Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

On 7/27/2017 at 4:52 AM, CedB said:

If you're gentle there's no scratching either.

But where's the fun in th--oh. Oh, I see. Never mind.

It's coming along nicely, Buffers!

• Like 2

35430443143_03920d98c2_z.jpg

I see that the description on the decals is incorrect. 10 Sqn. were definitely not at Leeming in 'late 1943'. They were at Melbourne, and had been for some time. They left Leeming on 19 Aug 1942 when it was handed over to the RCAF.

Edited by chaddy
Date corrected.
  • Like 3

Thanks Simon - I hope Santa brings a mitre block for you :D 

Thanks PC - it won't be long before you feel the six inch half round second cut urge; do not resist... :) 

Thanks chaddy - interesting :) 

Thanks Jari - another great photo AND it shows that the kit is incorrect as previously noted. Good job I've built it with the doors closed :)

Turret parts collected and initial painting done:

35464803323_c3bb99ea7c_z.jpg

The guns will get a brushing with gunmetal (of course) and hopefully the black will provide some weathering. 

Also need some masking mojo for the turret parts and the main bits.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Finn said:

Here is a view of the bomb bay with doors open:

RCAF_Halifax_bomb_load_WWII_IWM_CH_17362

Jari

Uhhh, this looks somewhat awful, but if you think you're the best choice and everyone else is less than trash! ...... The B-51 motorway around  a part of the city here is closed for 4 weeks now in Münster as it becomes bigger, but it has to be sure,  that it is cleaned of bombs  from that period. Something usual here!

• Like 6

Don't feel too bad about that please bbudde

We had half of the city of Birmingham stopped for hours whilst the Royal Engineers detonated one of Herr H's little 500kg gifts to my mom and grandad

He'd have been pleased to know the thing was still very potent and left debris all over the place  :)

I doubt if any of us are pleased about the subject

One day I will not hear of Le Mans being cleared of another one we, the Allies, left lying around the race circuit

It is going to be a while away yet...

• Like 4

Smashing progress Ced. :thumbsup:.

It's strange; this is a mass production model (Revell) of a mass production bomber.

Yet it would appear to have posed as many, if not more, manufacturer originated blunders and conundrums as many of the earlier Valom, Special Hobby and so on 'short-run' kits that you've beaten into submission.

In some ways, some of those seem to have been more enjoyable for you too; the Beaufort springs to mind.

The psychology of 'what makes a fun build' puzzles me. Well, for me right now it would probably be a Frog Seahawk; it has about 15 parts, looks right and only needs around four paint colours :D!

Keep it up Ced, the chequered flag is in sight 🏁 !

Best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Auto corrupt
  • Like 6

Thanks Benedikt and Bill - yes, a problem here in Bath too; when doing some building work at our Girl's school they found a UXB under the canteen, yards from the playground... doesn't bare thinking about :shutup: 

Thanks Johnny - yes, paint today I think :)

Thanks TT - yes, strange, but we've found that the Halifax seemed to be the subject of much fiddling and modification, some in the field.

I agree I haven't been enjoying this build all that much but I think it's life, rather than the kit, that's made it 'less fun'. Now that all the company sale stuff seems to have been sorted I'm settling down and enjoying it more. :) 

When I had some pilot moulding problems Benedikt suggested the 'legless' figures would be good in turrets. He was right:

36280597405_49010b7fb4_z.jpg

35447594014_4e3c023ba6_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll mask those up when the Gator's Grip has dried.

Better get on with masking for the camo - I hope I have enough paint!

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Benedikt and Bill - yes, a problem here in Bath too; when doing some building work at our Girl's school they found a UXB under the canteen, yards from the playground... doesn't bare thinking about :shutup: 

After leaving school back in '84 I worked for a couple of years doing groundwork on the building sites (ooh my hands were rough then, not the tender manicured pads you see in bench shots today:lol:) and spent about 6 months on one  site up in Whitechapel in the East End.

One afternoon Stevie, our JCB driver suddenly exits his cab with such rapidity that you would have sworn they were fitted with ejector seats and disappears into the distance bellowing 'Run you effing effers there's an effing bomb in the hole!'

The rest of us in the gang of course stand there scoffing at Stevie's pathetic attempt at a wind-up.

Then one of the chippies looks down from the bedroom window above us into the hole: 'Err lads-'

Area cleared.

Ordnance guys called out.

The bomb had apparently been made safe in the Blitz but never dug out and carted away for whatever reason (more bombing quite possibly..). From the size of it when we saw it being taken off on the back of the lorry I'd guess it was a 250Kg job.

We made Stevie a medal from some Mr.Kipling's apple pie foil and a piece of tartan sock. He's probably a grandfather now and tells the grandkids what he did in the Battle of Whitechapel.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CedB said:

I agree I haven't been enjoying this build all that much but I think it's life, rather than the kit, that's made it 'less fun'. Now that all the company sale stuff seems to have been sorted I'm settling down and enjoying it more. :) 

When I had some pilot moulding problems Benedikt suggested the 'legless' figures would be good in turrets. He was right:

36280597405_49010b7fb4_z.jpg

35447594014_4e3c023ba6_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll mask those up when the Gator's Grip has dried.

Better get on with masking for the camo - I hope I have enough paint!

The figures in the turrets seems "credibles" ... that is what we need to look for with this scale (i think). 

Ufff ... you are going to need paint ... i'm sure!! jejee

• Like 2

Thanks Tony - I too worked on a building site 'in my youf'. Ah, the gapes! Did anyone play the trick on you where you put two (very light) breeze blocks on the ground and, just behind them, two (very heavy) concrete blocks? You then walk through the gap, grab the breeze blocks and say to your victim "Grab those will ya Ced Jim". Of course they grip the blocks and lift, but the blocks stay where they are and they rip the skin off their fingers! Oh, how they we laughed :D 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

We made Stevie a medal from some Mr.Kipling's apple pie foil and a piece of tartan sock.

Scratch building, even then. :D 

Thanks Jamie, glad you like them :) 

While waiting for the masking mojo to emerge I fiddled with some bits and then did some more modelling (fnarr!). 

The sharp eyed amongst you who know this kit will be wondering why I didn't drill holes in the wings (as instructed) before joining the halves. Why? 'Cos I'm an idiot, that's why.

Sadly the perfectly covering Stynylrez didn't allow me to use Pete's 'shine a light' technique and neither did Revell leave Alex's 'dents in the other side' so I guessed carefully examined the plans, drilled some holes and located the pipes on the bottom:

36281948355_260eff4c7a_z.jpg

If they weren't fitted on this variant please let us know :lalala: They got painted with flat black.

Top-of-the-wing vents and balances removed from the sprue onto the anti-ping device:

36282051275_4c06d17782_z.jpg

I think I'll fit them at the end though to save knocking them off (titter titter). Holes drilled in the top to hold them:

35449174804_122f103d18_z.jpg

Tailwheel assembled and painted, hub with flat black and tyre with rubber black. I know, why bother... precision, that's why... even I have my standards. :) 

Tailwheel support painted on the sprue:

35889119600_403fc5de80_z.jpg

Hopefully the masking mojo will be with me soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Ced! I also worked on a site for a while. One particular day one of the lads was trying to drill a hole through the concrete floor for heating pipes but couldn't find a spot without rebar in it. There were little indentations all over the place where he'd started and hit the bars. The gang leader, an old Irishman, saw this, grabbed the jackhammer and told him he'd show him how it should be done. It promptly hit the angle between 2 pieces of rebar and jammed the bit solid, leaving the gaffer bouncing round in circles! We p...ed ourselves laughing!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Ps.: Can't see  or do any likes. Just me?

No. Same with me here Benedikt here,

Plus instead of likes it tells me people have 'reacted to' my posts - I only hope they haven't reacted badly! :confused::D

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I just gave you a 'sad' reaction (one of four I can choose) Tony, can you see it?

Keith

Not a thing old fruit! It still look like a standard post only with the 'like' bit missing but nothing new to replace it. Most odd.

Where do you add your reaction from Keith?

• Like 1

I've got a grey 'circle with a heart in' icon on the bottom right of a post - hovering over it brings up a 'like' caption & the three, sorry four, other 'reaction' choices, sad, happy, confused & thanks. Just clicking it gives 'like'.

K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tony Tiger just posted this on Giorgios Macchi thread;

"To make 'likes' appear, go to 'themes' and change the theme to 'Default' rather than 'New Britmodeller' ."

I'm using Default theme.

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That's it chaps; I read it on another thread.

If the theme is set to 'default' rather than 'New Britmodelller' the 'reactions' appear (although the 'go to top' arrow disappears).

AFAIK it's just temporary glitch stuff and should work it's way through with a nice dose of Rhubarb and Senna :)

Hope it works 

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Like, Confused, Ha Ha... so many choices... honestly you programmer types, just because you can doesn't mean you should! Does this mean words will soon become redundant?

Thanks everyone, especially Ian for the story - love it (rats, no 'reaction' for that...)

The masking mojo returned and has been used in anger. I keep in mind Nigel's tip about sticking spare bits of tape to the mat and then using them later. Also, not trying to cover everything in one go. Also, avoiding 'channels' that the spray might go down. Big job. What's this for?

35889804220_6d79d950d0_z.jpg

The irritating little curve on the outer nacelles:

36282857175_1ba34b65f4_z.jpg

The nose will drive you mad unless you remember that it's not at the same level from side to side:

35484626163_2af68f3810_n.jpg 36248892186_d72d03efc3_n.jpg

35896424450_af6a175814_z.jpg

I must remember to smooth down that kink before spraying - it does conform under stroking with a warm finger. This bit is a pain too:

35896503130_655e3a100a_z.jpg

but eventually the line is masked:

35484894413_695e6d9501_z.jpg

and the belly covered in cheap tape. It can now join the wings ready for painting:

35896780750_253afdc04c_z.jpg

Time for some food. Paint later.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

honestly you programmer types, just because you can doesn't mean you should!

I'm on a railway muddling forum (also Invision) that has 7 choices Ced - my reaction (& that of many others on there) was the same when that went from 1 choice to 7, but I now find the choices quite useful. Although one of the ones that people tend to use a lot on there, ''agree'' isn't included in BM's new choices! What really grates with me with the change on here is the ''so and so reacted to this" message - I just find that rubbish!! On said railway forum the 7 choices have 7 icons & the ''reaction'' when you click on one is simply the display of that icon! 

Keith 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1