to take her place back in the war torn skies over Ced's desk! Great stuff again Ced, lovely finished article and another really fun build thread to get us there!! :thumbsup:

K

• Like 2

Trials and tribs of CedB huh

The end result is an extremely good variation on the 'modelled Halifax' Ced, I love it mate

The Spitfire has the intangible feel of a 'rendering',  that cannot possibly be a real photo of the real thing can it?

Those snark mouth thingies, did you have any pieces of white print-yer-own decal sheet you could have hand painted on to?

I'd have been pooingmeself scared of going in solid on the nose of the model

If you don't have any for in future uses let me know and you can have some of my "too small to print on" mini sheets

• Like 3

Well done Ced!

This has been an epic on the the scale of a Cecil B DeMille production. You've beaten this build into submission and come out on top. Excellent.

• Like 1

Super ced she looks ace! 

Shame about the decals but the Sharkmouth looks really good painted on. 

• Like 2

Thanks Keith - very kind :) 

Thanks Bill - very kind :) I agree I think the picture is rendered... found it on Flightsim.com. Thanks very much for the offer of the white decal sheet - I have some thanks but a great tip.

Thanks Keith, Chaddy, Ant, Simon and Chris for your kind comments too :) 

Thanks Benedikt - not good enough for an RFI IMHO - it's been a bit of a trial and I want to see it done!!

Beer barrel Spitfire WiP started here - come on over!

• Like 1

Splendiferus result there Ced. Makes a mighty addition to your ceiling arsenal. 

Can someone please tell me how it's possible for masking tape to lift decals like that? It defies the laws of physics, and common sense, as they were below two layers of varnish.

• Thanks 1