Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

5 hours ago, celt said:

Could have lost a finger there CedB, Still enthralled.:popcorn:

Thanks celt - could have ended in tears... I'm perhaps getting overconfident around blades; must take more care! :) 

Thanks Michael - it looks as though they fit well enough but we shall see! :) 

Thanks John - they do have nice matrices and I'll look forward to highlighting them later :) 

Scaffolders coming this morning, allegedly. I had to call the chap yesterday lunchtime after a no-show in the morning. I'm never sure if delayed starts are a sign of a good, and therefore busy, tradesman or one that's just not bothered. He is the cheapest though... :hmmm: 

“I guess the question I'm asked the most often is: "When you were sitting in that capsule listening to the count-down, how did you feel?" Well, the answer to that one is easy. I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts -- all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.” 
― John Glenn

• Like 7

Thanks Matteo :) 

Forgot to post this comparison of the upper intakes:

35919514921_7d26a59f78_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

More resin removal action this morning. Nano-saw down the underside of all these:

35889981222_bc8ed492a5_z.jpg

Broke off the protection bars and then down the row of prop blades:

35889983432_0ab887064e_z.jpg

Nice shape these after cleaning up the flash on the tips, carefully:

36019281106_ee57cf29c7_z.jpg

All done. Count 'em. I didn't and there was one hiding behind the water dish:

35220832034_069ba5d55a_z.jpg

Some glueing action later methinks.

• Like 16

I disciplined myself to finish off the resin removal and set about the spinners and hubs. The little 'duck beak' nano-saw looked ideal for cutting along the block for this:

35890610372_2699260f4b_z.jpg

and they came away nicely, once I remembered NOT to push down and let the saw do the work:

35252312643_c574461d92_z.jpg

The remaining spinners were less easy. I got bored scoring with the scalpel (impatient idiot that I am) so I tried Giorgio's razor blade:

35671597420_3887e2e369_z.jpg

Then I thought 'why not saw into the block at angles and then I'd only have the top bit to score'. Bad idea. I think the saw (a cheap version) gradually pushed against the spinner:

35928680661_b32f4a3dd2_z.jpg

That'll teach me to be impatient with resin. Rats. They're not too bad from a distance:

35671755690_1985f06e00_z.jpg

especially if you turn them this way:

35928695731_aef2bcf021_z.jpg

Cross with myself now. A bit of Milliput needed later methinks.

• Like 12

Ed you are a gentleman and I am, of course, an idiot. The instructions show that the spinner should 'end' at the bottom of the openings:

35222317774_47d70c081b_z.jpg

I shall carefully remove the 'bases' which will make me feel better (if not clever).

In other news the postie delivered @Beard's kind parcel this morning:

35221842884_1ee9acd51e_z.jpg

No smell at all and a useful little pot to boot. The nose? It has left me strangely excited:

35221887004_ef9e26e6b7_z.jpg

Just what I was after, thanks Simon :D 

• Like 16

Er

And oops

And still no harm done

Those resin bits look rather nice Ced, bravo chum

I tend to avidly collect daft little tubs and pots like those

Did anyone mention Anthony Aloysius HHHHancock just then?   😬

Those pots are instrumental in making PerduPlasticProductions what it is today

Just saying

😀

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

PerduPlasticProductions

Ah, that's what PPP stands for! :rofl:

Ced, I feel like I've been on a resin rollercoaster here :wacko:  :frantic::D:D

I'd have stuck with the razor blade for the spinner - doing small segmented cuts as to refine the shape. Still, good thing you have to sand off all the base, no damage :phew:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Bill - ah, use the pots for moulding - check :) 

Thanks Giorgio - bottle some of that patience for me, will you? :D 

I have corrected my schoolboy error. I packed the spinner with cheap white tak (which we know can't be used for anything else because of the residue it leaves) and tried patient scoring with a blade:

36021106266_3c27c1bba3_z.jpg

Sometimes I think I never learn - I don't have the patience! Out with the not-quite-nano saw:

36021114986_29eb6d0c84_z.jpg

and we're done:

36021230556_6f027c2c82_z.jpg

and rest...

Scaffolders are here surrounding the house in pipes. I really admire how these guys - clang and buzz and in no time they have a stable platform constructed.

Their parking however... seems to be mandatory to block a drive, park on the pavement etc etc. 

I suppose one can't be good at everything.

• Like 15

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

Just what I was after, thanks Simon

You're welcome Ced, both to the nose and the pot (I've got plenty more) but I'd like the kitchen towel back. 😁

• Like 3

On 21/07/2017 at 08:36, CedB said:

What's wrong with this picture?

I have to say that that made me twitch. "What on earth is the Toe Stubber up to now? Trying to invent an excuse for another A & E visit?", I thought. "Trying to balance the damage by inflicting an injury up in the top half?"

It almost beggared belief ;).

But I really know that it was a test to see who was a lert.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: >-- not a lert

Edited by AlexN
Stupid typo
  • Like 2

Thanks Simon :) I'm keeping the kitchen towel I'm afraid. I did read the veiled threat re bailiffs in your PM but I've just had a word with the scaffolders and they've agreed to fit the armour plate for a small extra charge. And crenelations, of course, one must maintain proper standards :rofl: 

Thanks Giorgio. Pity. I could have done with some patience for my next task (see below) :) 

Thanks Alex - stay alert; Britain needs lerts! :D 

BEHOLD:

35893360702_90d05ecb08_z.jpg

I have to say that's one of the best seams I've ever done. Beautiful. Not a join in sight. Ho hum, it's got to go... 

Right, scoring with the scalpel, gently, gently... look, it's making dents. Only another 2 hours and we'll be... oh come ON! Haven't you learnt by now? Out with the 'special' JLC saw:

35223920784_51e152a543_n.jpg 35893563252_12d3e729de_n.jpg

NOW you can gently use the scalpel to separate the last bits:

36023295156_b2d88e93a0_z.jpg

Crikey, now I know why they call it plastic WELD - I was expecting it to give in but it fought all the way. And of course the locating lugs were left inside the fuselage, along with a lot of dust:

35255014773_3735eb3f97_z.jpg

Sorry Nav. A quick brush out and dry fit the nose:

35674900060_99bc89e76a_z.jpg

Locating lugs left inside. Right, Carefully remove those then and try again:

36023474376_91b524b031_z.jpg

Very nice. I'll sort out that pout, see if I don't.

Just a minute though, doesn't that nose remind you of someone? 

36063931045_6deeca4c0c_z.jpg

You know, that robot in Star Wars that was running the workshop where... oh all right, suit yourself.

• Like 23

I would of said Brian Johnston.....

Never be hasty Ced, taking time over some procedures can save time doing remedial work later.

Still, coming along very nicely indeed mate.

Keep up the fine work sir.

Simon.

• Like 1

Fine surgery going on, Ced :clap:

Love the look of the new nose (and yes, it kinda reminded me that Star Wars character too ... )

Ciao

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 11:26 PM, CedB said:

Thanks Bill :D

Thanks Simon - if it's the one shown as the 'Z type' and you don't need it you'll be my saviour; I can just get hold of the radiator/prop and exhaust sets and I'll be a happy bunny! Here's what I'm trying to replicate:

34229227734_80e1f26d1d_z.jpg

for JB910:

35841745862_2cf744a9ce_z.jpg

JB910 & Crew by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It does look like the right one so I'll get the other bits ordered - great! Excited now :D 

Thanks Keith, very kind and encouraging as always :)

Thanks Michael - I love that analogy; I think I'm in the 'concerned but lazy' group and, to be honest, this isn't one of my favourites (any more!) :) 

Thanks Johnny - I think the kit is OK actually with decent fit so far - it's just maybe not that accurate! :) 

Thanks Chris - you've bought another kit? I take full responsibility... :D

Thanks Ed and Bill - I still don't think I'm up to that level of scratch building so hopefully the AML bits will fit the bill.

I'm a bit late to the party on this, but enjoying catching up with the build so far. :)

One thing that strikes me is that the forward port side lower window does not, apparently, exist on JB910 (and neither on the starboard side I think). Also the upper forward window appears smaller on the actual aircraft than on the kit.

Cheers, keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Looking good Ced. Interesting to see the Tollerton nose. Interestingly enough, the hangar in which these aircraft received their nose jobs was demolished earlier this year. The airfield is still active and I fly from there occasionally. 

This kit looks a bit of a dogs breakfast with all the aftermarket needed. The radial engined version was being flogged off at RIAT for £15, I was tempted but stash reduction is my aim at the moment. 😆 

Love those little saw blades for the resin, must invest in some! :idea:

• Like 2

On 21/07/2017 at 1:03 AM, celt said:

Could have lost a finger there CedB, 

You most definitely would have.....:tease: :winkgrin:

Celt can keep you enthralled for hours with tales of personal damage that would make your toes curl Ced....oh sorry, forgot you can't curl your toes....

Anyway, returning to the Halibag, more great progress!

Keith

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HP42 said:

Looking good Ced. Interesting to see the Tollerton nose. Interestingly enough, the hangar in which these aircraft received their nose jobs was demolished earlier this year. The airfield is still active and I fly from there occasionally. 

This kit looks a bit of a dogs breakfast with all the aftermarket needed. The radial engined version was being flogged off at RIAT for £15, I was tempted but stash reduction is my aim at the moment. 😆 

Love those little saw blades for the resin, must invest in some! :idea:

Ced,

I saw those (you saw what I did there?) - especially the little curvy one - so I will second HP 42 ans say I'd like some too. Now the question is ....... (and excepting you have mentioned this in the thread) - where did you get them from?

The mighty H, or some other emporium?

• Like 1