Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

All separations are hard Ced, but they can be for the better :) just think once you have everything ready for full retirement you will have all the time in the world!! Honest! My dads only semi retired and appears to do absolutely nothing, so full retirement once in place must be even better?? (I do think he is retired fully but keeps up the act of semi retirement so my mum doesn't ask anything of him... odd really as he has been treated like a king all his live so doubt that would change) 

anyway hope you make it through your life upgrade and onto a beach with a pina-colada.... or rum and ginger beer... or rubarb Gin and ginger... or! Hmmm must be the weather, I better get a drink.

Rob

p.s. Just had a lovely low fly past from a chinnok, couple of hundred feet, with the tail gate open! Looked very cool! And we had a really low pass for a c-130 yesterday which sent the little girl into an excitement meltdown.

• Like 3

I sympathise with your travails, Ced. At least Apple are helpful, though I took some satisfaction (as the company's sole Android user) when we changed our phones over earlier this year and it took me about five minutes to shift everything from a HTC to a Samsung, while it took the Apple users hours (and multiple tries, thanks to iCloud).

BT take my award for "worst company to deal with". I have one account where BT have written to me six times to confirm that it was terminated and the services charged were never supplied. Eight months later, they're still charging us for the services, using the large credit balance that arose when they reversed their charges the first time. However, HMRC are coming through on the rails, courtesy of their new (soon to be mandatory) security system that rings you whenever you correctly enter your username and password. Only, of course, it rings the main number for our office and recites the required passcode to whichever confused soul picks up the phone.

• Like 1

Hello Ced. Nice to hear, that you have had  a wonderful weekend. Good to hear. The bucket list is, as far as I understand ( thanks Wiki) usually a list, that will be put into a bin after all. The german title is not that pessimistic. It's called "The best comes last". Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob - I aspire to your Dad's doing nothing. So far I've been occupied, but not busy and certainly not stressed - perfect(ish). I'm even starting to get some decent sleep (despite the heat) and hope I'll get close to seven hours a night soon(ish). I'm no Margaret Thatcher (who, for those who don't know, did well on four hours apparently).

Thanks Chris - I despair of my old industry, you think we'd have got everything right by now. Grace Hopper must be turning in her grave. You can't blame the computers (they can only count up to 1 after all) it's the designers and programmers IMHO. I spent many years as a 'large system designer' talking to users real people to see what they needed and then making sure the development teams* delivered what was required, even though it might be hard and not use the latest software toy. Happy people, less happy techies but hey, some great systems (IMO!) I'm not a fan of 'Cloud'... data centres are great if they're full of good people, good systems and with good connections, but we had one client who moved ALL their IT to 'Cloud' and the supplier went bust the day before their go live. Oops.

* Just occurred to me; why are they 'development teams' and not 'production teams' or something that implies they might FINISH something.

Hi Benedikt - 'Bucket List' comes from the film of the same name where two guys write a list of the things they want to do before they die, and then do them. Great film, recommended. Bring the tissues (to dry your manly tears, just to be clear).

• Like 10

Retired?

You???

Yeah right. 👅

No seriously mate welcome to the mardigras, its going to be good having you around a bit more often

Mrs B's fender bender, night before last?

Wasn't her that made me sit on the M23 for most of an hour I hope, we had a small car and a Romalatvianian truck in that position on Monday night

Glad she's OK anyway

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I despair of my old industry, you think we'd have got everything right by now. Grace Hopper must be turning in her grave. You can't blame the computers (they can only count up to 1 after all) it's the designers and programmers IMHO. I spent many years as a 'large system designer' talking to users real people to see what they needed and then making sure the development teams* delivered what was required, even though it might be hard and not use the latest software toy. Happy people, less happy techies but hey, some great systems (IMO!)

Snap! I keep banging the same drum to anyone that'll listen - & most of those that won't! One thing that I feel is largely lacking these days is proper testing - the indecent haste to get the latest shiny-shiny system live appears to me to rely on using the users as test guinea pigs...!! And of course much of it is down to shareholders profits in the hardware industry and the need to keep all the software developers in jobs...Ho hum, glad to be out of it all, eh Ced? I know I am!! :D

Keith

• Like 5

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Mrs B's fender bender, night before last?

Wasn't her that made me sit on the M23 for most of an hour I hope, we had a small car and a Romalatvianian truck in that position on Monday night

Glad she's OK anyway

Thanks Bill - nope, not guilty; she was on the M4 and didn't stop - first rule, don't stop the Motorway she says... quite right I suppose, pity your driver didn't 'know the rules' :) 

I am hoping to be around more, if not necessarily more often! I'm still catching myself looking at the clock in the morning to see if it's time to stop having fun and start work... it'll wear off soon!

Thanks Keith and Giorgio - you're right, testing is last on the list and often performed by Alpha/Beta testers who are also keen on the shiny toys, including their top-end computers. I'm told that it's impossible to emulate every environment in an anarchic PC world where people can install what they like. True I suppose, but there are still silly errors and missing, obvious features (like changing user ID; ask me how I know!). A colleague of old was very keen on testing and loved trying to find the holes in systems. Nowt so queer as folk...

Another day of tying up loose ends but tomorrow I plan to re-start the Halifax...

• Like 4

First rule

damned right, she is a star that girl

I have spent enough of my life watching 'plod' (Friendly epithet for a policeman, honest) enjoy shutting everything so they can measure rubber lines on tarmac

All to satisfy a computer man at the Home Office justifying, what?   ;)

And cost the nation billions of GBPs

doh

OK update when ready

GO!

• Like 1

Thanks Bill :) 

Someone told me all the measuring and CSI stuff they do at the scene was to make sure they had the 'evidence' in the event of a claim from one of the people involved in the 'incident'. Apparently they don't call them 'accidents' anymore as there's usually someone to blame. Pah! I agree with you - the cost of the hold up far exceeds any claim and they should do what they do on the continent and just shove the vehicles off the road and get it clear ASAP. So there.

And what about all the cones and things? My youngest's boyfriend manages works for Balfour Beaty (I think) and apparently there aren't that many people who actually do the work - the big contractors have to wait for them to 'fit them in', hence all the delays. Madness.

Hmmm, I seem to be adopting this grumpy old man stuff with ease! Must be the heat...

• Like 7

Well there's another four days gone...

Remember the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I've spent days trying to get the new Time Capsule working... yes, the setup was easy but the performance was, er, sub-optimal (to say the least). Today I replaced the NEW network extenders (that just didn't work) with the old ones (that were intermittent - once a month they needed a restart), moved the NEW Time Capsule to 'second place' with the old one controlling the network and, hey presto, back to where I was a few weeks ago (just with a new Time Capsule). John ( @Whofan ) had warned me that, when you're retired, you have less time because you do the jobs you want to do rather than those you have to do. I'm looking forward to that... my two weeks 'doing nothing' start today (again).

Saw Bill ( @perdu ) at the Coventry show (very, very nice man) and he's convinced me I should just paint over the windows. That would be easy. I may do that. Soon.

• Like 4

Ced,

when you said I said (there's a joke for this, surely) John had warned me that, when you're retired, you have less time because you do the jobs you want to do rather than those you have to do I wasn't warning you, just making an observation!

Based on real time experience of 1 test subject (myself) and theories from other retirees.

But it's clear that it works, as all the computing stuff is seriously extending into your modelling and doing nothing time.

Me? Busy doing   ... errr .... nothing at the moment - the light shower we're having (possibly just had) has scotched plans to spike the lawn, (i tell Mrs H that it's dangerous to use garden tools in the wet.

Any minurte now she's going to realise the lawn spiker has no electric motor in it ............................ just hand and foot power!

• Like 7

Thanks Bill :)

Thanks John - the only solution, to save face, is to make 'brmmm brmmm' noises when you're using the spiker... or just go out in the rain. No, NOT naked, for goodness sake man, think of the neighbours. :wicked: 

Look what a very kind @Michael Enright sent me:

34617920634_f0f4038aab_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nice eh? Michael says he's from a Merlin engined Halifax kit of old so just the job. I shall have to mould some spares. And build a couch for him to lie on.

I think I need to declare this a mojo jolting build as it's taken me so long to re-start after the business sale shenanigans. I'll just get on with it and see how it goes.

Starting with spraying the IG. I had a bottle of Hataka Interior Grey-green so started with that, but it's not right is it? Here compared to the Xtracrylic IG:

35574359595_b2ceff0824_z.jpg

I shall call that 'pre-shading' and spray the Xtracrylic over the top:

35574438315_d315035b4e_z.jpg

and on other bits:

35443922311_9dbe794ecf_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll feel like fiddling with the panels tomorrow.

• Like 17

Are you sure that xtracrylic IG isn't  the American version Ced? To my tired old eyes it looks very olivey (technical colour description). I have to say the Hataka looks more like the colour seen in pics of the real stuff....

Keith

P.S. What are these time capsules that are giving you such grief? I thought they were just things you filled with some tat and buried in the ground to confuse future archaeologists...?!:P:lol:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Ere you mention the name of the Scottish play!

No, no, Martian. He said MacDuff not Macbeth!  OOOOPS!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

No, no, Martian. He said MacDuff not Macbeth!  OOOOPS!

Ian

Go on, you know the routine and don't forget to tweak your nose nice and hard.

Martian

• Like 4

1 minute ago, limeypilot said:

Why did everyone in this bar just look at me really strangely.......my nose hurts too...

Ian

Try explaining it to them. They will look at you even stranger then! Even better, if you can get them to mention the name of the play, you could have the whole bar doing the routine.

Martian

• Like 2

They can't understand the relationship between hot potatoes and orchestra stalls.

And when I mentioned Puck she slapped me

💀

Oh, wrong play....

Ian

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

They can't understand the relationship between hot potatoes and orchestra stalls.

And when I mentioned Puck she slapped me

💀

Oh, wrong play....

Ian

Lets turn it into a drinking game for them then, they will get that I am sure. Tell them that all they need to do when someone mentions the name of the play is to shout " Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends" and the last one to tweak their nose is the loser and has to buy the next round of drinks.

Martian

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

You can get time for that Ced.

What's that Simon? Half past eleven :) 

Thanks Bill, fiddle I shall!

Hi Keith - it's FS34151, the same as the Vallejo I normally use... have I got them all wrong then? Is the Hataka better?

Martian and Ian are off again... :frantic:

• Like 4