Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I think you missed a 'fnaar, fnaar' there, Old Bean...!! 

Keith

He did mate.

Still looking good Ced.

Masking mojo won.

Also add a "like"

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All is forgiven though with a wad and a cuppa char from the NAAFI wagon.

Despite multiple changes to my settings (woof woof) my laptop is still without a LIKE button.

(Story of my life really).

So, LIKE to bits of the above.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Despite multiple changes to my settings (woof woof) my laptop is still without a LIKE button.

To get the like button:

1) scroll to the bottom of the page

2) click on the arrow next the 'Theme'

3) select 'Default'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Seems to be settling down now. I found a thread here about the new version and I'm following to track Mike's progress. Getting there.

Thanks Jari for the picture - I'm hoping my masking will be better than that but we shall see, we shall see!

You know how I like to try new things and one thing I've been playing with is Cookie's method of camo painting, using thinned paint and low pressure and building up varying finishes. I thought I'd try it on this one so thinned some Lifecolor 50/50 with Cookie's thinner (q.v.) and set about building up the paint through a 0.2 nozzle at 10psi. It was not a great success:

36161175301_a65ed45ab8_z.jpg

35460074764_61f72ac094_z.jpg

I may have had the paint to thin (although it did clog a couple of times) or been too close. @Cookenbacher any tips? It may be I just don't have the skill...

I bottled out on the fuselage and just blasted it all over at 15psi:

36126712502_2011c5935a_z.jpg

We'll see what it's like when it's dry. Fingers crossed!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

:hmmm: Looks like the paint pooled in some spots. Probably too close, or you didn't wait enough between coats. As Simon says, a good rub down should help. As for controlling Lifecolor paints, in my current build I experimented free hand airbrushing the Italian splotched eggs camo thinning them with IPA (it's actually a commercial cleaning product with 10-15 % of IPA, the rest is water and some perfume) and spraying at around 0.6-0.8 bars (very thinned for small areas, a little thicker for larger surfaces)

HTH

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Does this mean words will soon become redundant?

'Social media' is herding the mob into illiterate and innumerate mindlessness. And it is being done for a specific reason, kids. It's called control.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

On said railway forum the 7 choices have 7 icons & the ''reaction'' when you click on one is simply the display of that icon! 

Perhaps a word to Mike might do the trick? From what I've read on his update announcement thread here, getting all the new stuff fettled nicely is taking a lot of work. Thanks to @Procopius in linked thread for how to get 'likes' back. (Personally, I thought that we were shot of the blasted things at last, but sadly, no - and there's more of the suckers! Aaaargh! They appear to be breeding like rabbits! Where's my shotty?).

Cheers,

Dr Grumpy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've ended up with 'pooled' Lifecolor a few times too Ced. It may still dry smooth overnight (I've had that happen too!) If not, I bet it will still be surprisingly level and just a few swipes of very fine sand paper will sort it out. 

You have remarkably little overspray so the mixture was probably pretty spot on. I think the pooling is probably just where it got a way from you a little bit. I've found that it can be tough with water based paint and the low flow rates required for more delicate work: with the trigger barely pulled back, you get the nice 'mist' type flow you want, but then it tends to plug, and when you pull the trigger back just a bit more - boom - pooling.

I haven't been brave enough to try Lifecolor for freehand camo yet. For that, I've only used Colourcoats - sprays like a dream, lots of control even at low paint flow rates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon and Benedikt - I think I'll do the other colour and give it a rub as you suggest (fnarr!) :) 

Thanks Giorgio - I think you're right; too close, sometimes but it's good to know I've got the pressure about right :) 

Thanks Ian and Simon - hopefully no tears later :D 

Thanks Alex - I'm quite liking the new 'reactions' but I'm wondering if this replaces replies? Doesn't seem very polite to me, but then I'm an Oldie :) 

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've ended up with 'pooled' Lifecolor a few times too Ced. It may still dry smooth overnight (I've had that happen too!) If not, I bet it will still be surprisingly level and just a few swipes of very fine sand paper will sort it out. 

You have remarkably little overspray so the mixture was probably pretty spot on. I think the pooling is probably just where it got a way from you a little bit. I've found that it can be tough with water based paint and the low flow rates required for more delicate work: with the trigger barely pulled back, you get the nice 'mist' type flow you want, but then it tends to plug, and when you pull the trigger back just a bit more - boom - pooling.

I haven't been brave enough to try Lifecolor for freehand camo yet. For that, I've only used Colourcoats - sprays like a dream, lots of control even at low paint flow rates.

Thanks Cookie, really appreciated. You're absolutely right about the plugging and subsequent pooling; I should 'blast' out the plug on the paper then go back to the model and be more patient with the build-up. I'll try that on the next colour. You're also right that it did smooth overnight, at least in some areas:

35497141443_d59eda7976_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nothing a bit of Micromesh won't sort. I like the effect though so I'll persevere :) 

I'm envious of the Colourcoats finishes people are achieving but I'm not yet ready for spraying enamels in 'the Office' - I must get the room reorganised so I can vent the spray booth.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm quite liking the new 'reactions' but I'm wondering if this replaces replies? Doesn't seem very polite to me, but then I'm an Oldie :) 

Don't worry - you'll still get replies from me, sadly - I'm too fond of the sound of my own voice (as my mum used to say). Especially when I have nothing to say - as this forum has found out, to its displeasure.

Right, modelling: (yes, I have heard of it) the waiting-for-the-overnight-subsidence trick of Cookie's seems to have worked well. As you know, I know absolutely nothing about airbrushing, but it looks fine to me - in spots. Not as even as the Stynylrez black primer (yum yum), but good. The real things look so beaten around that yours might in fact look too pristine and factory-fresh ;).

As you say, 'micromesh'. (A relation of Gilgamesh?)

A.

• Like 2

Thanks Alex :)

Today's lesson from the Idiot Modellers Guide is "Always use the same scheme diagram for free-hand and templates". :rage::doh:

36171884191_8b3e065c40_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'd used the Hannants scheme for the freehand and the Revell one for the templates. Idiot.

I'll freehand the green later.

The good news is that the DE coat was much better - more patience, more passes.

Happy with the finish and, as Alex says they weren't 'factory fresh' for long...

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

Thanks Alex - I know, awful eh? Better when it dried though... :) 

Thanks Simon - right, got it :) 

In a rare moment of inspiration I realised that the paper I'd cut out the masks from would be a perfect reverse mask for the brown so that I could paint the 'missing' green bits:

36175419031_8255ec1857_z.jpg

That done, I called up the Monster from the Blue Lagoon, or is it Quatermass, to mask the fuselage. Then I sprayed on the DE:

36143497162_e0856c46c9_z.jpg

35916025850_099c931d2e_z.jpg

Masks off later - hooray!

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Thanks Simon - my M-i-L isn't that bad actually, but I don't think she's much good at masking :D

Ta dah!

35475800884_7a7d83feba_z.jpg

Wings just pushed on. They'll be off again for touch ups and detailing around the engines.

Lesson for today? If you want the camo to line up, fit the wings before masking. Ho hum.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1