Halifax B Mk. I/II/GRII - Revell 1/72

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks guys :)

Apologies for the lack of progress - work is still at the front of my mind and everytime I think about some relaxing modelling I see this on the bench:

34858503210_ca2376f33d_z.jpg

and I still have to decide whether to modify the windows or, bearing in mind the incorrect nose, just get on with it OOB

More meetings tomorrow, sorry :( 

Ced,

Now I may well be AZAZAZAZAZAZAZAZA (actually that bit was my eight weeks' old whippet having a go at the key board) 

on the wrong track here but is your window quandary about the absence of a square window behind the triangular one on the starboard side?

If it is, I would venture that the missing square window rarely if ever appeared on the starboard side.

The lower rectangular window near the nose appeared on some but not all Merlin Halifaxes, but appears to have been more common on Z fairing / Tollerton-nosed types.

The transfer illustration maybe misleading unless a photograph of the actual aircraft shows it to be there.

Michael

• Like 3

Hippy Pappy Berthubthdy, as I recall it being said - or written - in The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Or something like that. Many happy returns :).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not Eeyore

Edited by AlexN
Text tweaks
  • Like 1

Not long now chaps - lots of documents flying around but hopefully some news by the end of the week :) 

Thanks Benedikt - OK thanks, just very involved in work discussions. Great article (the book not the hairy leotard - ewwwww!) 

Thanks Simon - work is a curse, hopefully to be removed soon!

Thanks Michael - it is the window position that's giving me trouble... some to be filled, some to be moved and others to be smaller. Point taken about the transfer illustration, thanks!

Thanks TT - remove the upper turret? Never!

Thanks Alex (and sheep!)

Thanks Johnny - a relaxed build? What's that?!!

• Like 4

Ced,

I am most certainly no expert but having looked through about fourteen publications I have on the Halifax, and being in the process of starting the Revell Merlin version (with Freightdog correction set) myself, I would observe that a path between 'accuracy' and interpretation (if that makes sense) will lighten the load a bit here.

There are all sorts of windows all over a Halifax and I doubt that anything other than a photograph would resolve matters. The Halifax is almost as confusing as the B-24 when it comes to variants and window options.

I had the good fortune to interview two aircrew of a 10 Squadron Mk II Series 1a, LW336;

the rear gunner, Denis 'Gerry' Girardau (RAAF) in Melbourne (Australia) in 1992

and the replacement bomb aimer, Geoffrey Fenton (RAF), in Sudbury in 1996.

In a crew photograph in front of their 'L-London' Halifax, the radiator and exhaust plumbing is clearly discernible, and the Revell kit has those options, so I have got lucky.

Good luck,

Michael

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Michael Enright said:

I would observe that a path between 'accuracy' and interpretation (if that makes sense) will lighten the load a bit here.

Michael makes a good point there Ced.

In the absence of a definitive photograph of the actual aircraft in question, the variability of some features makes inference a perfectly acceptable strategy.

As it does in history or archaeology as well of course...

Tony

• Like 1

I was also wondering where you had got to, then I found this. I'll go back to the beginning now and read it properly.

Cheers

John :pilot:

Edit:

Belated belated Birthday greetings. Nice picture of Molly, our youngster also does that look, but then they probably all do.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Thanks Michael - good advice! I think I might just build it OOB. But it wouldn't take much to move a window. Or two. Dither dither...

Thanks Tony - I shall infer something at my leisure!

Thanks John - hopefully I'll get (re)started soon.

It is DONE! I have today completed the sale of my company and I'm now RETIRED! Aha ha ha ha....

Not 'buy a yacht and sail the world' retired, just stopping the daily drudge (and fighting off SWMBO's wish to replace it with DIY drudge!)

I now have nothing to do and I'm going to enjoy doing that for a while until I get bored. I haven't had the time to be bored for a LONG time...

Plus some modelling, of course.

We're off to Blenheim with the girls tomorrow, back Sunday, and I hope to get some bench time then. About time!

Watch this space...

• Like 28

Congrats Ced! :thumbsup:

Gosh, the guy was already pounding model after model - from now on it'll be impossible to keep up at his pace! :frantic::D

Ciao

• Like 7

Hello Ced. Congrats for your decision. I would travel here and there first; then I would do a list like in the film  "The bucket list". A little independent Model shop also sounds good, where you can open when you like! Maybe something like that in Essen , which I like very much:

http://www.classic-plane-mrr.de/

Edit; This good old fashioned one closed today at the Krayer street in Essen. Visited it usually once in a year till 2012, but Detlev Schorsch has put a right plan to keep this little very good one alive!! He's a great polite man and a honest one from what i can say or judge.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Well done Ced.

I retired twelve years ago after forty years of jobs. Loved working, just hated the way it was disfigured by the concept of employment. No more team building, no more committees, no more KPIs, etc....

I always felt that my attainment of a state of economic uselessness (and I am not inferring this applies to you) was, well, quite liberating.

Happy retirement and on with the builds!

Michael

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Michael - good advice! I think I might just build it OOB. But it wouldn't take much to move a window. Or two. Dither dither...

Thanks Tony - I shall infer something at my leisure!

Thanks John - hopefully I'll get (re)started soon.

It is DONE! I have today completed the sale of my company and I'm now RETIRED! Aha ha ha ha....

Not 'buy a yacht and sail the world' retired, just stopping the daily drudge (and fighting off SWMBO's wish to replace it with DIY drudge!)

I now have nothing to do and I'm going to enjoy doing that for a while until I get bored. I haven't had the time to be bored for a LONG time...

Plus some modelling, of course.

We're off to Blenheim with the girls tomorrow, back Sunday, and I hope to get some bench time then. About time!

Watch this space...

Congratulations Ced! That's excellent news... I look forward to builds from the new chilled out retired you!

Rob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If your retirement is anything like mine Ced, you won't find the time to get bored...!! Just wait till the grand kids arrive...:D

Keith

Ah yes, the grandchildren.

Have you any idea what it is like to have a grandchild and two whippets in the back room when all you want to do is try out your new Badger dual action airbrush?

Michael

• Like 3

Nothing to do now you're retired? Yeah right. I never used to believe people who told me that after they retired, they didn't know how they'd ever found the time to go to work.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

John

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Michael Enright said:

Ah yes, the grandchildren.

Have you any idea what it is like to have a grandchild and two whippets in the back room when all you want to do is try out your new Badger dual action airbrush?

Michael

Replace the whippets with a Newfoundland & an utterly mental Golden Doodle, & personally, yes, I do have the idea....!!

Keith

• Like 3