Navy-ating Bucc's fizz - On the deck at last

I have tackled one of the little jobs which have been niggling me tonight

The Observer has a perspex/plexiglass type of clear blast screen between him and his chauffeur and getting its curve and location right has been a bane

I gave it another shot this evening but I am finding it very difficult to get the curve without the tweezers creasing the very thin acetate

How does this look

P1010155.jpg

?

Hmm looks invisible to me although it does need a thin black edge trim piece adding

P1010154.jpg

nah this one is even worserer

Better pictures when I edge the screen in black, sorry

• Like 8

22 hours ago, perdu said:

The Observer has a perspex/plexiglass type of clear blast screen between him and his chauffeur and getting its curve and location right has been a bane

How does this look

Rectangular base and a curved top edge.

A bit of a challenge to see from here, but guessing shape isn't the issue. To me it appears too tall though.

From my piccies it seems that the top edge of the screen is about 1/3rd of the way down the pilot's headbox on the bang-seat. 

• Thanks 1

I use small cutoffs from packing material when I need a curved windscreen. I can usually find the right curve somewhere among my packaging, but admittedly I have too much plastic lying around....

Ian

• Like 3

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

but admittedly I have too much plastic lying around....

Who doesn't? :D  :D  I like your idea for curved clear bits, Ian :clap:

Bill, I have no idea about that screen shape and size, but it shows up well in your pics :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

Cheers chaps, hairystick I know it needs to be lower however last night the idea was to get the screen in place

Today I should be able to trim the screen lower now it is firmly fixed in place by my new bottle of 560

I expect one of us has a new bottle too, I went back on Amazon to order 'another one of these' to discover the little box saying 'product unavailable, it is not known if further supplies can be expected' or words of that ilk, in that vein

Oh well!  😕

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Be careful with this Bill, the observers blast screen was only fitted towards the end of the S.1 service life.  Without checking (I will do when I get home) I think it was right toward the end of their carrier period and only some airframes getting it at that point.

Might be a case of checking the airframe that you are modelling - apologies if you have already taken this into account and please disregard if you have info to the the contrary.

unfortunately I can't see your pics due to works computer, but I'm sure it's cracking work as usual!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up on that

I will be making her one of those optioned on the decalsheet I bought

I'll check and decide this afternoon

Gotta make a decision some day, turns out that day is Wednesday 7th February

Who knew?

😁

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 4

I don't actually have that James, my superb research team can usually answer all of the intimate detail questions

😊

I know I want the higher rear cheat line version of the scheme, but it needs to tally with the serial numbers I have a chance to use on it

( I'll let you know which when I sort out which one it'll be thanks Mr Researcherer)

• Like 1

Thank you James, the die, she is cast

XN953 800 NAS HMS Eagle 1964 sound OK?

Aircraft number 109 and with the badge on the diamond shaped red patch and the raised grey/white demarkation we discussed before seen here on 103

The MA detail instructions show centre of the nib fairing to the tail tip, I feel the raised curved line looks better

She gets it

I could probably cobble up the 103 serial code but the larger white outline for the 3 would have to be a lash-up, so 109 it is!

P1010156.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, perdu said:

How does this look?

Hmm looks invisible to me although it does need a thin black edge trim piece adding

P1010154.jpg

nah this one is even worserer

I can't see it, but there's a very nice spinner at the side!!! and it's focused!!!

I'd say you just need to stand a bit back when you take pictures.

Anyway I can see the perspex on the first picture and I think you caught the shape!And this bit can be a real nightmare!!!

Well done!!!

:clap: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

The MA detail instructions show centre of the nib fairing to the tail tip, I feel the raised curved line looks better

Ahh, I see what you mean, like this,

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S1_XN953_files/S1_XN953a.html

I was thinking you meant the later scheme with the higher demarkation all round, ala'

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S1_XN934_files/0_S1_XN934-1.html

There is a good spread of colour 800 sqn S.1s in the book in the '64-'65 period but they don't have the screen.  There is a shot of '106' belly landed with the screen in Jul '66, but no unit badge.  If it helps, all their Buccs seem to have the fixed refuelling probe.

c.1964 is the era that Navy aircraft had that weird goldy/green coating on undercarriages etc

I think 1964 may be too early for that screen - but this is modelling!

Have you noticed that you can click and enlarge the IWM pictures to screen size now, first time I have seen that!

PS the Bullpups would look nice!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

Bullpups...

It is quite possible I have a Bullpup or two in my bombeyrockettanky box

Hmm

Yes James I think I want to keep the centre join scheme

Thanks 

I have trimmed the possibly redundant blast screen and it seems about right now

I will pop off a picture tomorrow, you can tell me, however to my eye it looks just about right where it is in Scimitar's shot of her in the latter days

Hmm that shiny EDSG radome is enticing

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

At the end of her service with 736 Squadron, XN953 had the observer's blast screen. I have no idea if this was fitted in your time scale though.

Blackburn_Buccaneer_S1,_UK_-_Navy_AN2247

That's XN957 at the FAAM museum.  953 ended up in the all over EDSG scheme and was eventually crisped at Predannack, 

Buccaneer S1, XN953

Pete Mitrovich - Flickr

Most of the later 736 sqn jets did have the screen fitted, as reflected by the majority of preserved S.1s

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

I agree wiv 'im

But I do accept we couldn't possibly have kept all of every type we owned, not having a million square miles of Davis Monthan type land lying around unused

Still makes you weep though  :(

• Like 1

Culdrose wasn't a good place for old Buccs S.1S to go to.  

Two S.1s ended up with the fire school at Predannack, you can also see XN934 clinging on for dear life in the background in the above shot, while XN954 moved on to become a movie star - being pushed off Ark Royal in Apr 74 for a Flight Safety film.

• Sad 1

I have decided a decide

This picture is inconclusive but seems to be in the suitable time frame

p1261790314-3.jpg

Nice picture including the inner and outer pylons

I thought initially that the light thing in front of the observer's mush was the white roofed building behind him and was going to whip the screen out, breathing a sigh of relief

But taking a better look at the airframe I note an anomaly, a white replacement intake duct on the fin

I am presuming this machine has been the benefactor of the usual MOD penchant for reducing to spares others in the fleet and that the duct was off an all-white machine

About to abandon the screen I took a closer look, dammit, I swear that is the screen just obscuring the obbo's face

Back to square one, I will keep the screen

Progress is being made with the outer wings, the hinges have been affixed in place with in the roots ready, almost for paint

I am hoping for better paint this time, I had considered lightening the grey 'big time' but as the picture here of 640 shows deeply dark grey I will use Jamie's paint straight from the tin, airbrushed by my cheapo Chinese a/b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

I would agree with you there Bill, a screen, however that is a 736 sqn jet in 1967.

I have been searching tirelessly on this (for my benefit I must say!) and have found this superb gallery featuring 800 sqn 1965-66 on Eagle. 

You can draw your own conclusions from the pictures, especially of '106' - I think it provides some good news! 

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/105650755591531455869/album/AF1QipOIEJYXNSbII72CwjQdHkf27MBGjmEyfOK8q9SA

The ejection and rescue sequences are especially interesting, and humbling.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2