Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

On 2017-6-12 at 11:17 PM, perdu said:

the one we used to drink in Hamilton in the sixties

Not 'Bruce's Cave ' by any chance?

Alancmlaird of this site and I should start a thread on Hamilton's pubs and women!

Regarding the retractable probe. I am sure that some of the early production ones had this including grey and white ones.

I'll discuss with mate who is Buccaneer fanatic and get back to you as he may have pictures from Lossie back then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It is a fabulous resource for contemporary information isn't it James? :)

I couldn't put it better myself Tony.

When I was younger I would buy old 'Flight' magazines when ever I saw them, especially the late '40s early '50s period.

I'm still surprised at just how much information was released, especially given the cold-war era in which it was published.

The Buccaneer, Sea Vixen and Victor in particular had very good articles put together on them.

The current online resource is truly amazing, reading up on information on various aircraft online and in books gives you one angle, but seeing the information as it was written, and in context of everything around it and of the time can put a whole new light on how we can understand things.

I'm really thankful that 'Flight Global' had the vision, and made the effort to scan and upload all that information.

Hope the Perduian one is enjoying his time in Le Mans!

My understanding is that all S.1s initially had the retractable refuelling probe during service. 

Some S.1s in later service had fixed probes fitted, but unsure when or how, perhaps looks more like a mod. state than a mark difference feature.

Ironic that in the 'Flight' article it mentions the lengths and advantages of have a retractable probe, only for all that to be apparently not important on the S.2.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'm still surprised at just how much information was released, especially given the cold-war era in which it was published.

Myself also. Given that the UK government had essentially handed over a bunch of Nene jet engines to Stalin in 1946 though, there seem to have been many quixotic decisions taken at various levels throughout the Cold War period.

20 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Hope the Perduian one is enjoying his time in Le Mans!

Perhaps we should redecorate the thread whilst he's away? Some tasteful wallpaper, maybe put on some music etc? :whistle::lol:

• Like 6

Regarding the probes, it does look like the issue is quite complex, as this excellent resource illustrates, http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Buccaneer_Index.html

As seems to be normal for aircraft modelling, find pics of the one you're making.

Apparently the main issue with the retractable set up was that it wasn't quite long enough for safe AAR.

• Like 1

These are all excellent  suggestions. :winkgrin:

If you enjoy playing with your organ whilst watching TV, what could be more functional than this space?

b87b3de44d850910c1a4219ee10e5644.jpg

I like the fact that there are two stools so that a close friend can join in.

• Like 9

Britmodeller does Changing Rooms: now there's a thought! It will be interesting to see what Perdu makes of the thread that he comes back to. Still, he asked us to keep it going for him.

Martian

• Like 1

I think the wallpaper thing is to help when drunk. You fall backwards, and can still see wallpaper, so think you must be still upright, and therefore fit to have another!

Ian

• Like 7

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I think the wallpaper thing is to help when drunk. You fall backwards, and can still see wallpaper, so think you must be still upright, and therefore fit to have another!

Ian

Sensible policies for a better Britmodeller!

Martian

• Like 2

Reminds me of the quote attributed to Dean Martin that you're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.

You're not drunk if you can still see the wallpaper actually sounds better! 

• Like 2

Bags the Baroness is Carol Smiley! and no, I am not going to be Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen. My skin's the wrong colour for a start!

Martian

PS: This might suit Bill:

original.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Does that room come with "smoking materials"?

Ian

Dunno, but I used to nick people for having the stuff the designer must have been on.

Martian

9 hours ago, Brit-in-RI said:

You lot keep going and you'll have a full house.

That's a thought How abut this?

daa640ed411d823561db74af2ce4f3e4.jpg

We thought we ought to get the Baroness to try t out for size before Bill gets back.

Man%20watching%20TV%20while%20on%20the%20toilet.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

We thought we ought to get the Baroness to try t out for size before Bill gets back.

Man%20watching%20TV%20while%20on%20the%20toilet.jpg

Scurrilous. False. Falsely scurrilous! 

I only have peach toilet tissue....

Martian sleeping pod. Globulous deluxe!

Screen-Shot-2014-01-14-at-1.02.17-PM.png

• Like 5