Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I can't really detect the canopy fit issues from the small smartphone screen (so judgment suspended till tomorrow, yer honor :coolio: ) but it sure is super-clear! 

Ciao

• Haha 1

Nice work Bill, she's progressing nicely!

I've got a CMR Bucc, wasn't aware of any nose shape issues, club friend built one years back & it looked superb. Despite having built a few full resin kits this one intimidates me for some reason, so it still lanquishes in its box. The typical CMR yellow tinted canopy that will mean me having to plunge mould a new one also doesn't help motivate me to start it...!! :lol:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think the nose is a big problem, just in itself not a good enough reason to buy the CMR to swap with the plastic kit versions

The moulding is a thing of beauty, if it were mine I would have started on it last night :)

• Like 3

She really looks like a Buccaneer!!!!

You're progressing very well Bill!:clap:

As we're talking about shapes...forgive me Bill, but I need to express a personal consideration... the Falcon canopy doesn't convince me. Fitted tothe kit...it looks a bit...too big...sort of double seater Starfighter-like and the wind screen looks a bit too flat...to my eyes the shape of the canopy by Matchbox looks more accurate and fits very well to the kit...I'd give it a thought...:wonder:

As for the CMR kit, it looks superb, but I think we're having much more fun with our Matchbox ones!!!:wink:

Edited by massimo2
  • Like 1

Sadly Massimo the Matchbox canopies are not an available option here and I am unconvinced by the framing which looks a bit 'Forth Bridge' to my eyes even although I agree the Falcon canopy needs more than a little too much trimming to be an easy 'fix'

I will make it work though, you will see

A snip here, a sliver off there...

Spaddad, not wrong (probably not grumpy too I aver ;) )

I remember the oldest iteration of that kit as the N.A.39 having a very specific colour call-out, Blue on top, White underneath and Gold radome

Didn't the radome fold back too?

Happy days

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, perdu said:

I will make it work though, you will see

A snip here, a sliver off there...

I have no doubts about that :thumbsup:  

I confirm the canopy is super-clear, even on the big screen - a bit of tweaking and you're good to go.

As opposed to Massimo, I have no advice to give about its shape and size, I know nothing about this aircraft - I guess you'll figure what suites you best :)

Ciao

I have been giving much mind-time to the canopy issue recently

I do have two Buccaneer kits without canopies, one is a murdered Frog moulds one

The other is the free Matchbox that came canopy less

I have two Falcon sets with Bucc lids on them, this one has been cut out to begin working on

I have one Matchbox canopy unused and I have one Matchbox that graced my model of a Red Flag desert cam one and escaped the cull when I chucked everything model related away in the eighties

So taking my colleague's concerns into account yes the Falcon is a bit wide but beautifully shaped in profile and is as clear as a bell

The Matchbox offering fits my model, mostly (it is not a good fit around the instrument strewn coaming because it is a thick moulding- no room under it) but the centre arch frame is massively over thick

And diabolically in the wrong place and angled up instead of at a tangent

The upper curve of the canopy is a bit suspect too

So I will be making a couple of my own reshapes

The Matchbox from the Red Flagger has been set in green stuff and the framing removed and today I will be mostly trying for some decent pull moulds off it

I may be some time...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, perdu said:

So I will be making a couple of my own reshapes

Aha! A chance for me to ask for a step-by-step please. Pretty please?

When you've suggested me 'pulling' a new canopy in the past I've thought 'How do you make the mould?'

Do you have to mould the outside of the kit part, then use that to make another mould for pulling?

You can't mould the inside of the canopy, obviously - too small and no detail.

So many questions...

• Like 3

Photographs of a sort Ced? Not a problem but what theory show may be difficult to see

I do have to reduce the outside dimension a little in order for the pulled version to not be massively oversized

A job for files and polishing pads

And the camera

Laters mates

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

I've only just noticed how wide the Falcon canopy is, seems to be quite a few mm wider than the spine?

If designed for another kit, is the spine wrong on this kit?

I do not think it is very oversized but it certainly does sit proud of the spine by a mm or so

I have not yet checked it against the Frog one but I suspect that is where it was intended to go

Visually the Matchbox spine compares reasonably with the drawings I have available

We'll get there soon. 😆

2 hours ago, perdu said:

I have been giving much mind-time to the canopy issue recently

I do have two Buccaneer kits without canopies, one is a murdered Frog moulds one

The other is the free Matchbox that came canopy less

I have two Falcon sets with Bucc lids on them, this one has been cut out to begin working on

I have one Matchbox canopy unused and I have one Matchbox that graced my model of a Red Flag desert cam one and escaped the cull when I chucked everything model related away in the eighties

So taking my colleague's concerns into account yes the Falcon is a bit wide but beautifully shaped in profile and is as clear as a bell

The Matchbox offering fits my model, mostly (it is not a good fit around the instrument strewn coaming because it is a thick moulding- no room under it) but the centre arch frame is massively over thick

And diabolically in the wrong place and angled up instead of at a tangent

The upper curve of the canopy is a bit suspect too

...well..for sure , missing the Matchbox parts and having two Falcon ones makes it a very good reason for using them!

..and on the other side ....NOT HAVING any Falcon canopies makes you LOVE the matchbox offer!!!:rofl:

I wouldn't say it's too thick...I'd just define it as..."robust":pie:and, being quite robust myself, this has created some sort of "camaraderie" between us!!!

I'm sure the sound isn't that of a bell, but more likely a "CRACK", as I've experienced on other canopies in the past...but I don't wanna try on this one!!!!:fingerscrossed:

Then , as you say , there are other things to be taken in consideration, as the fit with the coaming (I learn quickly!!!Attaboy!!!:smartass:) and in general with the area around the cockpit, which ends up being  different on every build.

For sure the Falcon offer is much more transparent and If you chose the closed canopy option, it'll make the difference!I'm having mine open, thus I've filed the inside bottom line on both sides , to match with the top fuselage and the painted frame will cover it.

Last but not least...(or was it the opposite???:hmmm:)due to the fantastic transparency of your Falcon canopy, I may have misjudged it and may be wrong!!!:D

thus...all the above can be resumed in two sentences.

1. I'm sure the Falcon canopy will be outstanding, once you're done with it.
  2. I'll use my Matchbox robust canopy!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by massimo2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

...it certainly does sit proud of the spine by a mm or so...

This is one of the best definitions I've heard for ages!!!

And it also applies to me,when , on most flights , I " sit proud" on any airline seat!!!!:headbang:

Need a diet!!!

• Haha 5

On 2/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, perdu said:

P1010189.jpg

Just going from this picture, it looks much wider? Especially the rear port edge.

I'm probably on the wrong course but I do wonder about that spine.  We have a Bucc canopy at work (it's huge!) but it doesn't appear to taper towards the rear in planform that much.

Obviously it is hard to judge with perspective etc.  Be interesting to know if the Frog one is wider and which one is nearer correct.

Worth noting at this point that the canopy arch is purely internal, ie there is no external frame work as depicted on some kit canopies, also that the canopy rear edge sits noticeably proud of the spine on the real aircraft.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just done a comparative on the Frog, Matchbox and the beautiful CMR upper fuselages

None of them actually fit the Falcon canopy, as you say James it is far too wide at the spine end

I have the inner frame issue sorted James, its pretty well all inside at the arch 

I'm off into the fridge to see if I can get some decent photos for Mr B to reference from

(Giorgio, I ought to have used 'refer to' above but as Ced wants a reference discourse I decided to mangulate my English again)

:)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1