WNW Fokker E.IV

Hi,

after a long time of little modeling progress I've finished my WNW Fokker E.IV. As usual, a delightful model to build - especially the interior. It is "upgraded" with a Taurus engine, some HGW fabric seatbelts, and Gaspatch (1/48) turnbuckles. It was painted with a combination of Tamiya/Gunze acrylic lacquers, Drooling Bulldog lacquers and Schminke inks. It is supposed to represent E.IV 161/16 (Lt. Muller) of Kest 6 in April 1917 - WNW option D; i.e. it is a late survivor and I have interpreted the paint scheme liberally - using the photograph - to show the accretion of the various camouflage practices from 1915-16/early 1917. For example I've interpreted the pale tone on the starboard wing as lilac:

1. Basic factory unbleached linen for fuselage (except dorsal), ochre varnished/dyed flying surfaces and upper fuselage.

2. Light streaky field application of green and brown on fuselage sides.

3. Overpainting of upper wing crosses (and tailplane) with light brown, light green and lilac, leaving inner part of wings in factory finish.

4. Camouflaging of the aluminium cowl and fuselage decking with dark green and red-brown.

I've also tried to represent the various oil staining seen in various photos on both lower fuselage and wings. It is rigged with de-stranded Easyline for main wires, UVR for control lines, the turnbuckles attached flexibly to small copper-wire loops.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

GrahamB

DSC_0005_zpssfftldgf.jpg

DSC_0007_zpsvxtfgdve.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsar76wwlg.jpg

DSC_0010_zpsznavnuoi.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsoobhsqfi.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsrpbekbny.jpg

Edited by GrahamB
spelling mistakes
  • Like 19

Like others have said, that really is outstanding. Great interpretation of the colours, and I really like the oil soaked underside/lower fabric. It looks just like in the old photos.

Cheers

John

Very good model with excellent weathering - I like the wear on the painted aluminium cowl and as some else said the oil staining on the fuselage.  

Andrew. 

An outstanding example of modelling.  Beautiful and convincing finish, great rigging work and I love the laminated prop paintwork.  Very interesting to see an E.IV in this scheme as I usually associate it with the D.II and D.III.