Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

Congrats Ced.

Enjoy the freedom( especially being able to 'stay up late on a school night!!')

Far tooooooooooo many years to go before the government will allow me to retire :unamused:.

Hope you had a fantastic time in Blenhim.....

Jon

• Like 1

Along with everyone else; wishing you a very happy retirement!

:party:

Now you can make models, walk the dog, enjoy a nice day out, a late night with friends,  whenever you like :).

Bliss.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

Congratulations on getting out of the rat race Ced. Wish I could retire, but alas, I've got a good 20 years to go. Doesn't sound like a lot, if you say it quickly. 

Get your feet up, with your favourite pipe and slippers. 

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks Gents for all your very kind comments - what a great bunch you are :) 

A quick catchup post and then I'll reply to the best wishes.

We had a great time at Blenheim's Nocturn; picnic in the grounds with the girls and their boyfriends, great music and a lovely night. 

Got back on Sunday at about lunchtime and decided to start going through my online accounts to 'de-couple' myself from the company... and then the fight started.

I started at 'A'. 'Action Fraud' (official police online toe rag crime monitor) doesn't let you change your email address. OK, it's only a notification site, I can de-register and register again, right? No. 'We already have a user at your location, please check your details'. Stay calm Ced, stay calm... No, wait, I'm retired now and I need to spend my time and intellect to put this world to rights (uh oh, here he goes). I've spent too long in an industry that enjoys introducing new toys that do almost, but not quite, what the old one did but 'Hey, look at that cute menu bar and see how the graphic kind of zooms when you scroll?' (Sorry Mods, it is very pretty. Later I'll see if there's a new 'print topic' feature so I can archive WiPs, but my expectations are, sadly, low). What to do... Years ago one of my Gurus read a draft of a strongly worded memo I had spent ages crafting (for young 'uns, a 'memo' is like an email only on paper! Yeah, I know right!) He read it carefully and commented "Eloquent, concise and beautiful structured old boy, as usual. What are you going to do with it?" When I said I was going to send it to the b**##$$ i^&&* that had caused the problem he replied "Well you could, but what effect were you hoping to achieve?" A great life lesson that's saved me hours of angst over the years. So I calmly completed the 'contact us' form and moved on. Yesterday I had a nice, eloquently worded email from a lady who had updated my account to my personal email. See? You don't need to get cross, just be patient and things will sort themselves out. In my dreams.

Next - Apple. The online facility looks promising - you click 'Change my Apple ID', enter the new email and click 'Continue'. A little spinning cursor appears and then stays spinning. For hours. Hmmm. Try the help. You can do this from your iPhone it says. OK... Settings > me > company email, edit, swipe, delete (some pleasure in that, I'll tell you). No wait, you need to sign out of iCloud first. "Do you want to delete all content from this iPhone (it will be retained on the iCloud)?" Gulp. Courage, mon brave. "Yes". "OK, done. What email would you like to use for your new ID?" My Apple one please...

Apple don't let you use your Apple email accounts as an AppleID apparently - now you tell me. OK, I'll leave it for now. And restore my content, including my secured credit card details (more on that later).

I decided to replace the ageing time capsule (Apple backup drive) with a new one so starting research on the 'net for a new WiFi backup drive thingy (technical term). I love Apple products but they're 'not as cheap' (carefully phrased) as other offerings so I looked at what new technology was out there. Big mistake. It's like this:

I popped into the Apple Store to see what was what and a very nice man (a very very nice man) had me sorted in minutes. I tried to pay with Apple pay - declined. Tried to use the card in the machine (so old school) - declined. Phone rang with a caller ID in Halifax and a lady asked if it was me (do they have a lot of Indians in Halifax?). I replied that it was. She then proceeded to ask me lots of personal questions before I stopped her and asked her who she was - my bank's card fraud department (as if I'd fall for that one). Apparently there has been some 'unusual activity' on my card and it had been marked as suspicious and blocked. She did kindly allow me to spend my money but informed me the card would unusable after 24 hours and replaced by a new one in up to five working days. Great.

Yesterday I decided to instal the new time capsule. I followed the Apple setup (plug it in and turn it on) and braced myself for a fight. "Would you like to replace the old time capsule with the new one?" It asked. "Uh, yes" I replied and so it did. On its own. No hassle. As I said above Apple products are 'not as cheap' as other stuff but they certainly make life easier. i guess they spend the extra money on making their products easy to use or something. Get what you pay for in this world (see, grumbling pensioner starting to take hold already).

Flushed with success at using forty year's experience of computing to plug something in I then decided to replace the 'old' broadband router with the pretty new one BT had sent me. I'm told it has better WiFi range ("UK's most powerful Wi-Fi signal") which is nice in an old house. And then the fight started. The Internet was up and down like a... up and downy thing and I finally gave up last night; it seems to have settled itself this morning. Now I just need to convince BT to replace my dual-line Infinity with Business Web services with a simpler package. Wish me luck.

Mrs B came home last night having been nudged by a lorry on the Motorway - merging into reduced lanes she though he was letting her in... obviously not. Just a surface scratch and some paint. ho hum.

So, that's my current experience of retirement. Has it only been three days? Retirement will be peaceful? "I'm going to do nothing until I get bored" Who said that...

Still lots more online accounts to sort out. And the pension pot. Talking of pots, I think I'll get a tea pot so I can have a relaxing cuppa rather than a rushed mug. Nice.

Halifax, there will be progress soon, I promise.

• Like 17

Halifax B, that reminds me as a kid, visiting my grandparents, rhat summer they salvaged a Halifax B in the lake Hoklingen up in mid Norway. I think it was in '72 or '73. It was one of rhe planes from a bombing raid on Tirpitz late spring of 1942. It emergency landed on rotten ice and sunk through before the germans could check it out. It was some sight when it once again reappeared to the surface.

Edit:

I found a few photos from the salvage that summer, turned out it was July 1973 after all... (hope I don't hijack the thread too bad)

Halifax_II_Hoklingen_zpsrt0us2xj.jpeg

Halifax_II_Hoklingen_2_zpsvmtnee87.jpeg

Edited by Nils
added photos
  • Like 6

Crikey, 30 posts - thanks chums :) 

Right, deep breath...

Thanks Simon (Beard), Spookytooth, Giorgio, Keith, Alex, Chris (dogsbody), Rob, John, Johnny, Steve, Ian, Chris (amblypygid), Nigel, Tony, Pete, Jon, Stix, Leon, Cookie, TT and Matt - really appreciated and you're all very kind.

On 16/06/2017 at 20:21, Avereda said:

Nice work, when you start to get bored...Bath could really do with a small, independent model shop.

Hmmm, now there's an idea... but have you seen the prices in Bath!!

On 16/06/2017 at 20:54, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Congrats for your decision. I would travel here and there first; then I would do a list like in the film  "The bucket list". A little independent Model shop also sounds good, where you can open when you like! Maybe something like that in Essen , which I like very much:

http://www.classic-plane-mrr.de/

Edit; This good old fashioned one closed today at the Krayer street in Essen. Visited it usually once in a year till 2012, but Detlev Schorsch has put a right plan to keep this little very good one alive!! He's a great polite man and a honest one from what i can say or judge.

Thanks Benedikt. I have started having lunch with an old schoolfriend who had a meteoric rise in the software industry. He's also now retired. Strangely enough he has started a bucket list after I suggested he watch the film. We're having lunch again at the end of the month to discuss suitable entries... hmmm...

Thanks to Michael and Chris for posting the drawings - very useful and I shall be pondering some more.

• Like 9

It's great to hear that you've been working through things at home and staying calm Ced.

I was trying to think what it reminded me of. Ah yes:

https://youtu.be/J7Rhws_K2RY

New British Telecom plan to organise? Telecoms companies, now there are a set of very helpful people with whom it's always nice to have a productive chat :D:frantic: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I was trying to think what it reminded me of. Ah yes:

https://youtu.be/J7Rhws_K2RY

I'd forgotten just how brilliant that series was Tony - my sides are now hurting to remind me...!! 

And you see Ced, the advantage of being an IT wage slave rather than a software mogul was that you didn't have any of that business nonsense to untangle from your life when you retired - just one log on to your on-line banking to check just how much further your remaining lump sum has dwindled from yesterday...!! :D

Keith

• Like 3

Hello Ced,

OOB, I don't think so....

Congratulations for your retirement

Glad for you, retirement, mine is coming in almost 12 years since they want us to work until 67...

Now you will have time to scratch some plastic !!

Will follow from a corner, Oh my friend is actually doing is second Halifax, but the Fonderie ones ... 1/48

But he still has hairs so that can be done.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Thanks TT - what great clip and some good tips for use later :D

Thanks PBS - modelling? Soon, soon...

Thanks Keith - I laughed out loud too, great programme.

Thanks CC :)

Thanks John - which bit about the Time Capsule replacement? Easy it was, honest.

• Like 1