Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

Ced,

Freighdog do two 'improvement' sets and are showing as available on their website:

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27_29&products_id=734&osCsid=qncwvunzokulfm

http://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=27_29&products_id=728&osCsid=qncwvunzokulfm

Colin is no longer running the business full-time, so may be a little slow in replying, but I've recently bought some stuff of him so it's probably worth deciding which one you need and just making an order.

Edited by Beard
to insert text, so the comment makes sense.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks everyone for the best wishes - the toe is getting better, slowly, but is still a bit of a mojo killer :( 

Good to hear of the improvement, may some 'herbal schnapps' or some 'fizzy' chicken - or both :shocked: - might help with the mojo, if not the accuracy of work...

What's this? You ordered a crowbar after your toe injury? Or was it before? On no account play with the new tool after partaking of the 'herbal schnaps' (or 'fizzy' chicken)!

I'm out of likes for some odd reason so I felt compelled to 'write' a post instead. But consider yourselves duly 'liked', chaps.

• Like 1

I would go with the advice about replacing the engine fronts, IMHO the kit ones look so wrong to the point of ruining the appearance of the model.

Martian

• Like 2

AML also list some improvement sets for the Revell Halifax:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA7241

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLA72044

I haven't seen any reviews of them (and haven't checked to be honest), but comment on this excellent site gives them a similar rating to the Freightdog sets, albeit with some reservations around the shape/length of the spinner.

Edge

• Like 2

The actual build notes are a bit lost in the s/n but I gather you are going to use the Freightdog set for the engines. It's an improvement on the kit (a reasonably decent improvement) but I saw two builds of the kit recently - one FD conversion alongside a scratch built "engine shrinking" conversion and I must say the latter was a LOT better. I'd find the pic but its in Botophucket somewhere.

I have reviewed the kit and the Aeroclub conversion and I think that is the ONLY way to get a decent result without a monumental effort. good luck finding an Aeroclub one though.

The AML ones look pretty similar to FD but perhaps a bit more detailed. i'd suggest you try them and see!

Kit as is - pretty crappy

FD - some improvement - not a lot of effort

AML - perhaps a bit more improvement - perhaps a bit more effort

Aeroclub - rather more improvement - a little bit more effort

Scratchbuild - probably the only way to a really anally good result - a lot of effort

• Like 3

I am at a loss here Ced

I know Ed is saying there is lot if effort to scratchbuild a fix for it but how hard can it be?

Laminate plasticard using plans and pictures of the real thing

Bit of Milliput to tidy up and violet! cast four from one

We too often take a step back when there's a perceived problem, we all have the basic materials to tackle these things ourselves

Ed, who knows a fair bit about these things has said the best was a shrink the kit bits and rejoice

I haven't studied it but you know me, home brewed is ALWAYS best brewed

😇

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

IMO, all Revell kits of modern vintage are a trifle fiddly. If any man can sort them out with some good British commonsense (and perhaps a few scotch-and-sodas) though, that man would be you, Buffers.

• Like 4

Thanks Simon - I'd found the FD sets and I think it's the first one I need, bookmarked in the hope I'll hear from Colin. If I don't get hold of a 'Z nose' then the planned scheme is going to be wrong anyway...

Thanks Alex - crowbar after toe, thankfully. Once I'm back on my feet properly it'll be heaving rocks around the garden. Oh, OK, big stones then.

Thanks Martian and Edge - I have the AML set bookmarked too and, if I'm going to do JB910 I'll also need the 'type C exhausts' - this is getting pricey!

Thanks Ed for the detailed comparison. I'll have a think...

Thanks Bill and PC - your confidence in my abilities is deluded very much appreciated. I'll have another think... scratch a cowling and mould copies. Gulp.

Parts #140 have been fitted:

36000004985_4b7006633c_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Easy really - as Michael said they're more or less upright.

On to the nacelles. The radiator flaps on the outer ones are fine and they went together well. Just dry fitted :

36003937665_1c4c507534_z.jpg

36003939865_5f66b7a061_z.jpg

They fit really well with a bit of wriggling.

They look fine - is it just the fronts that are wrong? I'll do some research...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CedB said:

f I don't get hold of a 'Z nose' then the planned scheme is going to be wrong anyway...

It's taken me a while to read back through this thread to realise that you're making a BII (Special).

The Tollerton nose is included in the BIII boxing but isn't used and, I have a BIII in the stash... the unused bits are yours, if you want them.

• Like 5

Thing is Ced, the nacelles obviously are wrong, but are they only that obvious when the model is sat on a table 6 inches from your nose where you can critically examine it having been briefed by t'internet on what to look for? When it's suspended from your ceiling and you're looking up at it from a few feet below will they be that obvious - especially to need hours of scratchbuilding and moulding to improve? Or will your normal excellent building and finishing give you yet another atmospheric model - a Halifax full of nervous young crew plodding along in a darkening turbulent sky under your study ceiling...

Just saying....

Keith

• Like 7

Ced,

Like what Keith said, and also Beard. To expand (in an irreverant Arts graduate way) on Keith's observations, the reactions to interweb reviews are a bit like a bee hitting the front windscreen of a school bus on an outing. Some faint, others need ambulance attendance, some gather and mourn, some need trauma counselling  and some did not notice.

If it is in the air and you made it, then it will be fine (the Halifax, not the bee).

I have had a look at my yet-to-be-built Mk III and the Tollerton nose would be more than passable - for me.

But for you? That is possibly a different matter. 

Having just completed dropping the flaps on my Mk 2 srs1a version, it really does not come up to best Britmodeller standard. However I do like the atmospheric look of the machine in this form and I am strangely satisfied, because at rest on their hardstands, with everything switched off,that is how they looked.

The interweb reviewers and assorted techno-tsars have their place but can they override the photographic evidence?

My printed sources would suggest that the concept of a single, irrevocably standard Tollerton fairing is a bit of a model reviewer's urban myth.

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright
Alzheimer remembers
  • Like 4

Oh, 'eck, Ced. I was being so good, hadn't bought a kit in over a month, and now I've gone and got myself a(nother) Halifax. The Mk III boxing, though, to do as a 100 Group machine; I've already tackled those Merlins...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

only that obvious when the model is sat on a table 6 inches from your nose where you can critically examine it having been briefed by the internet on what to look for?

If you don't look at pictures of real ones it will look fine. Otherwise it looks odd from 6 feet away.

All the bits fit together quite well because the distortion carries through to the undercarriage etc.

You could probably make the whole kit in about two hours work plus painting if you don't correct anything.

@perdu - you could scratchbuild an inner then an outer nacelle and cast two more. That's pretty much what Aeroclub have done.

• Like 8

Thanks Bill :D

Thanks Simon - if it's the one shown as the 'Z type' and you don't need it you'll be my saviour; I can just get hold of the radiator/prop and exhaust sets and I'll be a happy bunny! Here's what I'm trying to replicate:

34229227734_80e1f26d1d_z.jpg

for JB910:

35841745862_2cf744a9ce_z.jpg

JB910 & Crew by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It does look like the right one so I'll get the other bits ordered - great! Excited now :D 

Thanks Keith, very kind and encouraging as always :)

Thanks Michael - I love that analogy; I think I'm in the 'concerned but lazy' group and, to be honest, this isn't one of my favourites (any more!) :) 

Thanks Johnny - I think the kit is OK actually with decent fit so far - it's just maybe not that accurate! :) 

Thanks Chris - you've bought another kit? I take full responsibility... :D

Thanks Ed and Bill - I still don't think I'm up to that level of scratch building so hopefully the AML bits will fit the bill.

• Like 7

Ced,

This is what you're after:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/accessories/freightdogfdr72074reviewbg_1.htm

This review has a photo of the transparencies in the Revell MkIII:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/reviews/accessories/freightdogfdr72074reviewbg_1.htm

I'll dig out a suitable container and pop the bits in the post on Thursday.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

35841745862_2cf744a9ce_z.jpg

JB910 & Crew by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It's not until you see personnel lined-up like that below these 'big beasts' for scale that you get a true sense of how big they were is it Ced?

The Stirling similarly looks like a bunch of blokes standing under part of the Hammersmith flyover:

3973160697_6535dbde0f.jpg

Admiring your resolve in getting this build Halifactually corrected to your satisfaction.

:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 7

Thanks Simon - sadly that's the 'Z nose' that is no longer on the FD site and Colin hasn't replied so your parts will be much appreciated (fnaar fnaar!) :D

There's a picture of the nose parts here, the first photo in the 'Clear Parts' section looks very promising...

Thanks Tony - yes, 'gurt large' as they say in these parts. I must admit the 'modelling' resolve was wearing me down a bit but I think we're on the last legs of getting everything together; fingers crossed. :) 

Thanks Steve - very kind of you. Enjoying it so far! :) 

OK, we have a plan (before something hits me in the mouth). Radiator, prop and exhausts on their way from Hannants... well, ordered anyway. I know they're to be supported and I will, but I do wish they'd move their warehouse closer to somewhere with a post office... I've asked for '24 hour' post but this doesn't seem to include the time it takes to get stuff to the nearest depot. Ho hum. That 'get it by 6pm' logistics lot have a lot to answer for in terms of raising our expectations. In the meantime I think I can carry on with the nacelles, closed wheel bays and the fuselage clean up. The nacelle fit is nice:

35630787800_e4910b27cf_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

except where I wasn't careful enough with the 'fat wing' leading edge:

36020331325_77774bc2d8_z.jpg

Just a tiny gap that'll fill easily. All glued now ready for the AM when it arrives:

35886875001_2881abe36d_z.jpg

• Like 11

A little bit of morphing can only do a retired gentleman good Ced, you will find that you and morphment are well suited

Nice work on the engine body bit/fit too

Looking at those chaps holding down the Stirling gives me a little frisson, my dad could have been on the other side of that one

And looking UP, look how high that wing is

No wonder he broke his arm as he ice-nonskated off one one cold and frosty morn

Ced's pic of the Hallybag shows nacelles that would swiftly respond to the attentions of a six inch half round second cut

My traditional modelling tool of choice. 😀

• Like 7