Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The tininess is purely the reduction to 1/72.  Even my behind appears quite svelte when shrunk to a seventy-tooth of its real girth.

Can we leave your bottom out of this Crisp, some of us have yet to eat! :puke::puke:

Martian of the Churning Stomach

• Like 4

Thanks for the reminder, the pictures in the Navy Bird thread show quite clearly that the walls etc are indeed Light Admiralty Grey-alike cheers Keith

Well

That is it

The new seat is in the hands of the chemists...

This is the sealed Legoalike box ready for some latex

P1130374.jpg

Walls, floor and outsides sealed with all sorts of bodges

The seat is to be quite a tight fit, latex saving mode on...

P1130376.jpg

P1130378.jpg

here we go let's whip some bubbles up huh

P1130379.jpg

I do not want tiny bubbles trapped alongside the buck so I have tried preloading the buck with debubbleised latex first

P1130380.jpg

It looks like a little pink 'long blob' at the moment

The pictures of 'bombs away' didn't work out, missed all the direct dropping into the hole so I've concentrated on finishing the job, here we have the buck held static in the mould with a mildly vibrating toothbrush

That doesnt work very well I susoect

:(

P1130384.jpg

P1130386.jpgThis was me attempting to vibroeject bubble

Wasn't working very well :(

Oh well as I said

Chemistry now in charge

Oooer missus

• Like 9

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Martian do you happen to know whether I need dark sea grey for the cockpit?

I know you have extensive knowledge of these things and I'd appreciate your advice

I thought it was Dark Admiralty Grey but I stand to be corrected on this.

Latex action eh? That will guarantee Ced's appearance in a shot!

Martian

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought it was Dark Admiralty Grey but I stand to be corrected on this.

I think you are probably right M, it was why I stuck the question mark after Light, memory is not what it was & it was a 50/50 choice...! 

K

• Like 1

(Oh good grief, they're comparing bottoms now! Ahem...)

Latex action - yeah baby! (That reaction was just for Martian, I'm seriously interested, honest!)

Bill where did you get your 'various bodges' from? I need to order some, obviously...

The brush might work better if you take off the brush bit and just press the metal bit against the Lego - that's what I did and the bubbles seemed to come out in a few minutes. I think the bristles might be cushioning the vibration effect.

More joint experiments needed...

• Like 3

That does sound much more like it

My brush has emery paper glued to it instead of nylon bristles

Difficult to get between the teeth but across em?

Magic our Ced

Next time I'll give it a try

The chemistry? Worked a treat

Just been in to deLegoalike the rubber bit

Looks good so its all down to the resin now

I'll photomegrape the resin going in process for number one then get it postimage.orged and on screen

Expect the exit poll around mid-day. ⌚

• Like 5

Well here we are again

First thing this a.m.

P1130387.jpg

Rubber nice and rubbery, time to demount the Legoalike

P1130388.jpg

Dismantlement for the sake of breaking something, guess whose take on the method that is...

P1130392.jpg

the writing on the baseplate shows me which end is the back of the seat so I can cut the rubber away to allow easy extraction

P1130393.jpg

Like so, you can see little bits of latex that got stuck to the buck, we'll see if this affects the casting much/any later

P1130394.jpg

Resin time coming up, yes that is me in those sexy gloves  Part A the cup got 6mg first

P1130395.jpg

Then it got 6 more of Part B

P1130397.jpg

Which was then whizzed around and decanted into a small syringe with a wide holed needle on it, then deposited into th ebase of the mould, wriggled around for a bit whilst being lifted up out of the mould

P1130398.jpg

which was put aside to cure, no don't do the one "I didnt know it had been ill", it wasn't good first time around

P1130400.jpg

This is the twenty minute bodge test, seeing whether the resin had begun hardening yet, It had

P1130401.jpg

smile for the camera Mr Seatymcseatface, not entirely happy but there isn't a lot to sort out before I use this

An air bubble in the seat back cushion, a couple of resin bubbles to pop off, quite easy really phew

P1130404.jpg

A small void under the seat cushion too

P1130407.jpg

A blob to extract from the seat back parachute pack hole (straps come through there on the proper seat)

P1130408.jpg

fair enough on this side though

P1130409.jpg

OK here too

I will bung a couple more through and see how they run

Of course I may need to recast, good job I saved some latex

Looking for Dark Admiralty Grey now, I have a cockpit to paint, detail and close up

Somebody said Tamiya 63, hmm not convinced but I don't want Humbrofix 6 Gloss Grey, this won't be dry by Christmas if I use that

• Like 12

Nice Bill, very nice.

Black SWAT gloves nicely offset by the pink scales - very clever... in the event of a raid they'll definitely not suspect anything. :D 

• Like 3

I hope you feel happy now you have rumbled my secret plan to get away with it

You pesky kids  blah blah submarines  secret plans spies blah blah  pesky kids  blah

OK I'll come clean, the scales were intended for the governor to use in the kitchen but she didn't take to them

"My old Salter Scales is good enough for me I've used them for fifty years why don't you like the food I slav......."

etcetera etcetera

So I appropriated them for the use they are ideal for, they adjust for tare so I can zero them with a plastic cup on, and everything

Pretty good kit, emphasis on pretty in pink  :(

It seems I mean Humbrol 5 not Humbrol 6  dohhh!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

I hope you feel happy now you have rumbled my secret plan to get away with it

You pesky kids  blah blah submarines  secret plans spies blah blah  pesky kids  blah

Do we get Scooby Snacks then?

I have to say I am rather taken with these seats. Maybe you really should knock a few more off to sell to those looking for decent Buccaneer seats in this scale.

Martian

• Like 2

I do like the resin seat, great job :clap: Can't wait to see it painted :Tasty:

I'm also pretty undecided as to what is sexier between the black gloves and the pink scale ... :D:D

Ciao

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I have to say I am rather taken with these seats. Maybe you really should knock a few more off to sell to those looking for decent Buccaneer seats in this scale.

That is a fine idea, oh alien one.....

R U listening Bill...?!

Keith

• Like 2

excellent job on the seats Bill.  When I'm casting I generally fill about 75% then have a rummage around inside the mold with a cocktail stick trying to ensure that I poke into all those hard to reach crevices and wotnots, then top up with the remaining 25%

It can be a bit of a challenge in this heat where I find that the resin starts to go off in around 60 seconds, but it seems to help eliminate some of those bubbles and voids on the finished part

• Like 1

That is the basic method I use too Hendie, it worked better with this evening's fill

P1130412.jpg

As you can see there were still some bubbles to whip off

but on the whole the second one has filled better than number one, a reversal of the 'usual' scheme of things

P1130414.jpg

still a little void under the left seat pad but nothing we cannot model out of it  Lots of free little "touch me and I fall off" bubbles to clear out

P1130415.jpg

The improvement shows as we move from left to right

The back pad is full this time and the seat looks better

I'll be cast-filling a few of these, Gareth wants a couple don't you G

Keith and Martian I appreciate the compliment but these are nowhere near commercial after-market quality and each one will need some cleaning up

How cheap would they have to be?

:)

• Like 5

I'd buy you a coffee anyway you daft beggar  :)

There will be resin there for you after all, so?

Just a thought

Will the Mini be at Telford like my garage workbench will?

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Looking better and better, Bill :worthy:

Would a vacuum chamber help in both mould making and resin casting?

(I'm definitely going to look for a suitable supplier of this moulding stuff when I get back from my hols)

Ciao

• Like 1

I will be trying to build a vacuum chamber Giorgio, the removal of unwanted bubbles from the latex is a high priority for me

For filling with resin a few applicator needles for hypodermic injectors is important and as Hendie just mentioned a few cocktail sticks to encourage the resin to find little corners and crevices

The mixtures of rubber and catalyst and two part resins means using a scales (even pink ones) is useful but I have even succeeded by estimating the amounts of each

If you get the resin mix slightly wrong you might find it leaves the mould in a bendy state, leave it aside and it will harden

(A benefit to bendy resin is it is feasible to cut the mould fill block away with a modelling knife whilst soft, a property I enjoy using better than sanding the stuff away)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, CedB said:

The brush might work better if you take off the brush bit and just press the metal bit against the Lego - that's what I did and the bubbles seemed to come out in a few minutes.

I'm with Ced on this one Bill.  My old brush had a removable brush head and I pressed the mounting stump on the body into plasticine stuck to the bottom of the Lego mould.  Like Ced I thought that the bubbles seemed to come out.  I'm looking forward to seeing your pressure cooker vacuum chamber tho' - definitely a better solution.

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I generally fill about 75% then have a rummage around inside the mold with a cocktail stick trying to ensure that I poke into all those hard to reach crevices and wotnots, then top up with the remaining 25%

I've stopped using a cocktail stick cos I'm a bit cackhanded and was prodding little flaws into the moulds........I've also stopped using a syringe cos I'm too lazy too clean it out each time......

Wot seems to work for me is to mount the master on a generous sized plug of plasticine when I make the RTV mould and that then means I have a generous space for a 'reservoir' of liquid resin when I pour it into the mould.

When I pour in the liquid resin I then quickly squeeze the mould several times from different sides of the mould to expel the air bubbles - which are then replaced by resin drawn down from the reservoir,  If need be I pop the air bubbles in the reservoir using a cocktail stick to prevent them being drawn back down into the mould.  Seems to work pretty reliably - altho' absent a pressure chamber I don't think you'll ever get a 100% success rate.

8 hours ago, perdu said:

The mixtures of rubber and catalyst and two part resins means using a scales (even pink ones) is useful but I have even succeeded by estimating the amounts of each

I keeps small quantities of parts A & B in eye dropper bottles and measure small quantities by equal numbers of drops.  15 drops of each seems about right for a 1/72 bang seat (Cedit (sic) to CT for that trick IIRC)

8 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm definitely going to look for a suitable supplier of this moulding stuff when I get back from my hols

You'll find it easy, fun and amazingly useful Giorgio.

Lovely seats Bill.  Don't throw away the moulds will you?  I can see me looking to cadge a couple if I do a Bucc in the future :thumbsup:

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5