Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Can't remeber if Oyumaru was part of your previous casting experiments - anyway, looking forward to what turns out

Thanks Giorgio - I had tried the stuff but not got on with it - it wasn't 'wrapping' around the master:

32300572425_88e7e28c8f_z.jpg

Another BMer posted that you need to put the stuff in very hot water; he does it straight from the kettle (watch your fingers!) so I thought I'd try it again (see below). Leon also told me he'd got on well with it so worth a try.

35476493562_ae9b96ac86.jpg

Gould Stephen by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Thanks Simon - luckily our postie delivers in the morning so my naps are uninterrupted! Good luck with the Mk III :) 

Thanks John - caught by the PB money grab!! Hopefully they'll see sense and stop their nonsense, or suffer for their greed! Flickr's good and you can download your pics from PB; Keith says it's slow, presumably because everyone's downloading their photos.

Right, Oyumaru out:

34835610403_09f5515f2e_z.jpg

Nice mug of boiling water, bits chopped up with the scalpel and dropped in. MUCH better hot (fnaar) and it moulds nicely round the master, making sure there's no bubbles (I hope):

34803235344_7b10960aba_z.jpg

This is when I started panicking in case it hardened up (snurf snurf) before I got the second mould ready. I SHOULD have made sure I'd made some locating holes or some other way to make sure the halves located accurately. Anyway, I pressed on (see what I did there?):

34835644573_f65f1ab4f9_z.jpg

The good thing about the clear stuff is that you can kid yourself that you can see if the mould is all around the master. Aha ha ha.

Done now and (what looks like) a suitable tool chosen to push in the Milliput, Superfine chosen (just because):

35476252002_df68fb1c3f_z.jpg

Used the 'sausage method' suggested by @AlexN to make sure the stuff mixes:

35644713035_4b400074f9_n.jpg 35257789720_bede22b329_n.jpg

Knead, knead. Then I realised I had to get the stuff in the head (behave yourselves now) so I shaped a.... shape and shoved it in (oh DO behave you lot). Filled the moulds and then realised I had to join the halves so scraped off the excess on both halves, applied some water and smoothed with a more suitable tool:

35476315282_b5dd0a0818_n.jpg 34835800233_7620f88381_n.jpg

It's now been put aside to dry. How long do I leave that? According to their website "...at normal temperatures (20-25 deg C) Milliput becomes rock hard in three to four hours.".

Later then.

• Like 10

Looks v cool, Ced. I still think I prefer the look of the latex/resin/lego moulds, if only because they involve lego. I'd not heard of this Oyumaru before now, but I see it's yet another overlap of the metal clay world (my wife is perennially "borrowing" my tools for her jewellery work, though I do get to borrow her Dremel-like now and then).

• Like 2

Thanks Chris. The other moulds have worked well but, for this one, I thought I'd have trouble with bubbles 'cos it's long and thin... we shall see! :) 

Are we there yet? Post was two hours ago so this is a bit premature:

34806091514_87d8d5193c_z.jpg

Still a bit soft but nice detail, so far. That's the original underneath.

• Like 9

Thanks Giorgio. He's out!

35264977760_1f751729f5_z.jpg

Lots of flash, but then it is a 'short run' :D 

The white Milliput is notoriously difficult to mix as you can't see the colour change. It's still a bit soft so I took the opportunity to clean off most of the excess:

35521906341_32634bc31e_z.jpg

I think I'll leave it overnight and then, hopefully when it's harder, get rid of the rest of the excess. Not too bad though.

• Like 11

He looks a lot better than one of the figures from the Airfix Halifax Mk III.

There's one, I think maybe intended to stand furtively behind a bulkhead, that is frankly really scary.

It looks like the figure is based on the one in 'The Scream' by Edvard Munch.

I believe that I have this petrifying apparition painted, made almost human, somewhere in my BoB (Box of, erm, spare bits).

I may post him (/it) to you. With other less scary figures.

Please tell me that this figure has a face Ced :confused: 

Best regards

Tonyt

• Like 2

Thanks Chris and Giorgio :)

Thanks Keith - get your coat! :D

Thanks TT and John - he does have a face, of sorts, but he may be concentrating (if not crying) into the pillow bomb sight. Perhaps he's targeting the PB people? Here with the master:

35286705710_5a39b15ee7_z.jpg

and, although still a bit soft (uh oh!) a close up after some gentle clean up:

35673668705_0dcab26c2f_z.jpg

I'm hoping that it'll harden up (fnaar!) overnight. Oh wait, didn't I say that yesterday? It maybe that some idiot didn't mix the Milliput properly. Rats.

In any event, some other candidates have been chosen for the rest of the crew:

35504784152_23338c92d4_z.jpg

Note the legless figures that Benedikt helpfully suggested would be good for turrets. Great idea!

• Like 11

Yes please Simon, all donations very welcome!

I'm still not fully confident of the moulding - hard to maintain the fine detail with my amateur attempts.

I'm trying to think back to my specific battles with Milliput when I did my 'experiments' with an Oyumaru knockoff and Eduard Spit Mk IX bits - and boiling water.

Registration dimples were essential (a piece of plastic runner or a cocktial stick - or any other stick-like object, really). These are made in the first mould half before it gels;

I filled each mold half separately making sure that there were no voids - probably the trickiest part of the process;

Squished the halves together so that the excess formed as thin a flash as possible, but in the process you have to watch out that the pressure doesn't end up enlarging the cast compared with the original. All of my knockoffs I mean copies were larger than the originals;

My best results were with fluid epoxy glue used for sticking together full-sized sea-going boats, which is probably beyond the scope of this forum. It also was tricky to work. Second best was a similarly fluid porcelain repair epoxy, but was quite a bit more brittle than the boat-builiding glue, especially when being drilled;

The results are still visible, thanks to not using BotoPhu**et...

My tuppence-worth.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not an Oyumaru copy...

• Like 3

Hello Ced. What about Latexpaste or Latex milk + Paste for a quick, but  not so resistent and long living as silicon moulds, for some figures:

https://www.amazon.de/EFCO-Latexpaste-500-g/dp/B003X8MHD4

A bit lazy here,  as I struggle with some dicast paintings for quite a while ( did one five times and now it's back in the thinner, because it is/did match not perfect for me, Hmm Another try!!) and other things here. There seem to be also much problems with photos here on BM, as I don't see several ones on different topics here.  Don't know. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Thanks Alex - I watched your moulding with interest and, like you, I seem to have ended up with a larger copy. Perhaps the Oyumaru shrinks as it sets? Hmmm. Must remember the dimples next time - or something that helps position the halves :) 

Thanks Benedikt -  I hope the die cast restoration goes well. Thanks for the music! :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Alex - I watched your moulding with interest and, like you, I seem to have ended up with a larger copy. Perhaps the Oyumaru shrinks as it sets? Hmmm. Must remember the dimples next time - or something that helps position the halves :) 

Thanks Benedikt -  I hope the die cast restoration goes well. Thanks for the music! :) 

My thoughts on this, which I meant to put in the post above and forgot to, are that the mould gets worked and distended with all the squishing and squashing to remove air bubbles and squeeze the flash thin (in my case at least). Where gaming figures are concerned (per the 'blue stuff' video on Ewe-choob) it doesn't matter very much, but where (especially) 1/72nd model aircraft parts and figures are concerned, it does.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Wot vee says

There is also a malleable wax kind of stuff that might be better than oyuwotsit

I saw it at Telford a couple of years ago

One of those "I'll pop back later and get some of that!" moments, went back, they'd sold out...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

There is also a malleable wax kind of stuff that might be better than oyuwotsit

Siligum Bill? As per;

https://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/siligum-two-part-mould-paste-kit-with-400-bands/BDKIT609/?gclid=CJXuzdrj7dQCFe6_7Qod00QMrw

I've also got a tin of dental moulding wax somewhere that I've had for years but haven't even opened. I think it's used much the same way as Oyamaru. I still prefer rubber & resin though! (does that need a fnaar Ced?!)

Keith

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Siligum Bill? As per;

https://www.beadsdirect.co.uk/siligum-two-part-mould-paste-kit-with-400-bands/BDKIT609/?gclid=CJXuzdrj7dQCFe6_7Qod00QMrw

I've also got a tin of dental moulding wax somewhere that I've had for years but haven't even opened. I think it's used much the same way as Oyamaru. I still prefer rubber & resin though! (does that need a fnaar Ced?!)

Keith

Could be Keith but I think it was on the Sylmasta stand at the Nats

400 bands?

Is that something I need to know about?

Grimethorpe Colliery and 399 others?

:)

• Like 2