Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

I hope the W.D is annoyed with itself, paying for bombs that did not work 

And left us all with problems and a bad taste in our mouths

And I'm glad your people found them and can deal with them Benedikt

Keith I don't make big thick black marks but I have been a pencil artist in my time, I just feather the marks across the surface

I've been known to use a 2H to mark panel lines too, though.

Pencils are things of wonder

I was going to ask if any of you have seen my sixinchsecondcuthalro..., but I've just found it in the garage

Obviously taken there by piskies, or maybe when I was crapoxy resinning the port intake on the Bucc

Lifecolour, I know some of you like it but seeing it sitting all sinisterly glistening on the turret

Not sure I could handle that

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Lifecolour, I know some of you like it but seeing it sitting all sinisterly glistening on the turret

It's a hate them or love them, really. Now that I seem to have refined their usage through my airbrush, I tend to prefer them over Tamiya's for the super-smooth finish - except some very particular cases, like spraying insignias through a mask. For brush painting, it's a no brainer (of course this applies to any kind of vinyl based acrylics I tried, such as Italeri, for instance). TBH, I should also mention that I don't use enamels for both the smell and the drying time

Ciao

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I have been a pencil artist in my time

Me too, Bill. Even made some cash out of it at one time, maybe I should dust the old Derwents off, pension could dowith a top up...!! :D

K

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Ruddy hell Ced that was a close one. Paint pool problems, mix match masking mayhem with an excellent end result. Looking forward to the weathering.;):poke:.

looking great though kid. I had a fun catch up. Thanks.

Johnny run around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Me too, Bill. Even made some cash out of it at one time, maybe I should dust the old Derwents off, pension could dowith a top up...!! :D

K

I too have been described as an artist in my time.................oops, wrong sort of artist!

Muddled of Mars

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Thanks Giorgio :)

Thanks Keith - oooh, I've found some 2B leads for my clicky pencil; no sharpening! On the bench now, thanks. Interesting to hear you made some cash out of your art, another string to your bow :) 

Thanks Bill :) Glad you found the file. Don't worry about the turret, it worked out fine after a second coat:

36309440096_d5228859fb_z.jpg

Thanks Giorgio. I do like the Lifecolour, must top up my supplies :) 

Thanks Johnny - I'll have a think about the weathering... not too much I don't think but we'll see :) 

Thanks Martian - I'm with you... the only type of artist I'm likely to be called but I'm not sure it's the wrong sort; we all have our special skills :D 

Tailwheel in and then it was time for transfers. The typically English understated sharks mouth (tee hee) needs a couple of 'lips' and these go dangerously close to the masking:

36307620806_444076afa8_z.jpg

so it had to come off. 'Lips' applied and fiddled with until they were straight(ish):

35516601074_8319e9cfe1_z.jpg

Mrs B arrived home and called me down for coffee and, luckily, I noticed this before I washed my hands:

36215636031_f27ac8540e_z.jpg

Stuck back on and the whole lot on the front coated in Klear to, hopefully, avoid more accidents. 

Other transfers applied and now drying:

35544714253_3dfce3615c_z.jpg

• Like 15

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Pencils are things of wonder

They sure are.  I am definitely no artist (other than in the way Martian suggests...); after all, I spent 15 years as a management consultant, which is essentially talking b*ll*cks for a living (so I was a natural...).  But I do pretty much all my work in pencil.  Biros are an invention of Beelzebub

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Coming to life with transfers on, Ced :clap::clap: looking forward to the weathering stage :Tasty:

Incidentally, it looks like there is a bit of silvering on the code letters, or is it the picture?

Ciao

• Like 1

Pretty inspiring stuff going on here Ced.

The audience is very happy :D!

The camouflage really does look excellent. Glad to hear you're warming to The Lifecolor. Once the initial fight is over, Lifecolor becomes a good chum to have :)

I agree with Giorgio, the Italeri is very similar. Both are good value for money too, there's a lot in those deceptively small looking bottles compared to some other manufacturers. 

The turret frames look, well, like frames! Not like someone's tried to paint on plastic to make frames. There's a big difference and I'm always in the latter category :(. Not you Mr. B!

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

another string to your bow

Unfortunately most of them let go wih a loud twang some time ago...!! :D

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I am definitely no artist

So they'd stopped teaching future Naval Officers how to draw & paint by the time you entered Dartmouth Crisp?! :whistle: I think some of the sketchbooks kept by those (much) earlier guys on their travels around the world fascinating & inspiring. Many of them were really excellent artists.

Keith

• Like 3

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I hope the W.D is annoyed with itself, paying for bombs that did not work 

And left us all with problems and a bad taste in our mouths

And I'm glad your people found them and can deal with them Benedikt

No, not a bad taste someway, when you see how someone ( have had achieved) can achieve so much hate, that the whole world get into a "mad destructing something , ehrr or something like that " or how should I explain. I'm too young for being worried about these things, as I now, that there are reliable people there after all, who try to get these misfits away from the past . And I 'm very glad , that a woman was the "Sprengmeister" here  with two guys, as they are much more alert and careful while dismantling those.

By the the way Ced : Looks great and soon be finished, I guess :goodjob::goodjob: ( Although I would have  liked the clear nose with the Vickers MG more) Cheers.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 6

Looking great Ced. :heart: The turret looks the bomb and the decals are brilliant, love the little shark teeth. 

Not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs especially your good self and as @giemme and @Beard micro sol will now sort it out but cutting around the letters, especially straight ones with a sharp scalpel removing the carry film will remove any pesky silvering troubles in the future. Maybe, if you wanted to that is. :winkgrin:

Johnny bed time.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Crisp - ah, another consultant. I spent many happy days doing that or, as one of my colleagues used to say, as a 'Console-tant' - "Yes, you do have a problem. No, you're not the only one. Yes we can fix it". Happy days. I used a fountain pen though - remember those? :) 

Thanks Giorgio - yes, you're right, silvering dammit - see below :) 

Thanks Simon - good tips. I've yet to try the boiling water and cotton wool technique but I'll certainly give it a try next time :) 

Thanks TT - I've got a bit OCD about frames so I'm trying, hard :) 

Thanks Keith - I know you have lots of strings left :) 

Thanks Benedikt - a clear nose would have been easier I guess, but where's the fun in that? There it is! Should have gone for the easy option!

Thanks Johnny - my thoughts entirely; see below!

So, as the sharp eyed amongst you have noticed, the Xtradecal serials silvered in some places; disappointing. I've tried all the methods before and none of them have worked for me consistently so I've got in to 'if it happens, sort it out' mode. Here's the problem, and my solution:

36186136742_65c8f8cc6c_n.jpg 36217998411_c37851ff4b_n.jpg

Cut it out!

35961201880_d0bea9a462_z.jpg

I've MicroSol'd them as well, to be sure to be sure. I did the Revell roundels as well and they've, er:

35522474194_122dffefae_z.jpg

What do we call that? Crinkled? They may settle down overnight but if not they'll get some boiling water.

I may not be able to do much for the next few days but we're nearly there.

• Like 11

Well there you are. :giles: great work, I've never done it while on the kit. A bit like ironing a shirt on but whatever, it worked.:penguin:

btw, do you not gloss before decals? I'm sure you used to. 

Johnny in bed.

oh and the wrinkles will have vanished by morning. (I'm sure you'll find something filthy in that last comment) :analintruder:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thanks Johnny. Yep, tried gloss, Klear, Micromesh etc etc but I still get silvering sometimes. I always pool something (Klear, DecalFix, MicroSet) and roll the air out with a Tamiya cotton bud. 

I now put it down to the transfers and, being lazy, just sort it out IF it happens. On this one the other side was fine. Go figure.

11 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm sure you'll find something filthy in that last comment

Who me? Never. Butter wouldn't melt in my mouth :wicked: 

• Like 8

I wish my blinking wrinkles would be vanished by tomorrow morning

But taint a gonna happen. 😀

Ced I was a trifle perturbed that you didn't shine before bedding the transfers down, too

I know the finish you got with stylnrez was possibly infectious but there is always Tamiys TS-60 (this may be the wrong number for their Flat Varnish aerosol, but I'm sure a glance along the Tamiya rack will serve) with which to reinstate perfect Matt-ness

Anyway now that hysterical historical interlude is over, well done the Hallibird looks great

By the way, you have a dribble of butter on the edge of your lower lip

Just there...

😇

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just catching up with this while the visitors are still in bed ( lazy bunch, but they are on holiday ) and it is looking good with the decals on.. I'm beginning to change my mind about wanting one now.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

I wish my blinking wrinkles would be vanished by tomorrow morning

But taint a gonna happen. 😀

Thanks Bill - correct!

36318981326_69f2313dfb_z.jpg

only one thing for it - strip 'em off and paint them:

36319071016_69e23cf27b_z.jpg

Says a lot for the Stynylrez and Lifecolour that it didn't lift as well (the small area is where I had to scratch the decal off).

I'll make up some masks and get out the roundel paint.

I'll gloss up next time - I have the Klear so no excuse really.

Thanks Stu, glad you like it :) 

Thanks John - it is a nice kit I think; most of the problems have been caused by my dithering about versions and trying to model while selling a company and retiring. I've 'lost the love' for the subject and that's never a good thing. Hopefully it'll come back soon :) 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

On 04/08/2017 at 03:50, CedB said:

Thanks Keith - oooh, I've found some 2B leads for my clicky pencil; no sharpening!

Ah ha! but you can sharpen them :D: rotate the end of the lead (in the pencil) on a piece of fine-grade sandpaper kept for the purpose (400 - 600 grit) and there you'll have it. Simple. Easy. Fun! And you could use it for pricking transfers :).

Edited by AlexN
Tpsyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ced, I've mentioned it before, and Bill has just mentioned it again, but your paint really doesn't look shiny enough to prevent silvering, to my eyes anyway. I know I'm witching my next build here, but I haven't had any decals, including Xtradecals, silver for years. I always give the model enough coats of Klear to make the surface really glossy - this may take a day or two due to leaving the coats to dry - and then use the ''lay the decals into a fresh coat of Klear and give them another thin brushed on coat when on'' method. It may take longer to do, but saves all the faffing about trying to get rid of silvering! And again as Bill says, quick coat of rattle can or airbrush matt varnish will kill the shine...

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Ah ha1 but you can sharpen them :D: rotate the end of the lefd (in the pencil) on a piece of fine-grade sandpaper kept for the purpose (400 - 600 grit) and there you'll have it. Simple. Easy. Fun! 

Yeh, been there, done that Alex. Easier & more fun for me now is the Derwent battery 'electric' sharpener I've bought but haven't used enough!! Can't pr ick transfers with it though!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1